PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone remember?

Farmer Ted
12-08-2005, 12:20 AM
I guess not being an anniversary year it doesn't matter?

I haven't heard jack $hit regarding Pearl Harbor today.

http://www.anders.com/pictures/public/04-views/24%20-%20Pearl%20Harbor%20Memorial%20-%20Hawaii%20-%209-8-2001_sm.jpg

sberry3827
12-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Howard Stern remembered, they had a rememberance this morning.....just giving my 2cents. :D

erkoehler
12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Heard it on the news today....

stevo137
12-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Now that you mention it, there wasn't much recognition today in the news.
Thanks for the post and pic Farmer.

lakes Rick
12-08-2005, 01:53 AM
The Japs own alot of the Media now is my understanding.. Unbelievable the crap we get in this PC world..

BriEOD
12-08-2005, 08:04 AM
I saw an article on AF News about it.

Actually, I got to dive on it once when I was in Hawaii (no BS). It's in about 30' of water. Also, their is a great book about it called Descent Into Darkness. It's about the Navy Divers who worked in Pearl Harbor after the attack.

milkmania
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I saw an article on AF News about it.

Actually, I got to dive on it once when I was in Hawaii (no BS). It's in about 30' of water. Also, their is a great book about it called Descent Into Darkness. It's about the Navy Divers who worked in Pearl Harbor after the attack.

looks pretty good, I'll have to find it.

here's the first 14 or so pages.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0891415890/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-8853999-4611249#reader-link

BriEOD
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
looks pretty good, I'll have to find it.

here's the first 14 or so pages.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0891415890/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-8853999-4611249#reader-link
It's really good! Especially having lived their and gone to US Navy Dive School on Ford Island (In Pearl Harbor) you get to know the history a bit better. Their is some humor in it, but I couldn't put it down. It's very sad some of it. I strongly recommend it.

peason
12-08-2005, 11:01 AM
I remember this every year, since it is my birthday - of course I was born several years after this attack.

shepherd
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Come to think of it, didn't they used to show WWII movies on this day every year? I remember one of the networks used to show Tora!Tora!Tora! on this date every year, which was my favorite war movie back in those days (pre-cable). Even more recently, AMC and/or TCM on cable would show war movies. Didn't notice anything on last night. Was there?

Great book idea Brian! I may have to look that one up myself. Might even be a good gift book for the old man at Christmas.

Hoosier Bob
12-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Last night I was wondering why we had heard so little about 12/7 but have heard all there is about J. Lennon. No offense to fans of Lennon but not quite the same. If asked, I doubt JL would have risked as much as the people whose lives were lost on that day. Just seems hard to forget all our great grandfathers, grandfathers and fathers have done.
:twocents:

BriEOD
12-08-2005, 11:10 PM
What I think is particuarly cool about the USS Arizona Memorial is that some people were added posthumonously. After it was sunk and the bodies sat in seawater for 6 months Congress decided to have it welded shut and cut the bridge off of it. Basically it's a huge underwater tomb. In the structure above the water you can take the ferry out to their is a list of all the sailors entombed. A few men who for whatever reason were assigned to the ship but not physically on it during the bombing and lived, elected to be laid to rest with their shipmates after passing. Their names have also been added to the memorial but are annotated as such. I rank being on the USS Arizona Memorial up there with seeing the Vietnam War,IMO. It is awe inspiring.

milkmania
12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
It's really good! Especially having lived their and gone to US Navy Dive School on Ford Island (In Pearl Harbor) you get to know the history a bit better. Their is some humor in it, but I couldn't put it down. It's very sad some of it. I strongly recommend it.

thanks for the advice on the book.....
couldn't put it down last night, I think I read somewhere around 160 pages

milkmania
01-18-2006, 02:02 AM
MarkP and I came up with an idea.......

on BriEOD's suggestion, I went out and bought Descent Into Darkness....
I enjoyed the book so much, we're gonna play a little "Pay It Forward"

I am packaging the book to send to MarkP, he will read it, autograph it, and pay it forward to another TMC member that'll do the same.

keep in mind we are a TEAM, and we can make this workhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/gossip.gif

I'll make another thread (whoo hoo, I like to make threads) to keep track where the book is.

Ric
01-18-2006, 02:06 AM
MarkP and I came up with an idea.......

on BriEOD's suggestion, I went out and bought Descent Into Darkness....
I enjoyed the book so much, we're gonna play a little "Pay It Forward"

I am packaging the book to send to MarkP, he will read it, autograph it, and pay it forward to another TMC member that'll do the same.

keep in mind we are a TEAM, and we can make this workhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/gossip.gif

I'll make another thread (whoo hoo, I like to make threads) to keep track where the book is.
sounds good to me, can I be next? Pdiddy still has my address (I think)

bcampbe7
01-18-2006, 10:08 AM
sounds good to me, can I be next? Pdiddy still has my address (I think)

Sounds great... I can PM my address to Ric if and when he gets thte book.

BriEOD
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Glad you liked the book Brian. An old girlfriend gave it to me while I was going through Navy Dive School on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor (getting my @$$ beat for 6 weeks is more like it). But, I really enjoyed the book. If you ever get to Pearl Harbor you can see a lot of the areas they discuss in the movie. Plus, the Arizona memorial and museum is fantastic. They have put a lot of money into it.