PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener

Tom023
12-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Today my garage door opener would not lift the door on its own. It would lift the door only if I gave it a little assistance as it first starts. If disengaged from the track, it would cycle all the way up and down with no problems. Seems like the motor has lost its ability to pull. I always thought motors either worked or didn't, that they didn't degrade gradually. Anybody know if this is what has probably happened?

Lottawatta
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Check the garage door springs. Sounds like one broke, or came loose.

ski_king
12-08-2005, 12:12 PM
I agree on checking the spring.
Watch out working with them, they can be deadly.

Tom023
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I have one of those round coil springs on a rod at the top of the door. I had it replaced a few years ago after it broke. Definitely a job for the experts. The spring seems fine, and the door lifts very easily in manual mode, but I'll give it a closer inspection this evening.

jmac197
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Is there a setting for upward pressure just like downward pressure. On my opener, a craftsman, there are adjustments that allow you to set the amount of pressure the opener will exert while closing before it senses that it has closed on something and reverses. I believe it has the same for going up.

Imagine if you tied your dog's leash to the outside door handle and someone opened the door from the inside.....

east tx skier
12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Mine did this sporadically last week. Try spraying the tracks and wheels with WD-40. Worked like a charm in my case. Apparently, one of my wheels was binding causing the emergency stop to engage.

Leroy
12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm with Doug, once a year I spray down the wheels, hinges, and chain.

In the cold, things shrink, ;) could be binding now when it would not in the summer.

Tom023
12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I have neglected it for 6 years, time to get the WD40 out. JMAC197, I think you are on to something as well. Gotta love the Internet, I found the owners manual online and it had a section on upward force adjustment and how changes in the weather can cause the door not to work properly. Since we hit the dead of winter last night and it got down to 30 or so, I think the lack of proper lubrication and the UP force adjustment are the issues. Thanks guys, saved me $150 for a new unit.

Cloaked
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I have neglected it for 6 years, ..... :confused: :confused:

:headbang:

Ric
12-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Funny I've had two doors do this same thing to me this month???????????
Could be the cold weather or a weather change in general causing the home to move or the parts to move causing a bind?

Ric
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
someone posted on here, the coolest opener I've ever seen> I dont have the link but the motor and spring shaft are all at the door header, no long pull track or clutter of your ceiling or opener fragments sprinkling down on your boat! (If you are going to get a new one anyway)

BriEOD
12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I expected this thread to have a photo of your wife. :D

lakes Rick
12-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I expected this thread to have a photo of your wife. :D

This is my kinda comment Bri Bri..

Concerning the down force adjustment.. Just make sure you adjust it to the LIGHTEST setting possible, especially when you have a woman who doesn't get her car all the way into the garage.. DAMHIK......

milkmania
12-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys, saved me $150 for a new unit.

come on now...........

spread the lovehttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/bis.gif

Tom023
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Fixed. Tried the "up force" adjustment and got it work. Then lubricated the door and was able to set the UF adjustment back down to where it was originally. Thanks for tips!

ted shred
12-08-2005, 07:32 PM
I used to go trough this every winter, till the opener finally quit. When I replaced it I got a "srew drive" instead of a chain and after four years of service I have have not had this problem again. I don,t know why but the thing sure works better than the old one ever did.

east tx skier
12-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Fixed. Tried the "up force" adjustment and got it work. Then lubricated the door and was able to set the UF adjustment back down to where it was originally. Thanks for tips!

Tom, I've got an opener from Overhead Door Co. Any idea as to where the "up force" adjustment is?

bcampbe7
12-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Tom, I've got an opener from Overhead Door Co. Any idea as to where the "up force" adjustment is?

You may have to pull off the light cover.

milkmania
12-09-2005, 11:45 AM

wax on, wax off:headbang:

Dan K
12-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I used to go trough this every winter, till the opener finally quit. When I replaced it I got a "srew drive" instead of a chain and after four years of service I have have not had this problem again. I don,t know why but the thing sure works better than the old one ever did.

I think screw drives are way better than chain. For one they are quieter and smoother. They also seem to be a little more consistant in operation.

Kevin 89MC
12-09-2005, 11:56 AM
WD40 is OK, but maybe not the best lubricant. I've noticed it tends to attract dust, not good for the tracks. My local hardware store sells "garage door track lubricant" which has worked well for me. Can't remember what the ingredients are, but I think it's a silicone with some kind of grease in it. I give mine a spray once per year, no problems with mine, and this week it got pretty cold-below zero! Ahh, Minnesota winters. At least we have some snow.

A few friends up here also have the openers mounted right on the torsion spring above the door. A few have had some adjustment issues, but once that is worked out, all of them really like it.

Good luck,
Kevin

bcampbe7
12-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I think screw drives are way better than chain. For one they are quieter and smoother. They also seem to be a little more consistant in operation.

I agree. I replaced my chain drive opener with a Genie. Much better IMHO.

Ric
12-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Adjusted the up force on my sears screw drive opener yesterday and now it's hanging up on the downward force and of course reversing

Curse this cold weather! :rant: