PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Guage on 1996 PS 190

Sodar
12-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Has anyone had any problems with their fuel guages/sending units? Last summer, my sending unit went out, I called up isspro and ordered a new one... problem solved. Last week, I took my boat out, ran a full tank through it, but my guage is stuck at 1/2 tank. I tested the guage and that tested good. I would like to think that the sender is not bad after just 6 months of use. The only thing I can think of is that the float in the sending unit tube is stuck at 1/2 tank. Has anyone ever experienced this? I was thinking maybe the tube got gunked up, but I always use 92 octane and add Sta-Bil if the boat is going to sit for more than a week. Does anyone have any suggestions?

WTRSK1R
12-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to my 1992 205. In my case, it was several years ago, shortly after my area was forced to start using reformulated gas to improve air quality. It seems that the increased alcohol in the gas caused the float to swell slightly. Fortunately, I was able to pull the float out of the tube it moves up and down in, and sand it down slighlty. That made it work freely again, and it has been ok ever since. Not sure if the sending unit is the same on the 1996 version.

Good Luck.

Sodar
12-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks WTRSKIR. I figured it would be something like that. Is it easy to pull the sender apart to get to the float? It sounds like my sender is the same as your 92. I was almost hoping it was a bad ground or something though! If I remember correctly, I have to pull the tank out, which is a pain in the a$$.

jeverett
01-02-2006, 01:55 AM
I think that I have the same problem with my '93 PS 190 Some times the guage reads 1/2 when it is actually full and sometimes the guage just doesn't work at all. Where can I get a new sending unit that will work in those tanks?

Thanks

Sodar
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
I think that I have the same problem with my '93 PS 190 Some times the guage reads 1/2 when it is actually full and sometimes the guage just doesn't work at all. Where can I get a new sending unit that will work in those tanks?

Thanks

jeverett, I ordered my unit directly from Isspro.com. The part number is RA 9512-ISS. It is the 12" UFS sender. The phone number is 503-288-4488, I spoke with Scott.

The easiest way to see if your sending unit is bad is to disconnect the red and the black wires from the top of the unit. Once you have done this, turn your ignition on, the guage should read empty. Next, touch the two wires together... now the fuel guage should be pegged at full. If these tests check out, then your guage is fine. If your unit works intermittently, I would replace the sending unit.

flipper
01-02-2006, 02:40 AM
I didn't think of the new fuel thing, but I sanded mine down also and worked fine also. Just make sure that you clean up well after before you put everything backtogether.

jeverett
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
(503) sweet that is an Oregon area code they must be in my back yard! :banana: