PDA

View Full Version : Good News/Bad NEws

hleepert
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Good news it that I check the ice yesterday and we have four inches so I started ploing the ice rink. Bad news is I found a soft spot with the tractor(only 16 hours of use). I ran to get a rope from the barn and when I got back only a pool of water could be seen. I called a towing company and by 9:00PM it was on land. Unfortunatly the 4" thick ice did a considerable amount of damage. I am hoping home owners insurance covers it? Yesterday was my youngest's fourth birthday and it will be one I never forget. I think I don't need the ice and snow anymore and I'll be looking for work in a warmer climate!

I can't believe the ice ripped one of the back wheels clean off! Still looking for it on the bottom.

My neighbor has more pics but these are what I have of the aftermath.

peason
12-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Ouch! Sorry to here about this. Good thing you didn't go down too or that your 4 year old was riding with you.
We cleared our ice yesterday by shovel and with a small snow thrower - it's abot 4.5 inches thick here in the St. Paul/Minneaplois area. The ice fisherman have been fishing for about a week.

Good luck with the insurance claim.

bigmac
12-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Ouch! Man, I'm sorry that happened. I noted yesterday morning that there are two fish houses in our bay, and last night I was horrified to see a Jeep driving out to one of them.

I hope the insurance company steps up, but most policies specifically exclude going through the ice. Around here, it's pretty well known a licensed motor vehicle's insurance becomes void the moment it goes out on the ice. I don't know how homeowner's insurance would view it. Good luck.

6ballsisall
12-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Major bummer man! Most importantly glad to hear you are ok. Take it from a guy who has gone under the ice and saw his life flash before his eyes, it is INCREDIBLY freaky!

Good luck on the insurance route. I think your chances for payment will increase greatly if you know your agent well.

east tx skier
12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope your kiddo had a good bday!

milkmania
12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
ohhhhhhhh.......... I thought you said tractorhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/poke2.gif

seriously though, sure seems like a lot of damage:(

vegashomeexpert
12-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Did you get the tag # of the guy that hit you? ;) Ouch, talk about a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. Sorry it had to happen, especially on your sons b-day. Hope the rest of it was good!

bigmac
12-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Unfortunatly the 4" thick ice did a considerable amount of damage. I am hoping home owners insurance covers it? Yesterday was my youngest's fourth birthday and it will be one I never forget. I think I don't need the ice and snow anymore and I'll be looking for work in a warmer climate!

I can't believe the ice ripped one of the back wheels clean off! Still looking for it on the bottom.

How did that happen? I presume that the tow truck just dragged the thing out from the shore through the ice?

Usually, when vehicles are recovered around here, the dive team will set up a frame so that they can be pulled up through the hole and thereby avoid that - I saw them recover a Bobcat that way. Having seen them work several times, I'd guess that in your case they would have used a chain saw and opened a path from the sinking point to the shore before trying to tow it out.

bcampbe7
12-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Oh that gave me a sick feeling in my stomach!
I have that exact tractor (25 hours on mine) and I know what that bad boy costs! :eek:

I am glad you are OK. Material things can be replaced, life cannot.

Ric
12-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Good lord that thing looks completely ruined! Glad you made it out ok.

hleepert
12-11-2005, 01:53 PM
How did that happen? I presume that the tow truck just dragged the thing out from the shore through the ice?

Usually, when vehicles are recovered around here, the dive team will set up a frame so that they can be pulled up through the hole and thereby avoid that - I saw them recover a Bobcat that way. Having seen them work several times, I'd guess that in your case they would have used a chain saw and opened a path from the sinking point to the shore before trying to tow it out.

Fortunately the roll bar was only a couple of feet below the surface so we fished a rope and then a chain to it and then started pulling with the winch on the tow truck. The chain cut a slot in the ice until the roll bar was breaking through. We used the chainsaw to cut a slit for the chain to follow but the chain wanted to follow its own path. We could have called a diver but we thought we could pull it under the ice until it was shallow enought that we would cut a hole to puul it through. The ice broke just as we got it in shallow water and then when it pulled up on top we saw the wheel was gone and the frame was bent up. We ended up pulling it about 120' before we got it on top of the ice.

hleepert
12-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Ouch! Man, I'm sorry that happened. I noted yesterday morning that there are two fish houses in our bay, and last night I was horrified to see a Jeep driving out to one of them.

I hope the insurance company steps up, but most policies specifically exclude going through the ice. Around here, it's pretty well known a licensed motor vehicle's insurance becomes void the moment it goes out on the ice. I don't know how homeowner's insurance would view it. Good luck.

The guy that towed me out last night said that he pulled two cars from lakes last year and the insurance companies paid all but the deductables! So I am hoping I have similar luck with mine.

Leroy
12-11-2005, 02:22 PM
That's too bad, breaks my heart to see a Deere like that.

Hope you are wearing a life jacket out there, or wetsuit. Anyone ever tie couple of long poles under their machines so they will not fall through?

jimmer2880
12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Wow... that's scary stuff. Glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully the insurance will cover the tractor for you. Next time - use your neighbor's tractor;)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
4" of ice, you must have found a really thin spot, or an air pocket. I never would have thought. Sorry to see, it's a nice machine. You're lucky you weren't on it.

hleepert
12-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Well a week later and the bottom line is that the tractor looks to be totaled. I have it at another shop and they think they might be able to repair it for less than $5K. A new 2305 is going to be about $9K and I am trying to get about $3 -4 K from someone for salvage. Also selling the sleds to help out.

You may be asking what did insurance cover? Well it covered nothing! Take a look at your policy and you will likely see that you have special or all perlis coverage for your structures and broad perils coverage for your contents. Special perils means that any peril that is not listed is covered so falling through the ice would be covered since it is not listed. Broad coverage give you coverage for only the perils listed like wind, sleet torando and yes volcanic eruption. To get the special perils coverage on my contents would have costed about $275/year. But since I wasn't told this coverage was available until last week I obviously didn't buy it.

I am trying to work out a deal with my agent on the loss but I don't hold much hope for any success but we will see.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Well that stinks.
Didn't you say it was stolen?.....;) I don't recall a word about ice...;)

roddydog
12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm with you, offer up no information..........PERIOD....