PDA

View Full Version : Homevideo software

Workin' 4 Toys
12-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Anyone else make and edit their own home videos? I have been using Pinnacle, but want to know if I am missing the boat on something. Let me know what you are using.

whitedog
12-10-2005, 08:09 PM
ULEAD'S Video Studio 7. Lets you record analog and Digital video, edit, animate, audio dubb ect. Yu can save the video in almost any format including DVD and analog.

They may have a newer version by now. I have had this for about a year.

bigmac
12-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Anyone else make and edit their own home videos? I have been using Pinnacle, but want to know if I am missing the boat on something. Let me know what you are using.

I've used Premiere on both Mac and PC for years, and it pretty much sucked. I've also used Pinnacle and thought it was worse. I recently had a project I had to get done on short notice assembling video from several different file types and picked up Premiere Elements for something like $50 after all the stupid Best Buy rebates. I found Premiere Elements to be really very good. Fast, with smooth previews, fast rendering, and flexible output.

SKI*MC
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I have Arcsoft, i edited a skate video that me and my friends did, it ended up preety good to.

pilot02
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Bigmac, what version of Pinnacle? I'm not familiar with the others but have been happy with the Pinnaclpro for what I've used it for. Maybe I'm missing out as well though.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Bigmac, what version of Pinnacle? I'm not familiar with the others but have been happy with the Pinnaclpro for what I've used it for. Maybe I'm missing out as well though.
I've used it for awhile, and the upgrades seem to be as much or more than the new software packages. The bestb*y people pushed me on the pinnacle again, but I'd bet they have a kickback of some sort. So I wanted to see what the good stuff is. I may go monday if I get a chance and start fresh.

Any chance you know if these new programs will allow Itunes music files if in the proper format?

bigmac
12-11-2005, 09:36 AM

IIRC it was PinnaclePro. The problem I had with Pinnacle was smooth preview rendering. Scrolling in the edit window or on the timeline was too choppy for accurate editing without clicking frame-by-frame.

bigmac
12-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Any chance you know if these new programs will allow Itunes music files if in the proper format?

The thing that attracted me to Premiere Elements was it's flexibility in the files that it can import and its export formats.

Video file types
AVI Movie (.avi)
Filmstrip (.flm)
MPEG Movie (.mpeg, .vob, .mod, .mpe, .mpg, .m2v, .mp2, .mpv, .m2p, .m2t)
Windows Media (.wmv, .asf)
QuickTime Movie (.mov, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m4a, .m4v)
Note: To import video from mobile phones (.3gp and .mp4) you must have QuickTime 6.5.2 or later installed on your computer.

Audio file types
Dolby AC-3 (.ac3)
Macintosh Audio AIFF (.aif, .aiff)
mp3 Audio (.mp3)
MPEG Audio (.mpeg, .mpg, .mpa, .mpe, .m2a)
QuickTime (.mov, .m4a)
Windows Media (.wma)
Windows WAVE (.wav)

The problem with the commercial internet downloads, both .WMA and Apple's .AAC, are that the copyright issues may leave those file types with some encoding issues that may prevent playing the files back in any of the current non-linear editing programs. However, Quicktime has the capability of converting the .AAC files into MP3 files, which are easily imported and edited in Premiere Elements (I don't know about the others).

I've been doing NLE for many years and have been though a number of programs, both Mac and Windows. The absolute best is Final Cut Pro, no question, but it's very intricate. My overall favorite was EditDV/Cinestream, but they're out of business. I've never had good luck or been impressed with Pinnacle, and I found Ulead to be too arcane to be useful to me. I have always had Premiere, but hated it - buggy, cumbersome piece of crap. I have to say, Premiere Elements, for me, has been the best I've worked with, and for $70, it has truly amazed me.

east tx skier
12-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I've had good luck with Pinnacle Studio 8 for editing. Nero for creating menus and burning. The preview gets choppy with huge files, but a save and restart has always aleviated the problem. DV captures are good. Analog grabs are lossy, but not to a very noticeable extent. Don't do them anymore, so it's not really an issue.

Anyone know if I can do alternate audio tracks in pinnacle? We were laughing yesterday watching home movies and all the women kept saying their butts looked big. I wanted to plant a mic and do a commentary track.

Also, is there a way to add music from files on the hard drive. The only way I've been able to do it in the past is from a CD (.cda file).

Workin' 4 Toys
12-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Anyone know if I can do alternate audio tracks in pinnacle? We were laughing yesterday watching home movies and all the women kept saying their butts looked big. I wanted to plant a mic and do a commentary track.
Any chance you need help editing the BIG BUTS video. I'll be getting the new program and will want to try it out....;)

east tx skier
12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Sorry, it's already edited. ;)

Cloaked
12-11-2005, 08:53 PM
I have an 8mm cam-corder tape I'd like to get onto a DVD.

Lemme' ask this with what little I know, please?

Camcorder play out, into a video card on PC. Use a DVD converting software to convert whatever the file type may be from the 8mm (i haven't a clue) and convert to an avi, etc... Then burn to a DVD.

And whome ever may step up and say I am on the right track, elaboirate please anything that an InjunEar needs to know.

Yes, no , maybe right track?

I thank you and my dog thanks you.

east tx skier
12-11-2005, 09:02 PM
You'll need some analog video capture software. Lots of burning software has a capture function. I figure it'll have an analog frame grab.

Cloaked
12-11-2005, 09:11 PM
You'll need some analog video capture software. Lots of burning software has a capture function. I figure it'll have an analog frame grab.Thank you and that is a start. Lemem post this for a while and browse please. I want to think I have everything available to me here. But then again, it looks like a lot of DVD backup software.

Leroy
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Sporty; Unless you have 1394 interface. Then the capture software normally can control the camcorder. At least that is how I do it. I have a Mini DV RCA camcorder.

Lemme' ask this with what little I know, please?

Camcorder play out, into a video card on PC. Use a DVD converting software to convert whatever the file type may be from the 8mm (i haven't a clue) and convert to an avi, etc... Then burn to a DVD.

And whome ever may step up and say I am on the right track, elaboirate please anything that an InjunEar needs to know.

Yes, no , maybe right track?

I thank you and my dog thanks you.

Cloaked
12-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm listening and learning....

:clap: :clap: :big thankyou:

bigmac
12-11-2005, 10:07 PM

8mm as in Digital 8 (digital), or 8mm as in Hi8(analog)? It makes a huge difference in ease (and expense) of conversion and quality of the final output.

Cloaked
12-12-2005, 05:41 AM
8mm as in Digital 8 (digital), or 8mm as in Hi8(analog)? It makes a huge difference in ease (and expense) of conversion and quality of the final output.Analog....

Leroy
12-12-2005, 07:02 AM
I think that implies no IEEE 1394 port, meaning analog in is your only option. But you may have that port.

bigmac
12-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Analog....

In that case, you will need an analog capture device of some kind in order to get the video digitized and into your computer. There are lots of ways to do that, ranging from $30 software to $1000 dedicated hardware. Unfortunately, it's one of those situations where the more you spend the better quality is the output. You will need someway of connecting the RCA plugs of your camera's output to your computer. These can range from a PCI analog-digital capture card to those that connect to your computer's USB 2.0 or IEEE1394 port. The best known is probably the Pinnacle Dazzle (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Dazzle/?dz=1) line. The quality is only fair IMHO, but that hardware is probably your best ban-for-buck and should do everything you want it to do. Note that the quality of your computer is important - you will need a pretty fast hard drive and plenty of storage space on it, a fast processor and a lot of RAM. If your computer doesn't have those things, it's still possible to do the job, but your frustration levels will increase significantly.

Unless you plan to do this a lot (make DVDs out of analog video tape), assuming this particular tape is a one-time shot, I would take or send the tape to some sort of production house. For a fee that is probably less than the (not-so-hot) capture software you'd buy, they can turn it into a high quality digital video file that you can in turn edit in your computer, render, and burn DVDs to your heart's content. If you have lots of analog tapes to convert, it might indeed be more cost-effective to buy the necessary hardware.

I do this a lot. I use a Sony GV-200 Video Walkman (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JQQ6/102-4230691-2808910?v=glance&n=172282). It connects to my computer via Firewire (IEEE1394) - I can pop in an analog tape and it performs the analog-digital conversion that can in turn be captured by the Premiere/Pinnacle/whatever software into the computer for editing. After it's edited, titled, transitioned, that editing software then has the capability for several different types of output, including DVD burning software. Premiere Elements will even output it to both versions of MPEG4 so it can be uploaded and played back on a cellphone or video iPod.

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 11:05 AM
BigMac is right on target. This is just to elaborate a bit. I've got a little experience with the analog grab of the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV. Even with a reasonably fast system and lots of ram (2.4 Ghz and 750 mg ram), you will have some dropped frames with an analog grab. It will look, for the most part, fine, but there will be a jump from time to time. I'd recommend that you get a moderately priced Mini DV camera. Not only will you be able to do digital firewire (1394) transfers, but you can use the camera to tranfer your analog videos to digital (you use it like a vcr). The Pinnacle software and card for analog transfers was $100. A mini dv camera can be had for just a little more (relatively). I think that's the best way to go.

bigmac
12-12-2005, 11:21 AM
BigMac is right on target. This is just to elaborate a bit. I've got a little experience with the analog grab of the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV. Even with a reasonably fast system and lots of ram (2.4 Ghz and 750 mg ram), you will have some dropped frames with an analog grab. It will look, for the most part, fine, but there will be a jump from time to time. I'd recommend that you get a moderately priced Mini DV camera. Not only will you be able to do digital firewire (1394) transfers, but you can use the camera to tranfer your analog videos to digital (you use it like a vcr). The Pinnacle software and card for analog transfers was $100. A mini dv camera can be had for just a little more (relatively). I think that's the best way to go.

Good point. As I mentioned, I use a Sony GV-200 Digital Walkman, but that thing is $500 +, and a DV camera would be a better investment since all of the newer cameras will do analog-digital conversion pass-through. The only other thing I'd add is that Digital 8, which uses the exact same compression scheme as MiniDV, tends to be cheaper than MiniDV. Their quality is not as good due primarily to much more variable tape quality, and cheaper lenses, but they do tend to be a lot cheaper and are edited the same way.

Leroy
12-12-2005, 11:30 AM
The other alternative is simply buy a DVD recorder. I'm getting ready to do that now that they are below $100. Made to handle audio in, get DVD disc out, but limited (none?) edit capability.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
The other alternative is simply buy a DVD recorder. I'm getting ready to do that now that they are below $100. Made to handle audio in, get DVD disc out, but limited (none?) edit capability.
Mine had zero edit capability. Now, its collecting dust. And yes it was $700.00 when it first came out. What a waste.

Cloaked
12-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks to all for the great info and tips.. You guys rock!... I'm on it....

Workin' 4 Toys
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Good point. As I mentioned, I use a Sony GV-200 Digital Walkman, but that thing is $500 +, and a DV camera would be a better investment since all of the newer cameras will do analog-digital conversion pass-through. The only other thing I'd add is that Digital 8, which uses the exact same compression scheme as MiniDV, tends to be cheaper than MiniDV. Their quality is not as good due primarily to much more variable tape quality, and cheaper lenses, but they do tend to be a lot cheaper and are edited the same way.
Stopped in BB today. I did not realize the Premiere Elements you were talking about was Adobe. The version I had checked out inthe store was 2.0. It was $99 with a $30rebate. The other was a Microsft version, I don't recall the name.
BTW..They had a Sony 100% digital VC. It was only $1899.00, I did not have the cash on hand for that:eek3: ........ anyway, so it is looking like I will go back for the adobe PE 2.0 unless someone can convince me I should give another software a once over.

bigmac
12-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Stopped in BB today. I did not realize the Premiere Elements you were talking about was Adobe. The version I had checked out inthe store was 2.0. It was $99 with a $30rebate. The other was a Microsft version, I don't recall the name.
BTW..They had a Sony 100% digital VC. It was only $1899.00, I did not have the cash on hand for that:eek3: ........ anyway, so it is looking like I will go back for the adobe PE 2.0 unless someone can convince me I should give another software a once over.

As we speak, my editing computer is rendering about 40 minutes of MiniDV of some horse clinic this past weekend for my wife using Premiere Elements. It captured the the whole thing in one gulp without even a hiccup. It's about 35 minutes into the rendering process and ticking along like I NEVER would have expected from Premiere 6.5. Add in the flexibility of output, the wide variety of effects that can be applied...I've been very impressed. When done, I'll pop in a DVD-R and burn it. I may also output it to MPEG4 for video iPOD.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
As we speak, my editing computer is rendering about 40 minutes of MiniDV of some horse clinic this past weekend for my wife using Premiere Elements. It captured the the whole thing in one gulp without even a hiccup. It's about 35 minutes into the rendering process and ticking along like I NEVER would have expected from Premiere 6.5. Add in the flexibility of output, the wide variety of effects that can be applied...I've been very impressed. When done, I'll pop in a DVD-R and burn it. I may also output it to MPEG4 for video iPOD.
NOT to make a huge left turn here, but what are you using for an editing computer? Or is it a custom build by yourself?
Me, I am going to be loading this on a Sony Vaio I picked up. I probably should have asked about this too before the purchase, but I was told they are great machines for this.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Oh, and are you on 2.0? Or another?

bigmac
12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
NOT to make a huge left turn here, but what are you using for an editing computer? Or is it a custom build by yourself?
Me, I am going to be loading this on a Sony Vaio I picked up. I probably should have asked about this too before the purchase, but I was told they are great machines for this.Using Premiere Elements 2.0 - bought at Best Buy with the same rebate you're looking at. I think that's an amazing deal.

I built the computer myself and use it for video editing, photo editing, and online gaming (FPS). It's a 64 bit AMD 3800+ with 2 gig of matched RAM and two 180 gig hard drives in RAID II and an nVidea 6800GT video card. Digital video only requires hard drive performance to be able to capture 3.6 megabytes per second, though, which is easily within reach of even a laptop's hard drive. I shoot crime scene video on miniDV for the Coroner's office and capture and edit it on the scene on my Dell D800 for the Sheriff's Dept to review while they're waiting for the BCA to show up, and I'll burn them a disk.

bigmac
12-12-2005, 06:12 PM

Sigh...as I went to burn the DVD, I re-remembered that I don't have a DVD burner in that machine. I recall the first Pioneer DVD burner I ever had - bought for a PowerMac about 4 or 5 years ago - was about $600. This afternoon I was able to buy the latest Pioneer 16x DVD+/-R, +/- RW AND dual layer as an OEM version from NewEgg for $39 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1167&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=5&Submit=Property) . Sheesh.

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 10:48 PM
If you can do mp4s, then just throw it on a cd. My next dvd player will do mp4s without fail.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Ok, I hope I don't sound like a total idiot. How can I take a clip from a video, and email it so about anybody could view it?

bigmac
12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Ok, I hope I don't sound like a total idiot. How can I take a clip from a video, and email it so about anybody could view it?

It all has to do with size, especially if you're talking about emailing it as an attachment, as opposed to uploading it to some web space and emailing a link so that friends/family can download it, or if you set it up that way, they can stream it. All of those things should be selectable options after you render the timeline and when you go to export the video. You'll have an option to export as movie, but that's just for recording to tape. You'll also have options to export as MPEG (1, 2, 4) or burn to a DVD. MPEG 1 is ubiquitous. Quicktime and WMP can do that easily. The later versions of QT and WMP can all do MPEG4 too.

If you're emailing attachment, I'd suggest you export from your editor as a small MPEG1 320x160 or smaller with a frame rate of about 15fps and a variable bit rate or low constant bit rate. Personally I like MPEG4, and that's the way I'd go., Another option would be DIVX, but you'd have to buy the encoder and your recipients would all have to download (free) the decoder.

BuoyChaser
12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
do a search on http://video.google.com man can you believe their stock is at $435/share, OUCH!!!

Leroy
12-20-2005, 07:31 AM
I just bought the same at Best Buy. Was tired of using using MS Windows Movie Maker. Too restrictive. I have an older Vaio media machine, but it has DVD burner and processor is around 3GHz.

Leroy
12-20-2005, 07:32 AM
And they say it is still cheap!

do a search on http://video.google.com (http://video.google.com/) man can you believe their stock is at $435/share, OUCH!!!

BuoyChaser
12-20-2005, 10:43 AM

i've got a Sony Digital Handycam (DCR-TRV350 NTSC)that records in Digital to a Digital8 tape, but the problem I've run into is that i believe the firewire port (DV) is actually analog, so it goes from digital to analog back to digital on my computer...i was using Dell's Movie Studio but the quality was awful...

look forward to checking out Adobe Premier LE, sounds like it's much easier to use...am i better off with a Digital 8 player and importing them that way, rather than using the camera...

what about the JVC or Sony that records direct to a hardrive within the camera??? http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders&CP=sony_hm_nav_elec_camcordershop

east tx skier
12-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm very curious about the hard drive cameras, too. Seems like that is the way to go. When you capture using the firewire, is your software setup for a mini-dv cam? I can capture in analog mode on the firewire if I forget to switch the capture source to mini-dv.

Leroy
12-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I looked at a panasonic hard disc camera Sunday and agree Doug, looks like the smart choice if you are going to edit the movies before burning to disk. If you just want to shoot and burn the DVD camcorders are probably best.

I would like to see better resolution and Sony's new HD camcorder is great, but for $2k! WOuld like to see around $1k retail high resolution camera.

bigmac
12-20-2005, 11:22 AM
i've got a Sony Digital Handycam (DCR-TRV350 NTSC)that records in Digital to a Digital8 tape, but the problem I've run into is that i believe the firewire port (DV) is actually analog, so it goes from digital to analog back to digital on my computer...i was using Dell's Movie Studio but the quality was awful...

look forward to checking out Adobe Premier LE, sounds like it's much easier to use...am i better off with a Digital 8 player and importing them that way, rather than using the camera...

what about the JVC or Sony that records direct to a hardrive within the camera??? http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders&CP=sony_hm_nav_elec_camcordershop

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 is what you want, not Premiere LE, which is a joke.

Firewire is nothing more than a high speed serial data transfer protocol, just like USB, or the earlier serial protocols on computers. So the data that goes across it HAS to be digital.

A digital camcorder sensor(s) record the analog data (what you're shooting), then converts that analog data into digital data and writes it to tape in the camera. When you go to capture that video into your computer using Premierie Elements (or whatever), you plug the camera into the computer's high speed serial data port (usually firewire, but some cameras can use USB 2.0). The camera can be controlled directly from the editing program. You click on "play" then hit capture when you find the part that you want to save into the program for editing and the digital data you select from the camcorder's tape is transferred to the computer's hard drive. You edit it etc, then decide what you want to do with it. If you want to send it back to VHS (analog) tape, you plug your VCR inputs into the camera's outputs (camera still connected via firewire) and select "export movie" from the editing program. When you click "export" you also hit record on your analog VCR. The digital data comes out of the computer over firewire and through the camera where it is converted from digital back to analog so it can be stored on the VHS tape.

If you're writing your edited video to a DVD, or to an MPEG 1, or MPEG 4, or .WMV, or .MOV or whatever, then the data remains digital. IOW, the only analog data in the whole system is what the sensors of the camcorder see - and it's immediately converted to digital in the camera, and remains so.

bigmac
12-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I looked at a panasonic hard disc camera Sunday and agree Doug, looks like the smart choice if you are going to edit the movies before burning to disk. If you just want to shoot and burn the DVD camcorders are probably best.

I would like to see better resolution and Sony's new HD camcorder is great, but for $2k! WOuld like to see around $1k retail high resolution camera.

It wasn't a problem in the old days (a year ago). A mini-DV camcorder would resolve about 525 lines, which is far better than any conventional TV. However, now that 1080i High Def TV's are getting down into the consumer affordability range, we have a whole new camcorder ballgame. Note that these new HD camcorders won't provide resolution advantage unless you're playing the output back through a 1080i-capable television that has the HD converter built in or attached.

I wasn't aware that Sony was making any camcorders that store to a hard drive or solid state memory. The JVC units write the video to a Microdrive (4 gig), and the Panasonic units write to SD cards. Both do that in MPEG 2. And I've seen some cameras that save in MPEG 4.

Amazing how fast things change in this arena.

BuoyChaser
12-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm very curious about the hard drive cameras, too. Seems like that is the way to go. When you capture using the firewire, is your software setup for a mini-dv cam? I can capture in analog mode on the firewire if I forget to switch the capture source to mini-dv.
what software are you using and camera???i like to edit my videos, crop, cut scenes, add music THEN BURN TO DVD...what is best program and quickest for doing this???

i love Google's Picasa for photo editing, viewing and slideshow IT'S FREE http://picasa.google.com/index.html

just waiting for Google to come out with a Video editing program...

BuoyChaser
12-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 is what you want, not Premiere LE, which is a joke.

If you're writing your edited video to a DVD, or to an MPEG 1, or MPEG 4, or .WMV, or .MOV or whatever, then the data remains digital. IOW, the only analog data in the whole system is what the sensors of the camcorder see - and it's immediately converted to digital in the camera, and remains so.

thanks for clarifying!!!did you find Premiere Elements 2.0 your favorite???finding it costs between $60-$100 http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/main.html

if i want to archive the videos from Digital 8 to store on my computer, what is best digital file format for that???still want to maintain quality for editing, but also not hog too much file space...have a 200gig external usb drive and only 60gig on my laptops hardrive...

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
It all has to do with size, especially if you're talking about emailing it as an attachment, as opposed to uploading it to some web space and emailing a link so that friends/family can download it, or if you set it up that way, they can stream it. All of those things should be selectable options after you render the timeline and when you go to export the video. You'll have an option to export as movie, but that's just for recording to tape. You'll also have options to export as MPEG (1, 2, 4) or burn to a DVD. MPEG 1 is ubiquitous. Quicktime and WMP can do that easily. The later versions of QT and WMP can all do MPEG4 too.

If you're emailing attachment, I'd suggest you export from your editor as a small MPEG1 320x160 or smaller with a frame rate of about 15fps and a variable bit rate or low constant bit rate. Personally I like MPEG4, and that's the way I'd go., Another option would be DIVX, but you'd have to buy the encoder and your recipients would all have to download (free) the decoder.
I forgot to mention I got the 2.0 you suggested. I hope to be able to mess with it tonight. If I can't figure out what you are talking about, I'll be sure to let you know. Reading it makes sense, but when I sit down to do it is another story.
Thanks.

BuoyChaser
12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
I wasn't aware that Sony was making any camcorders that store to a hard drive or solid state memory. The JVC units write the video to a Microdrive (4 gig), and the Panasonic units write to SD cards. Both do that in MPEG 2. And I've seen some cameras that save in MPEG 4. haven't seen a Sony unit yet, but figure it has to be out there...so how does the MPEG 2 quality of the JVC compare to the digital video of my Sony continuing to write to Digital 8...

Workin' 4 Toys
12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I used the APE 2.0 last night. Great suggestion. Works great and very simple. Now I just need to get used to the huge differences from the old program.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
thanks for clarifying!!!did you find Premiere Elements 2.0 your favorite???finding it costs between $60-$100 http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/main.html

if i want to archive the videos from Digital 8 to store on my computer, what is best digital file format for that???still want to maintain quality for editing, but also not hog too much file space...have a 200gig external usb drive and only 60gig on my laptops hardrive...

If you want to maintain editing capability then you'd want to save the project (premiere Elements calls the whole thing a project) and the clips you select that make up the project. Bear in mind that if you are scanning through a tape, find a section you want to keep, and capture it to your hard drive, the rest of the raw footage is still on the tape. So if you ever want to go back and ADD more footage, you'll have to go back to the tape. Bottom line, you may want to always save your raw footage (tape) so you can always recut. Now, you COULD just capture your whole tape, outtakes and all, to your hard drive. That would give you the maximum flexibility and you could save it to hard drive and then you could erase the tape, BUT, that captured footage will use 3.6 megabytes of storage for each second of video you capture. You may want to save the project and it's video clips in case you want to re-export it as something else. -- ie. you make the video you want and export it as an MPEG and email it to all your friends. Later you find out one of your friends doesn't have a computer but does have a DVD player, so you go back to Elements, pull up the project and re-export as a burn-to-DVD.

After the video is edited and rendered, you can save the project and the clips you captured on your computer and transfer them to your USB drive later, or you can save them directly to the USB drive. Two things to be aware of ...DV uses a LOT of disc space, and requires a reasonably fast hard drive.

When you capture video into Premiere Elements from your Digital 8, the captured clip is written to your hard drive at 3.6 megabytes per second. Most (not all) internal hard drives are capable of this and more, but an outboard USB 2.0 drive might not have the bandwidth to hack it since USB 2.0 is only capable of about 350 megbits/second (after accounting for overhead). Firewire 400 could probably do it, and Firewire 800 surely can. The other thing to be aware of is that at 3.6 meg/sec, 20 minutes of captured video is going to take up about 4.3 gigabytes of hard drive space.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I used the APE 2.0 last night. Great suggestion. Works great and very simple. Now I just need to get used to the huge differences from the old program.Yes, the more I use it, the more impressed I am with it. That horse video I exported as an MPEG because I realized, belatedly, that I didn't have a DVD burner in that particular computer. I bought a Pioneer 110 DVD burner for $39. I slapped it in the computer, pulled up the Project and it took about two clicks to start burning the DVD. It was only 20 minutes, so I set it for the maximum constant bit rate for the best quality since I had plenty of room on the DVD. It took almost 2 hours to burn the DVD.

BuoyChaser
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
If you want to maintain editing capability then you'd want to save the project (premiere Elements calls the whole thing a project) and the clips you select that make up the project. Bear in mind that if you are scanning through a tape, find a section you want to keep, and capture it to your hard drive, the rest of the raw footage is still on the tape. So if you ever want to go back and ADD more footage, you'll have to go back to the tape. Bottom line, you may want to always save your raw footage (tape) so you can always recut. Now, you COULD just capture your whole tape, outtakes and all, to your hard drive. That would give you the maximum flexibility and you could save it to hard drive and then you could erase the tape, BUT, that captured footage will use 3.6 megabytes of storage for each second of video you capture. You may want to save the project and it's video clips in case you want to re-export it as something else. -- ie. you make the video you want and export it as an MPEG and email it to all your friends. Later you find out one of your friends doesn't have a computer but does have a DVD player, so you go back to Elements, pull up the project and re-export as a burn-to-DVD.

so on a 60minute Digital 8 tape, I'm looking at 12,960MB per tape...since I've got a 200gig USB Maxtor drive, it certainly would be slow...so that means I'd only be able to put 13 tapes on 1 external drive...so with these drives looking at $1/gig

Maxtor OneTouch II 200GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive (Model: E01E200) $180
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6971048&type=product&id=1099386965391

P6-60HMPX - Hi8 - Digital 8 Metal Particle (60 Minutes) $7
http://www.tapeonline.com/store/dept-video.asp?dept%5Fid=1181

but maybe it would be better to free up my internal 60gig hard drive, then transfer to the usb later...but at the cost comparison, 1/2 price to keep all the originals to tape...

Leroy
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Buoychaser; Hence why you want to compress to MPEG2 or 4 quickly. My experience is that 60 minutes should be 1-2Gb normally, you can make it even less.

Studios fit 2 hour SVHS resolution movies on 5Gb DVD disc.

bigmac
12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
but maybe it would be better to free up my internal 60gig hard drive, then transfer to the usb later...but at the cost comparison, 1/2 price to keep all the originals to tape...

Yeh, that's what I do, back up to hard drives later.

I use a device called a Drive Dock (http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.php), and I connect it to a bare 3.5 inch hard drive, which you can pick up cheap (I just bought a bunch of WD 80 gig drives for $20 each from Best Buy with rebate). You COULD save your files to DVD-ROM, but two 9 gig DVD-R discs costs more than one of my 80 gig hard drives, and they are s-l-o-w.

Drive Dock

http://www.wiebetech.com/fonts/thumb.php?h=350&w=350&sf=/images/products//ComboDock_TM//&pic=ComboDock_Rear.jpg

bigmac
12-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Buoychaser; Hence why you want to compress to MPEG2 or 4 quickly. My experience is that 60 minutes should be 1-2Gb normally, you can make it even less.

ICBW, but I was thinking he was talking about archiving his original footage so he could re-edit later.

The 20 minute DVD that I burned that took two hours, I intentionally set at a really high constant bit rate. Most commercial DVDs use a variable bit rate (also selectable as a DVD export option in Premiere Elements) so they can get a two hour movie on a DVD, and generally the quality is pretty good.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-26-2005, 03:20 PM
What's the most video(DV) you have fit on a DVD before it looks unacceptable?

bigmac
12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
What's the most video(DV) you have fit on a DVD before it looks unacceptable?

Used to be an hour, but that was using a NLE that didn't allow for variable bit rate compression (Premiere 6.5 - older version) and iDVD. It used to be that constant bit rate was all you could get unless you paid $1000 for Final Cut Pro. Now, that choice of constant or variable bit rate is part of the settings that pop up when you choose "Send to DVD" from both iMovie HD and Premiere Elements 2.0. A good VBR scheme will get you 2 hours of pretty darn good video on a single DVD.

JohnnyB
12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Just got my broadband connection back (failed satellite components took me out for 6 weeks). Anyway, I've been using Pinacle 8.0 and for analog capture, it works pretty well if you turn off the video preview -- it doesn't seem to loose frames if its not taxing your PC to update the video preview during capture. I'll agree that Pinacle sucks for editing and doesn't have much in the way of customizing features like credits....menu setups are limited as well.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Just got my broadband connection back (failed satellite components took me out for 6 weeks). Anyway, I've been using Pinacle 8.0 and for analog capture, it works pretty well if you turn off the video preview -- it doesn't seem to loose frames if its not taxing your PC to update the video preview during capture. I'll agree that Pinacle sucks for editing and doesn't have much in the way of customizing features like credits....menu setups are limited as well.
You should try the Premier then. Real nice.

Leroy
12-31-2005, 09:41 AM
I love Premier Elements 2.0! I'm importing all of my old VCR tapes, Sony program and burning to DVD movie with PE2. Imported several mini-DV movies (past summer skiing) and burned to DVD with Menu and all. Wish they had a water ski menu template? Anyone?

Takes a day or so to get where you can burn a good DVD, but from there you can just keep adding features. Only downside is the burn time of 2-5 hours.

3event
12-31-2005, 09:45 AM
I have been a Pinnacle user for a few years, but I heard the new Studio V10 is unstable. Downloaded the Premiere Elements free tryout and like it.

EXCEPT, it appears that it really only wants 1 movie per DVD, but will allow you to place DVD markers that can appear as menu buttons.

I used to encode a number of short movies to keep file sizes manageable and then used MyDVD to import the movies and burn the DVD.

Anyone know if Premiere E will support placing multiple movies on the DVD as .avi files or other? Or add in SEPARATE slide shows?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I love Premier Elements 2.0! I'm importing all of my old VCR tapes, Sony program and burning to DVD movie with PE2. Imported several mini-DV movies (past summer skiing) and burned to DVD with Menu and all. Wish they had a water ski menu template? Anyone?

Takes a day or so to get where you can burn a good DVD, but from there you can just keep adding features. Only downside is the burn time of 2-5 hours.
I haven't got that far into it yet, but I thought you could make your own template....

Leroy
12-31-2005, 11:04 AM
WFT; I'm also guessing that is possible! Without using live shots there is not much water ski clipart to work with!

For now I'm just happy to burn a semi-professional DVD with menus!! Off to buy the big stack of blank DVD's.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I hope this is not a stupid question but I have to ask.

Now that I am making a bunch of my own home videos and putting them on DVD. How do I know FOR SURE in 20 years from now when I want to watch (for example) my daughter's first birthday party, I will be able to view them on DVD players of the future. Will I still have to keep "todays" DVD players around.
I think of this because I have a few VCRs and old VHS homevideos I made many years ago, and if I want to watch them I have to hook the VCR back up. It's not a big deal, but what will the future bring for my newly created HOME DVD's.

areamike
01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
ULEAD'S Video Studio 7. Lets you record analog and Digital video, edit, animate, audio dubb ect. Yu can save the video in almost any format including DVD and analog.

They may have a newer version by now. I have had this for about a year.

Yeah I agree, Ulead is pretty easy to use and I like it.(I think 7 is the latest)
However, for a quick video to post on a website, I use Windows Integrated Movie Maker Software. Quick and easy and you can overlay music and other features easily.

Leroy
01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
You can't anymore than the Sony Beta folks can keep watching their movies. Makes for new business or abilty to copy from one technology to another!

As a matter of fact in 20 years what you are doing now will likely not work. Still using 5.25 floppy disks from 10 years ago?

I hope this is not a stupid question but I have to ask.

Now that I am making a bunch of my own home videos and putting them on DVD. How do I know FOR SURE in 20 years from now when I want to watch (for example) my daughter's first birthday party, I will be able to view them on DVD players of the future. Will I still have to keep "todays" DVD players around.
I think of this because I have a few VCRs and old VHS homevideos I made many years ago, and if I want to watch them I have to hook the VCR back up. It's not a big deal, but what will the future bring for my newly created HOME DVD's.

bigmac
01-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, there's some doubt as to the archival stability of ANY of the optical media that's around today. Best bet for a 20 year life-span is likely to be at least dual-layer and probably Blue-Ray. As cheap as it is to make the devices we currently use, they'll likely be around for a long time. As I had mentioned previously, the first Pioneer DVD-R I bought was $600. The last one I bought, which was 16x and included dual-layer burning, was $40.

One thing's for sure, the video media we most typically will be using in 20 years will be completely different than anything available today, and probably hasn't even been invented yet. Maybe not even imagined yet...

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
So, that brings me to something I know works, and is EASY to fix. Do I make Copies of my videos onto VHS? Or would you think the videos I am making now will be able to be duplicated to the distant futures technology?

I think to myself now, why am I bothering. I keep my old video cameras "just in case" I need to replay the original tapes.

areamike
01-10-2006, 04:53 PM
So, that brings me to something I know works, and is EASY to fix. Do I make Copies of my videos onto VHS? Or would you think the videos I am making now will be able to be duplicated to the distant futures technology?

I think to myself now, why am I bothering. I keep my old video cameras "just in case" I need to replay the original tapes.

Transferring the VHS movies to DVD would be feesible.
Just need a Video capture card with S-Video in or one of those "Dazzle" units. You can then hook your VCR to your PC and capture the video from it and then transfer/burn it to DVD.
Mainly time consuming.

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
You'll drop lots of frames going straight from VHS to your PC in my experience. If you have a mini-dv, you can use that as a VCR, record from VHS to DVD, then do a capture via firewire. And, like areamike said, very time consuming.

I think what you're asking is is there a standard that will be timeless. And the answer is probably no. I'd go ahead and copy everything to the most recent standard. Because no matter what the next standard is, there should be a means for you to copy all your old stuff to it before the next big thing comes along.

I think DVD is safe for the time being. I could be, and probably am, wrong.

bigmac
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
You'll drop lots of frames going straight from VHS to your PC in my experience. If you have a mini-dv, you can use that as a VCR, record from VHS to DVD, then do a capture via firewire. And, like areamike said, very time consuming.

Compression-on-the-fly is the province of those $10,000 Avid machines, which are basically Macs or PCs with a few super-expensive and super-sophisticated PCI cards for the compression to digital. Those things are beautiful, and you see them on TV commercials, rock videos etc, where they're shot with BetaCam or other high end analog camera. On the extreme other end of the scale, we have Dazzle. That compression hardware just does not have the horsepower to do much more than "good enough". Far better off to convert the analog video into miniDV by running it through a digital video camera, get it into the computer that way via firewire. The results will be far easier, faster, and much much better.

Sorry, not a Dazzle fan. I made a lot of "coasters" out of $10 DVD-R's with that hardware back in the day and miniDV was like an epiphany when it finally arrived.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Transferring the VHS movies to DVD would be feesible.
Just need a Video capture card with S-Video in or one of those "Dazzle" units. You can then hook your VCR to your PC and capture the video from it and then transfer/burn it to DVD.
Mainly time consuming.
No, I was suggesting I take the DVD's I have been making now with the new software and create backups of those on VHS. Since we are discussing the current hardware will read the DVDs I make, but what will 20 years from now bring when I want to watch them........ Or will I have to keep all my old hardware and watch the videos on my current equipment in the future.

BuoyChaser
01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
finally bought Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 from Best Buy, got a $30 rebate so ended up at $70, not bad...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7454596&type=product&id=1125464967779

now on to invest in a DVD-burner, preferably external...any suggestions???

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 09:20 AM
You'll drop lots of frames going straight from VHS to your PC in my experience. If you have a mini-dv, .
I think I didn't make my point very clear. I want to be able to watch my NEWLY created DVD's in the future 20 years from now.
And VHS seems to be old realiable tech. Will it last forever, no, but it seems less complex than the DVD versions I make now and will be more compatable in the future.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 09:21 AM
finally bought Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 from Best Buy, got a $30 rebate so ended up at $70, not bad...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7454596&type=product&id=1125464967779

Read back a few posts, BigMac went into details on a "cheap" unit he likes.

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I think I didn't make my point very clear. I want to be able to watch my NEWLY created DVD's in the future 20 years from now.
And VHS seems to be old realiable tech. Will it last forever, no, but it seems less complex than the DVD versions I make now and will be more compatable in the future.

Sorry, I was responding to two posts at once. The sentence following the one you quoted read,

I think what you're asking is is there a standard that will be timeless. And the answer is probably no. I'd go ahead and copy everything to the most recent standard. Because no matter what the next standard is, there should be a means for you to copy all your old stuff to it before the next big thing comes along [after that].

bigmac
01-11-2006, 10:03 AM

Not a big fan of externals (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&Range=1&description=dvd&InnerCata=420) , I much prefer the bandwidth and reliability of an IDE drive, not to mention they're a lot cheaper. They're quite simple to install, but your computer has to have a blank mounting slot, a free cable coming off the 12 volt rail, and an open plug on the IDE cable, either master or slave if you want to mount it in addition to the drive that's already in your computer.

Actually, since these DVD drives are also CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW as well as DVD-R/DVD-ROM in all it's iterations (including dual-layer), it's well worth pulling the existing optical drive in one's computer and replacing it with the internal DVD-R for $39. It's a more functional unit that does everything your current optical drive does and far more.

Cloaked
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Not a big fan of externals (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&Range=1&description=dvd&InnerCata=420) , I much prefer the bandwidth and reliability of an IDE drive, not to mention they're a lot cheaper. They're quite simple to install, but your computer has to have a blank mounting slot, a free cable coming off the 12 volt rail, and an open plug on the IDE cable, either master or slave if you want to mount it in addition to the drive that's already in your computer.

Actually, since these DVD drives are also CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW as well as DVD-R/DVD-ROM in all it's iterations (including dual-layer), it's well worth pulling the existing optical drive in one's computer and replacing it with the internal DVD-R for $39. It's a more functional unit that does everything your current optical drive does and far more.Thanks to all for the time and info. I have been following this thread to learn. I have read until my eyes have bled... :cool:

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 10:09 AM

Actually, since these DVD drives are also CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW as well as DVD-R/DVD-ROM in all it's iterations (including dual-layer), it's well worth pulling the existing optical drive in one's computer and replacing it with the internal DVD-R for $39. It's a more functional unit that does everything your current optical drive does and far more.

And in case you're worried about installing an internal DVD burner yourself, I can attest that it's not difficult. Do a quick google for a how-to and you'll find a good walkthrough complete with pictures. Takes about 10 minutes for us first timers.

BuoyChaser
01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
And in case you're worried about installing an internal DVD burner yourself, I can attest that it's not difficult. Do a quick google for a how-to and you'll find a good walkthrough complete with pictures. Takes about 10 minutes for us first timers.

not concerned with installing internal, done it too many times...i've got a Dell laptop at home so would like to be able to use it at home but get work to fit the $$$$...we're working on a DVD Marketing piece that we'll need to burn to DVD pretty soon, so would like to be able to EASILY swap them back-n-forth...

guess i could always just through the stuff to be burned on my 2gig external usb Maxtor drive and bring that to work to burn to dvd...

what about compatibility and speed of DVD burner and type of DVDs that work best, will be running on engineer's computers...

Leroy
01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Is DVD-R the most compatible? That is what I have.

bigmac
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Is DVD-R the most compatible? That is what I have.I haven't seen a compatibility issue with DVD-R or DVD+R. I've been using DVD+R lately because I found them cheaper.

BuoyChaser
01-11-2006, 11:20 AM
As we speak, my editing computer is rendering about 40 minutes of MiniDV of some horse clinic this past weekend for my wife using Premiere Elements. It captured the the whole thing in one gulp without even a hiccup.
what type of riding style, WESTERN or ENGLISH???my wife trains western and constantly watching all the horse videos online...been trying to get her into video taping her clinics...

BuoyChaser
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I shoot crime scene video on miniDV for the Coroner's office and capture and edit it on the scene on my Dell D800 for the Sheriff's Dept to review while they're waiting for the BCA to show up, and I'll burn them a disk.
nice, how did you get a job like that???sounds wicked fun to be in front of a computer all day, playing with video...are you an employee of theirs or do you run a separate business???got me thinkin' about career changes!!!

BuoyChaser
01-11-2006, 11:36 AM
This afternoon I was able to buy the latest Pioneer 16x DVD+/-R, +/- RW AND dual layer as an OEM version from NewEgg for $39 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1167&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=5&Submit=Property) . Sheesh.
this still the DVD Burner you'd recommend???

areamike
01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
External DVD Burners

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=420

bigmac
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
this still the DVD Burner you'd recommend???
Love it. Install was simple, just plug and play. Windows XP installed the drivers. I bought the OEM version (cheaper, but not boxed - comes from NewEgg in bubble wrap). Firmware detector and updater and other documents available from Pioneer (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/service/support/article/0,,2076_4249_277047590,00.html#Documents)

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I think my burner is Pioneer. No issues and no failed burns.

DVD-R was, last I checked, the most compatible. DVD+R was second, but by an almost unnoticeable margin. DVD+/-RW were only slightly less compatible. All, if I recall (and it's been a while) were compatible with over 92% (for the RWs) and 95% for the Rs.

I've never had any of them that didn't work in my oldest DVD player (a Sony purchased in 1998).

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Is DVD-R the most compatible? That is what I have.
I think it depends on what you view them on. Some players only play one or the other. I bought a new Sony DVD player the same time I bought the VAIO so I made sure they were compatible. And the Vaio burns either, and the player plays either. -R seems to be the norm. at BB.
I buy the 100 packs of CD-R and DVD-Rs. Downside it I have to buy the jew cases seperate....

east tx skier
01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Here's a site that sets out dvd player compatibility.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

BuoyChaser
03-05-2006, 02:10 PM
on my laptop have a 40gig hard drive...also have a maxtor 300gig usb external...slowly transferring all my files to clean up my 40gig drive to have more room as a scratch disk...

any recommendations for least expensive way to have more scratch disk space...

have a Dell Inspiron 8500 (2yrs old) Pentium 4 2.00Ghz and 384MB of Ram (XP Home) with firewire port and two USB 2.0...

bigmac
03-05-2006, 04:33 PM
on my laptop have a 40gig hard drive...also have a maxtor 300gig usb external...slowly transferring all my files to clean up my 40gig drive to have more room as a scratch disk...

any recommendations for least expensive way to have more scratch disk space...

have a Dell Inspiron 8500 (2yrs old) Pentium 4 2.00Ghz and 384MB of Ram (XP Home) with firewire port and two USB 2.0...

Write to a bigger drive. Assuming you're using miniDV or Digital 8, I'd use a firewire-based external hard drive, asssuming that the firewire on your old 8500 is 400 mbps. Although the published specs of those two serial transfer protocols are about equal, write overhead for firewire is less than that of USB 2.0 so throughput tends to be faster. You only need the ability to write at a little over 3.6 megabytes per second. Theoretically, this should be within the capabilities of your 300 gig external even using USB 2.0. I'd try it - plug it in and try capturing to it, using it as your scratch disk and the computer hard drive for saving your project. If that works, buy a separate external and use that.

I have several external drives for this kind of stuff, but all are based on one Drive Dock. When standard 3.5 inch 7200 RPM drives go on sale, I buy a few (I bought a few WD 80's when they were $20 at Best Buy). By attaching the firewire-based drive dock, I have several very cheap externals that are very fast. WiebeTech also makes them that are USB 2.0 AND Firewire.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/superdd280.jpg
http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/ondrive280.jpg
http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/sockets280.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Now all they need to do is make it wireless....

BuoyChaser
08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
okay finally transferred my video using Adobe Premier Elements 2.0 and exported as MPG which had the highest resolution...

what is the best online sharing for videos, Google Video???

also i'm planning to take my external usb drive to my mother-in-laws to burn to DVD since i don't have a DVD burner for my laptop...any other software for burning to CD to make it look like DVD???like to not have to spend if any...

like putting in on my ipod too, but not essential right now...need to share with a large group of INT Competitors...

new to this whole thing, tech saavy but not with video...

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Buoy, I don't know, hope to see the solution you are looking for myself.....

BuoyChaser
08-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Buoy, I don't know, hope to see the solution you are looking for myself.....
looks like putfile will do it, especially with their customizable web page...but will have to play a little bit...looks like their competing with google video or viceversa...

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been putting together a slide show for my kid's first birthday. I've done several of these in the past, but my wife got a bit ambitious in the number of picture's she's selected. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 and my computer (2.5 Ghz processor, 750 mb ram, XP home) is really crapping out trying to load this stuff. Cutting down to 4 separate files that will be later merged has helped. I assume that this takes more memory than editing single video captures because there are hundreds of individual jpeg files with transitions. Am I correct in this assumption?

pilot02
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm new to this arena and have been transferring my old 8mm into DVD material but had to stop due to camera problems. Any cheap 8mm Analog's out there?? I think the head on mine has died. Tried cleaning it but there's no/limited color.

Also as an FYI, I found that my computer P4 2.0g with 1gig memory dropped frames if I had Norton Internet Security running in the background. Disconnected it does fine.

BuoyChaser
08-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm new to this arena and have been transferring my old 8mm into DVD material but had to stop due to camera problems. Any cheap 8mm Analog's out there?? I think the head on mine has died. Tried cleaning it but there's no/limited color.

Also as an FYI, I found that my computer P4 2.0g with 1gig memory dropped frames if I had Norton Internet Security running in the background. Disconnected it does fine.
go digital, some inexpensive used or new these days...

3event
08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
EastTX, I also found Pinnacle to be less than ideal for photo slideshows. And I can't tell for sure if I am losing image quality. So I now do video on Pinnacle and temporarily, photo slideshows on our Mac.

Photoshow Pro Gold was strongly recommended to me by my father-in-law, he has made some pretty nice DVDs with it. Mainly an advanced photo slideshow production suite, but you can also plug video files into it. I may get around to exploring that package further but you can check it out and download a free trial version at
http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/

BuoyChaser
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
EastTX, I also found Pinnacle to be less than ideal for photo slideshows. And I can't tell for sure if I am losing image quality. So I now do video on Pinnacle and temporarily, photo slideshows on our Mac.

Photoshow Pro Gold was strongly recommended to me by my father-in-law, he has made some pretty nice DVDs with it. Mainly an advanced photo slideshow production suite, but you can also plug video files into it. I may get around to exploring that package further but you can check it out and download a free trial version at
i finally installed Adobe Premier Elements 2.0 last night and seem to be only able to burn DVDs but without a DVD burner this is a problem!!!certainly can export in a ton of different formats but then have to use another program to make a video CD...

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks,

I never really had a lot of trouble with it before now. Just eats up the memory. Lots of files (like 350 pictures).

No, we don't expect anyone to watch it. Just something to have on in the background during his party. Digital photography has gotten the better of us. Clickity click click click, and never delete.

3event
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
yep. what to do with all those digital snapshots??? maybe this winter I will conquer it after the boat is put away. we have thousands.

I have done very little with multimedia DVDs but I have produced (2) covering 2yrs worth of skiing and time at the lake. PRIORITIES !! That's some cool stuff !

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
It's not complicated, but it is time consuming. Our family has always enjoyed having it as we don't look at them otherwise. Ordinarily, they're much shorter and put onto DVDs with our home movies.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
It's not complicated, but it is time consuming. Our family has always enjoyed having it as we don't look at them otherwise. Ordinarily, they're much shorter and put onto DVDs with our home movies.
got any samples of the quality???really liked the google video and the ability to download to ipod format or any other format which is cool!!!

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I've got a policy about not posting people's pictures on the net without their permission. So I can't really share.

I did finally get one segment done today. DVD quality mpeg2 is 740x480. So it's going to be compressed over what the original image is most likely. Bottom line is that it looks good enough for the family on the big screen.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Well, I've got a policy about not posting people's pictures on the net without their permission. So I can't really share.
ahhh that's a good point, but if you've got something just random would be cool...trying to figure out the best format for Google Video, but tough to keep that private...has to be public for all to see...nice thing for pictures is shutterfly.com because you can password protect folders...

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I've ripped to Nero Video (mpeg 4) for google. It's worked okay, but I wish I'd gone higher quality.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I've ripped to Nero Video (mpeg 4) for google. It's worked okay, but I wish I'd gone higher quality.
i uploaded a 5minute 150mb avi file to compare the difference to MPEG 4 on google video...

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Isn't .avi just a generic windows video designation. Is it uncompressed?

You can achieve really good quality with mpeg4. I went with a smaller file size just to play with google video a while back. As long as you select original file size in the window, it looks fine. If you let it fill the pane, it looks blury.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Isn't .avi just a generic windows video designation. Is it uncompressed?

You can achieve really good quality with mpeg4. I went with a smaller file size just to play with google video a while back. As long as you select original file size in the window, it looks fine. If you let it fill the pane, it looks blury.
not sure about avi i'll have to look that one up...but this is one i put on google video as an mpeg4 and thought it was very blurry through google was smooth and only 25mb when downloaded as an ipod file http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5996144640922780070&hl=en

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Looks good in the "original size" view. The best part is the commentary! ;)

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Looks good in the "original size" view. The best part is the commentary! ;)
yahh, we had the safety boat packed full to watch...bunch of teenagers in the boat if you couldn't tell...that is me being corrected by one of them when i said 22' off for chris rossi starting out, but it was actually 32' off...

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I liked the "no way" each time someone rounded the turn buoy after the rope was shortened another length.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I liked the "no way" each time someone rounded the turn buoy after the rope was shortened another length.
or the "...that's rediculous..."kids are so funny!!!

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Write to a bigger drive. Assuming you're using miniDV or Digital 8, I'd use a firewire-based external hard drive, asssuming that the firewire on your old 8500 is 400 mbps. Although the published specs of those two serial transfer protocols are about equal, write overhead for firewire is less than that of USB 2.0 so throughput tends to be faster. You only need the ability to write at a little over 3.6 megabytes per second. Theoretically, this should be within the capabilities of your 300 gig external even using USB 2.0. I'd try it - plug it in and try capturing to it, using it as your scratch disk and the computer hard drive for saving your project. If that works, buy a separate external and use that.

I have several external drives for this kind of stuff, but all are based on one Drive Dock. When standard 3.5 inch 7200 RPM drives go on sale, I buy a few (I bought a few WD 80's when they were $20 at Best Buy). By attaching the firewire-based drive dock, I have several very cheap externals that are very fast. WiebeTech also makes them that are USB 2.0 AND Firewire.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/superdd280.jpg
http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/ondrive280.jpg
http://www.dansdata.com/images/wiebetech/sockets280.jpg

is this the same device for IDE to USB 2.0 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472797&sku=C250-2288

what's a good price on a 7200RPM hard drive these days...we don't have sales tax so would love to save shipping and buy from best buy...

i'm finding with my hard drive & USB 2.0 drive that it says "frames dropped" when using Premier...thinking about trying Quicktime Pro would be easier for my application of simple to capture and edit the capture...

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Quicktime Pro is only $30 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=D3381Z/A

bigmac
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
is this the same device for IDE to USB 2.0 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472797&sku=C250-2288

what's a good price on a 7200RPM hard drive these days...we don't have sales tax so would love to save shipping and buy from best buy...

i'm finding with my hard drive & USB 2.0 drive that it says "frames dropped" when using Premier...thinking about trying Quicktime Pro would be easier for my application of simple to capture and edit the capture...

Looks to be exactly the same. Nice that it comes with a 2.5 inch adapter to so you can use it with notebook drives.

I'd look at Best Buy, but I'd do so only after I'd looked at prices of OEM drives from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=14). The OEM drives come without packaging or software, wrapped in bubble wrap or something. Obviously, you won't want SATA drives, just look at the IDE's.

bigmac
08-14-2006, 11:18 AM

Dropped frames are usually (almost always) a sign of inadequate throughput, which means your drive isn't writing fast enough, or USB 2.0 just isn't cutting it. It's rarely related to modern video editing software these days.

IIRC, Quicktime Pro 7 for Windows won't capture video, only audio.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Dropped frames are usually (almost always) a sign of inadequate throughput, which means your drive isn't writing fast enough, or USB 2.0 just isn't cutting it. It's rarely related to modern video editing software these days.

IIRC, Quicktime Pro 7 for Windows won't capture video, only audio.
great tip on Quicktime Pro for WIN, that would have made me mad!!!as for Premier, any suggestions on how to quickly get some tips figured out???any forums like this one???

yahhh the dropped frames make it wicked choppy when playing back...anyway to check what my transfer rates are???like Belarc really wouldn't do that...

bigmac
08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
great tip on Quicktime Pro for WIN, that would have made me mad!!!as for Premier, any suggestions on how to quickly get some tips figured out???any forums like this one???

yahhh the dropped frames make it wicked choppy when playing back...anyway to check what my transfer rates are???like Belarc really wouldn't do that...

IIRC, the transfer rate come up in a window on Premiere. I''ll have to check, ICBW.

One problem with your dropped frames may very well lie in the USB-IDE conversion, assuming your computer has sufficient CPU power and at least a gig of RAM. Try capturing some video to your machine's native hard internal hard drive - see if that drops frames.

I'm not aware on any video forums, with the exception of rec.video, rec.video.desktop, and rec.video.professional on the wild, wooley world of Usenet.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
IIRC, the transfer rate come up in a window on Premiere. I''ll have to check, ICBW.

One problem with your dropped frames may very well lie in the USB-IDE conversion, assuming your computer has sufficient CPU power and at least a gig of RAM. Try capturing some video to your machine's native hard internal hard drive - see if that drops frames.

I'm not aware on any video forums, with the exception of rec.video, rec.video.desktop, and rec.video.professional on the wild, wooley world of Usenet.
same drop rate on the "internal" hard drive plus very little space left...i don't have a gig of ram, so that's probably part of my problem...should swing by Best Buy and pick some up...

bigmac
08-14-2006, 01:33 PM
same drop rate on the "internal" hard drive plus very little space left...i don't have a gig of ram, so that's probably part of my problem...should swing by Best Buy and pick some up...Boy, dropped frames are usually a thing out of the past these days. What vintage is your computer? What processor? and do get more RAM. Video editing tends to be very processor and RAM intensive.

We're taking capture of digital video, right? MiniDV or Digital 8?

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Boy, dropped frames are usually a thing out of the past these days. What vintage is your computer? What processor? and do get more RAM. Video editing tends to be very processor and RAM intensive.

We're taking capture of digital video, right? MiniDV or Digital 8?
digital 8 on my 1394 port from Sony...computer might be 3yrs now, Dell 8500...

work still hasn't gotten me my own box yet, been holding out for one!!!

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
service tag 40X8N21

bigmac
08-14-2006, 01:56 PM
digital 8 on my 1394 port from Sony...computer might be 3yrs now, Dell 8500...

work still hasn't gotten me my own box yet, been holding out for one!!!

That should be fast enough. I used edit crime scene video in the field on a C800 (Latitude version, one model prior to your Inspiron), burn a CD to send with the body to the forensic pathologist. Never a glitch.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
That should be fast enough. I used edit crime scene video in the field on a C800 (Latitude version, one model prior to your Inspiron), burn a CD to send with the body to the forensic pathologist. Never a glitch.
tried dumping a lot of files from startup which helped load premier faster...just not sure worth making the ram upgrade, would 2gig make a difference???or would my stock video card then be the problem???

bigmac
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
tried dumping a lot of files from startup which helped load premier faster...just not sure worth making the ram upgrade, would 2gig make a difference???or would my stock video card then be the problem???I believe that the processor, IDE bus, mainboard chipset and RAM quantity and timing are all far more important than the video card in video editing. Doing just the RAM may not pull it off for you.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe that the processor, IDE bus, mainboard chipset and RAM quantity and timing are all far more important than the video card in video editing. Doing just the RAM may not pull it off for you.
so it wouldn't be worth upgrading to 2gig of RAM for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=PRICE&Page=1&Nty=1&N=2000170381+1052907864+1309121113&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=381

bigmac
08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
so it wouldn't be worth upgrading to 2gig of RAM for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=PRICE&Page=1&Nty=1&N=2000170381+1052907864+1309121113&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=381
Boy, I just don't know. I guess I wouldn't if there were a new laptop in my forseeable future. Jeez, you can buy laptops that will outperform your 3 year old 8500 for $600-$700.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Boy, I just don't know. I guess I wouldn't if there were a new laptop in my forseeable future. Jeez, you can buy laptops that will outperform your 3 year old 8500 for $600-$700.
very tempting!!!that old one is a beast...what brands seem to be decent for durability...honestly don't see work getting me a laptop, but probably would want to keep separate anyways...

maybe i should go for a tower, better bang for the buck plus easier to throw in hard drives!!!any good places to check on decent tower units, or better assembling my own system from newegg???

bigmac
08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
very tempting!!!that old one is a beast...what brands seem to be decent for durability...honestly don't see work getting me a laptop, but probably would want to keep separate anyways...

maybe i should go for a tower, better bang for the buck plus easier to throw in hard drives!!!any good places to check on decent tower units, or better assembling my own system from newegg???I've built 8 or 9 towers with parts almost entirely from NewEgg, but I did that because I wanted really high-end for gaming, buying stuff that was so state-of-the-art that it wasn't available in off-the-shelf computers at the time. I haven't built anything for a year, so I'm not entirely up on the hot motherboards or current processors. I always bought processors at the price break, because the difference between last week's hot processor and the latest model released than morning was usually hundreds of $$.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
I've built 8 or 9 towers with parts almost entirely from NewEgg, but I did that because I wanted really high-end for gaming, buying stuff that was so state-of-the-art that it wasn't available in off-the-shelf computers at the time. I haven't built anything for a year, so I'm not entirely up on the hot motherboards or current processors. I always bought processors at the price break, because the difference between last week's hot processor and the latest model released than morning was usually hundreds of $$.
in your opinion for video editing, what would you choose for your machine of choice???

bigmac
08-14-2006, 03:49 PM
in your opinion for video editing, what would you choose for your machine of choice???

If you're talking buying off the shelf - I'd get a Mac - no question. If your talking building your own in the $1000 range (excluding monitor) then I'd get the second-fastest Athlon 64 processor, a $150 -$200 ASUS motherboard that had onboard firewire, USB 2.0, ethernet, RAID, sound, and supports at least 4 gigs of DDR RAM. Three big SATA hard drives, an Antec quiet case and a 500 watt minimum Antec power supply. Add in a CD-R and DVD burner and the biggest flat panel monitor I could affort.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
If you're talking buying off the shelf - I'd get a Mac - no question. If your talking building your own in the $1000 range (excluding monitor) then I'd get the second-fastest Athlon 64 processor, a $150 -$200 ASUS motherboard that had onboard firewire, USB 2.0, ethernet, RAID, sound, and supports at least 4 gigs of DDR RAM. Three big SATA hard drives, an Antec quiet case and a 500 watt minimum Antec power supply. Add in a CD-R and DVD burner and the biggest flat panel monitor I could affort.
loved to get into a mac, but wouldn't sync with work software/hardware because they're deadset against me having a MAC in a PC world!!!hmmm, what's the best source for these processors: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
Bring the next generation of digital media and games to life with the world's ultimate processor for PC enthusiasts.
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Increase your performance by up to 80%, and work or play with multiple programs without any stalling or waiting.
AMD Athlon™ 64
Get leading-edge performance and unparalleled technology with simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing.
AMD Sempron™
Redefine everyday computing with built-in security and solid performance.

bigmac
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
loved to get into a mac, but wouldn't sync with work software/hardware because they're deadset against me having a MAC in a PC world!!!hmmm, what's the best source for these processors: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
Bring the next generation of digital media and games to life with the world's ultimate processor for PC enthusiasts.
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Increase your performance by up to 80%, and work or play with multiple programs without any stalling or waiting.
AMD Athlon™ 64
Get leading-edge performance and unparalleled technology with simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing.
AMD Sempron™
Redefine everyday computing with built-in security and solid performance.

Don't forget you can boot Windows from all the MacBooks and Mac Pro computers (all Macs are Intel-based now). Reportedly they run Windows as well as any PC.

Love the Athlon 64 processors. Great performance, reliable.

I buy most of my stuff from NewEgg. They are pretty price-competitive, but utterly reliable and ship quickly. Also, note that if you build a machine, you'll still need an operating system. If you buy a motherboard from NewEgg, you can buy an OEM version of Windows XP from them too. Windows XP Professional is $300 at Best Buy, is $145 in OEM version from NewEgg.

BuoyChaser
08-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't forget you can boot Windows from all the MacBooks and Mac Pro computers (all Macs are Intel-based now). Reportedly they run Windows as well as any PC.

Love the Athlon 64 processors. Great performance, reliable.

I buy most of my stuff from NewEgg. They are pretty price-competitive, but utterly reliable and ship quickly. Also, note that if you build a machine, you'll still need an operating system. If you buy a motherboard from NewEgg, you can buy an OEM version of Windows XP from them too. Windows XP Professional is $300 at Best Buy, is $145 in OEM version from NewEgg.
got my parents into one of new macbooks and installed parallels viritulization software which ran great...much better than bootcamp...still having struggle with getting mac software, would have to get on my own whereas work pays for the pc software!!! ;)

BuoyChaser
08-25-2006, 08:07 AM
i'm giving up on Premiere LE, whenever i capture video as different scenes it won't let me export each scene separately...wants to do the whole thing which is rediculous...

checking into Microsoft Movie Maker this weekend, seems much more straight forward http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/default.mspx

any other good ones out there???

BuoyChaser
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
staples has some good deals on hard drives right now, especially Western Digital http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=12037&catalogId=10051&firstlevelCategoryId=10912&secondlevelCatName=Drives+%26+Media&prodCatType=1&langId=-1&pCategoryId=10056&secondlevelCategoryId=10056&storeId=10001&firstlevelCatName=Technology

$115 for 250gig

3event
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
and you can find an external 250g that will plug in as a network drive for $139. just in time for fall editing of those skiing videos...

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200112&product_code=336992&Pn=StorCenter_Network_250GB_High_Speed_Ethernet_Ha rd_Drive

BuoyChaser
12-15-2006, 11:31 PM
any good deals on intel core 2 duo desktops???looking in the $500 range, best i found without building my own was the Dell E520 for $800 with 19" flat panel

Processor/Display
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_dimene520?c=us&cs=2244&l=en&s=eep

rem_pss308
12-16-2006, 02:58 AM
I have transfered some videos to my computer, and made WMA files.

Can anyone tell me what I can use to transfer these to DVD.

I have nero, but it doesnt read them. Or maybe I am doing it wrong.

Please Help.

east tx skier
12-16-2006, 06:54 AM
instead of WMA, can you reconvert them to avi or mpeg? My wife's snapshot camera was shooting video in PAL format somehow (or otherwise, some bizarre .avi that nothing recognizes. I'm having to use nero to export the files to mpeg so that my video editor (or anything else) will recognize them.

bigmac
12-16-2006, 09:16 AM
I have transfered some videos to my computer, and made WMA files.

Can anyone tell me what I can use to transfer these to DVD.

I have nero, but it doesnt read them. Or maybe I am doing it wrong.

Please Help.WMA (Windows Media Audio) is an audio format designed to compete with MP3 and Apple's AAC. IIUC, it doesn't support video, so I'm confused. Do you mean you converted your videos to audio files and want to put your audio files onto a DVD to play the audio back through your DVD player into an entertainment system? That's feasible, since most newer DVD players will play WMA files, whether you put them in on an audio CD you burn, or a DVD you burn. Nero, at least the later versions, should be capable of burning a DVD with your WMA files on it. If it won't play, it may be that your version of Nero is too old, or that the DVD player you're using doesn't support WMA. There is a ton of cheap or shareware WMA converting sofware out there, so you could convert your audio files to MP3

It would help to know know the format of the original videos, what you imported them from.

BuoyChaser
12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Quicktime 7, now for the PC to capture/edit video http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=D3381Z/A

JohnnyB
12-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Help....used Pinacle Studio to compile a bunch of snowmobile trip video segments and digital pics...added menus, background music, text, etc and burned a DVD that won't play in my DVD player.

The error on the DVD players is "Playback Prohibited by Area Limitation".

I've done several DVDs with Pinnacle without issue....what did I do wrong this time???

milkmania
12-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Help....used Pinacle Studio to compile a bunch of snowmobile trip video segments and digital pics...added menus, background music, text, etc and burned a DVD that won't play in my DVD player.

The error on the DVD players is "Playback Prohibited by Area Limitation".

I've done several DVDs with Pinnacle without issue....what did I do wrong this time???

do do know if you recorded in PAL(european) or NTSC (American)?...... definition---> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PAL.html

google is your friend;)
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/253077

JohnnyB
12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Milk....

You may be on to something.....it appears that the digital camera that captured did it at 25 fps (PAL) format. I reset the burn and checked a box for adhere to strict dvd format....we'll see.

If this doesn't work I'll be searching for something to convert.

Thanks.

milkmania
12-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Milk....

You may be on to something.....it appears that the digital camera that captured did it at 25 fps (PAL) format. I reset the burn and checked a box for adhere to strict dvd format....we'll see.

If this doesn't work I'll be searching for something to convert.

Thanks.

did a little searching, and found this http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20041219_how_do_i_convert_a_pal_dvd_to_ntsc.html

there was a link in there that went to here http://www.jakeludington.com/dvd_hacks/20061125_convert_pal_dvd_for_pc_playback.html

mainly this paragraph
Sam asks, "How do I convert a PAL DVD made in Europe to NTSC?"
I've experimented with a handful of ways to convert PAL format video to NTSC, with none of them yielding perfect results. If you have a friend in Europe who sends you a DVD created in the PAL format, you might have problems playing it back if you don't either have a DVD player with PAL support or a computer that knows how to playback PAL format content. One way around this is to convert the PAL DVD to either a digital file on your PC or converting the file to an NTSC compatible DVD.

there's more good ideas in there, so I don't think your hard work is toast as of yet.

if worse comes to worse, you could always ship it to sizzler on the other side of the pond and let him critique it:uglyhamme

BuoyChaser
01-02-2007, 12:40 PM

so 60min per 1-2Gb is still the norm for standard TV resolution, not HD???

vogelm1
08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
If anyone is currently using Pinnacle, I'd like to know if you can troubleshoot something that goes on occasionally...when I go to "Make Movie" and burn directly to DVD the video will burn OK, but there will be no sound track. If I start completely over and re-do the video, then most of the time I can get the music to work with the video/movie. I've tried re-cutting and pasting the sound track in and out, double-checking that the mute was off, etc. Everything plays fine while in edit mode...just lose sound after burning to the DVD. Thoughts??

Ric
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
anybody using Vault360 software?

I'm trying to get these damn sony mini disc videos burned onto a regular dvd and I've got the videos saved to thevault on my screen and cannot for the life of me figure out how or where to click to get them burned to a blank dvd...... duhhhhhhhh

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
If for whatever reason, they're not already, you need to convert them to mpeg2. I have zero familiarity with that software though. Sorry. Getting used to Premiere Effets coming from Pinnacle. Some things I really like. Some things I think they're just trying to make it annoying. The export to mpeg feature is easy and very fast though.

Ric
11-01-2007, 11:35 AM
If for whatever reason, they're not already, you need to convert them to mpeg2. I have zero familiarity with that software though. Sorry. Getting used to Premiere Effets coming from Pinnacle. Some things I really like. Some things I think they're just trying to make it annoying. The export to mpeg feature is easy and very fast though. Thanks if I convert them to mpeg2, will they be able to be played on most set top dvd players or no?

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I tend to use Nero to creat the disc and a separate editor. So I convert to mpeg2, then burn that to dvd in nero. It may be an unnecessary step though depending on the software.

If the software recognizes whatever file type is on those sony discs, then you might just be able to click creat dvd and go. That's why I assumed that it wasn't recognizing the file type. But if that's the case, converting them to mpeg2 might be just as problematic.

Hard to say without knowing the original file type.

Ric
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
well it maybe part of the problem. the sony files are vob and sonic nor nero would copy them to a dvd, so I bought this vault360 software because it said it would do vob files....... it copied a dvd ok, but when I add the videos to the"vault", I see no options for burning nor creating a dvd in any way weird.....

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
If anyone is currently using Pinnacle, I'd like to know if you can troubleshoot something that goes on occasionally...when I go to "Make Movie" and burn directly to DVD the video will burn OK, but there will be no sound track. If I start completely over and re-do the video, then most of the time I can get the music to work with the video/movie. I've tried re-cutting and pasting the sound track in and out, double-checking that the mute was off, etc. Everything plays fine while in edit mode...just lose sound after burning to the DVD. Thoughts??
All kidding aside. I had the same problems a few times when I ran Pinnacle. Then I went to Premier Elements and the problem mysteriously went away. I never did check into it, sorry. I wasted ALOT of discs on Pinnacle.:(

Workin' 4 Toys
11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
well it maybe part of the problem. the sony files are vob and sonic nor nero would copy them to a dvd, so I bought this vault360 software because it said it would do vob files....... it copied a dvd ok, but when I add the videos to the"vault", I see no options for burning nor creating a dvd in any way weird.....
This doesn't help, but it should be ALOT easier than that!!!

So I get understand, you have a DVD video camera, and you are trying to burn them to a regular DVD?

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM

From Wikipedia ...

In order to burn the VOB files to a DVD±R disc, other standard DVD-Video files are needed as well, including IFO and BUP files. The burning is easily done using software like K3b, Nero or Roxio Toast.

Ric, that software you bought had uninimous 1 out of 5 star reviews on Amazon. Consensus is that it totally stinks. Is it possible to return it and buy nero?

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 12:14 PM
All kidding aside. I had the same problems a few times when I ran Pinnacle. Then I went to Premier Elements and the problem mysteriously went away. I never did check into it, sorry. I wasted ALOT of discs on Pinnacle.:(

I used to lose the soundtrack in Pinnacle in the editor. It would usually only happen with one clip and meant I'd need to reopen the editor. I didn't use it to burn discs because I didn't like its menu creation tools, so I never ultimately had that problem.

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
This doesn't help, but it should be ALOT easier than that!!!

So I get understand, you have a DVD video camera, and you are trying to burn them to a regular DVD?

His camera has those little discs. I'm thinking he wants to reuse them, so he wants to rip them to regular dvds.

Ric
11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
yes, I want to copy the little disks to the big dvds so that anybody can watch them and so that I can give copies to whomever.

I always heard that you should not reuse the disks even if you could so that was not my original intent....

East, I realized from your post that I was expecting the vault software to burn.... it's cute and cool and all that but nowhere does it say that it's used for burning... I told sonic to add files and took it to the vault location and boom, we are in biz........ waiting for sonic to finish burning the dvd now to see if its gonna work!

maybe just maybe I can tell sonic to add files and point it to my mini disks and then burn to a blank and not even use the goofy 360vault,,,,,,,

Ric
11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Ric, that software you bought had uninimous 1 out of 5 star reviews on Amazon. Consensus is that it totally stinks. Is it possible to return it and buy nero?

OUCH! Im gonna sure as hell try!

Ric
11-01-2007, 01:03 PM
hey I wonder what it means when it says "transcoding video" on the screen for a half an hour! ?

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 02:39 PM
That probably means it's adding the necessary files to the vob files. My new computer burns dvds pretty fast, but my old machine took a while.

Ric
11-01-2007, 03:23 PM
well I thought I had a pretty kick butt laptop, but maybe not so much!

telling it to import the files from the mini disk now directly into sonic burning software.... we'll see how it goes....

when I was done with the first dvd, it was just under four gigs of data... I took it to an xp workstation and played it in windows media player or something but the only sound that came from this new dvd was the main menu sound created by sonic..... no sound on my videos..

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
If they have a "recode" option in Sonic, try that route. In Nero, it allows you to import a disc and play around with it or just reburn it. Useful when it's a disc, for whatever reason you felt compelled to rip to your hard drive. :rolleyes:

Ric
11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
update: I've had this thing going in the next room pretty much all day.......

looks like the vault software is helping me to fit more files on a dvd.... while so far, I cannot figure why the sound didnt come up on the first file burned from the vault files - I have had hell getting all the same files pared down to a size that will fit a dvd when using only sonic burning software..

I am a plainol rookie at this, but the extra step of the 360vault software looks to be keeping the gigabyte size down on the files prior to burning.....

east tx skier
11-01-2007, 05:11 PM
It's also lessening the quality to do that. If you've got anything on there that says "fit to size," uncheck the box. DVDs are cheap. Use lots of them.

Ric
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
thats good info.....

bigmac
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Since I switched back to OSX as my computing platform of choice, I've been using Apple's Final Cut Express for video editing. Well, I've decided to pack it in. FCE does run rings around Premiere Elements for speed, but I find the editing, titling, and transitions to be cumbersome. I just upgraded to Premiere Elements 4 and will be running that on my Mac instead.

east tx skier
11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
There's a Premier Elements 4.0? I just got 3. Or is 4.0 for Mac?

BigMac, how do you do a simple dissolve transition on PE? The only thing I've found is cross fade. In cross fade, I set it up so that the next clip starts playing at the beginning of the fade, but I still get a paused first clip just as it fades out. I preferred the dissolve in Pinnacle much more.

bigmac
11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
There's a Premier Elements 4.0? I just got 3. Or is 4.0 for Mac?

BigMac, how do you do a simple dissolve transition on PE? The only thing I've found is cross fade. In cross fade, I set it up so that the next clip starts playing at the beginning of the fade, but I still get a paused first clip just as it fades out. I preferred the dissolve in Pinnacle much more.

They don't make Premiere Elements (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/)for the Mac, I run it in Windows XP on the Mac. I just recently upgraded (https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PremiereElements&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0#loc=en_us&rangeUpper=6%2C0%2C65%2C0&HTMLVerRedirect=true&returnURL=%2Fcfusion%2Fstore%2Fhtml%2Findex%2Ecfm% 3Fstore%3DOLS%2DUS%26event%3DdisplayProduct%26cate goryPath%3D%2FApplications%2FPremiereElements%26di stributionMethod%3DUPGRADE&store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PremiereElements&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0&viewName=Adobe%20Store%20%2D%20North%20America&pageNotFound=0)directly from Adobe for $79. I saw it at Best Buy too - full version only - for $99, as I was picking up my copy of Call of Duty 4. The upgrade only requires that you have the serial number of your previous version handy (any version) unless the install finds a previous install on your computer.

With many of those transitions, you need to make sure you have some room at the end of one clip as well as the beginning of the following clip. Most dissolves are 1 second, so you need at least 0.5 seconds on either side of the cut. You just need to be aware of that when you set the in and out points on the edited clip - make sure you give yourself at least an extra 15 frames on either side.

Ric
11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm dumber for having delved into this video stuff... OK, I finally got two mini discs worth of videos and about 50 pics burned to a dvd... the dvd will play in some people's laptops and not others.... it will play on my winxp machine with no sound but will play on another guys win2000 laptop with sound.. I think I am gonna go nuts!

One thing I have not confirmed is how well the copied dvd plays on set top dvd players... :shocked:

uawaterskier
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
slow your burn speed down and what media did you use?

east tx skier
11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
They don't make Premiere Elements (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/)for the Mac, I run it in Windows XP on the Mac. I just recently upgraded (https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PremiereElements&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0#loc=en_us&rangeUpper=6%2C0%2C65%2C0&HTMLVerRedirect=true&returnURL=%2Fcfusion%2Fstore%2Fhtml%2Findex%2Ecfm% 3Fstore%3DOLS%2DUS%26event%3DdisplayProduct%26cate goryPath%3D%2FApplications%2FPremiereElements%26di stributionMethod%3DUPGRADE&store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PremiereElements&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0&viewName=Adobe%20Store%20%2D%20North%20America&pageNotFound=0)directly from Adobe for $79. I saw it at Best Buy too - full version only - for $99, as I was picking up my copy of Call of Duty 4. The upgrade only requires that you have the serial number of your previous version handy (any version) unless the install finds a previous install on your computer.

With many of those transitions, you need to make sure you have some room at the end of one clip as well as the beginning of the following clip. Most dissolves are 1 second, so you need at least 0.5 seconds on either side of the cut. You just need to be aware of that when you set the in and out points on the edited clip - make sure you give yourself at least an extra 15 frames on either side.

That would probably make more sense to me if I was sitting in front of my computer looking at P.E. But it sounds as if you're saying I can set my transition to begin at a point in the first clip that is greater than the length of 1/2 the transition lengh, i.e. 15 frames for a 1 sec transition would be .05 seconds ideally, and thus be 50/50, which is why I'm seeing the first clip end before it finishes cross fading. Is this control in the panel on the upper right portion of the screen?

/Writing that, I think I know what you're saying.

bigmac
11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
That would probably make more sense to me if I was sitting in front of my computer looking at P.E. But it sounds as if you're saying I can set my transition to begin at a point in the first clip that is greater than the length of 1/2 the transition lengh, i.e. 15 frames for a 1 sec transition would be .05 seconds ideally, and thus be 50/50, which is why I'm seeing the first clip end before it finishes cross fading. Is this control in the panel on the upper right portion of the screen?

/Writing that, I think I know what you're saying.

You might need to go back to the problematic clips and change their in/out points to make sure you have enough room - you'd only have to add frames to the end of one clip or beginning of the subsequent clip, maybe both, if the cross-dissolve isn't encompassing both clips. Sometimes, you won't have room to do that if the exact point where you're starting the following clip is at the exact point where you hit "record" on the camera, or if your first clip ends at the exact point where you stopped recording. Videographers will usually make sure that there's some filler at the beginning and end of each clip when they shoot a particular clip just for that reason - to give them editing room for transitions. Sometimes you can get around that by shortening the transition time to less than the default of one second. IOW, you might only have 8 frames to work with on one clip, for example, and you can get around that by making the whole thing a 16 frame transition. OR, one other thing you can do is change the slider on the transition center point to make the cross-dissolve 22 frames on the front end and 8 frames on the subsequent clip (or vice-versa).

I hope you understand that. As I re-read it, I just confused myself.

east tx skier
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I'm in transition mode having spent 5 years using Pinnacle. I like the layout of P.E., but you get used to certain things and I was fond of the lack of options within any of the transitions. I'll get used to it, but this is something that has not been so obvious as the rest of it has.

BuoyChaser
11-26-2007, 06:47 PM
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

i'm liking what Pinnacle has to offer, i really struggled with Adobe Premier Elements, especially running in Vista...just had a tough time finding out how to splice clips and so segmented copies...for example, grab a whole capture, then pic and choose different pieces from it for the final cut...