PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining constant speed.

M-Funf
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I think this is the right place to post this question...

My '76 S&S has difficulty mainaining a constant speed setting. The throttle lever slips back slowly, forcing the driver to keep one hand on the lever.

Is there some friction or clutch adjustment I need to make to prevent this from happening?

:toast:

rodltg2
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
its called perfect pass

T Scott
12-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Likely the return spring on the carb is too tight. You might want to try a spring that is a little weaker or simply stretch your existing spring and see what happens. Don't take the spring off all together because it is there for a reason....safety.

M-Funf
12-07-2005, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=T Scott]Likely the return spring on the carb is too tight./QUOTE]

I'll check that, but I agree with you that for safety reasons, I want that return to be positive. Thanksf for the tip.

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
The spring is the answer. It's on the port side of the engine and is attached to the throttle plate.

G-man
12-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Doug

I surprised at you, the answer is perfect pass

I'm still in LA,

beef
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
SkiDim sells a "zero friction throttle adjuster" thingy that is basically a small clamp that you put on the cable to stop that. I've heard of people using a cable tie tightened down to accomplish the same thing.

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
George, whatcha doin' in L.A., I forget?

If the spring is too tense, perfect pass will not hold the throttle in place. Whatever came with my boat was like a brake spring. It would yank it all way from perfect pass. The thing literally pulls the handle back. I've not noticed this on my father-in-law's 98 205 and he has not made any adjustments (don't know about the P.O.). When I was having issues after my intake manifold install, the dealer put a factory return spring back on there and it would pull the throttle back again. I need to get a replacement as my spring is stretched to the point of being useless.

I know it's on there for safety reasons, but if the cable broke, I think the little curly-Q spring on the throttle plate would bring her back to idle. I'll still put a weak spring on there for the extra assurance though.

M-Funf
12-07-2005, 05:50 PM
its called perfect pass

Thanks, but I can't really justify a PP system. I don't do any course skiing, mostly just open water skiing.

I used to ski the course while on my college ski team, but that was over 15 years ago.

Thanks for all the input. I'll check it out the next time I'm down in the barn and see how strong the spring is...

Leroy
12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
For me after installing PP, the speed holds very constant even without the system engaged. I doubt I would have bought PP if speed had stayed this constant before.

Ric
12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
George, whatcha doin' in L.A., I forget?

If the spring is too tense, perfect pass will not hold the throttle in place. Whatever came with my boat was like a brake spring. It would yank it all way from perfect pass. The thing literally pulls the handle back. I've not noticed this on my father-in-law's 98 205 and he has not made any adjustments (don't know about the P.O.). When I was having issues after my intake manifold install, the dealer put a factory return spring back on there and it would pull the throttle back again. I need to get a replacement as my spring is stretched to the point of being useless.

I know it's on there for safety reasons, but if the cable broke, I think the little curly-Q spring on the throttle plate would bring her back to idle. I'll still put a weak spring on there for the extra assurance though.
is your avatar your perfect pass Doug?

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Yup! You remember Otto? I searched in vain for a .gif of his head bobbing.

Ric
12-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Yup! You remember Otto? I searched in vain for a .gif of his head bobbing.
Ya I remember but do you have to blow yours up manually :purplaugh

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Only in wakeboard mode! :woohoo:

M-Funf
12-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Only in wakeboard mode! :woohoo:

:purplaugh :purplaugh

You couldn't find the picture where he's smoking???

G-man
12-07-2005, 07:41 PM
LA being Louisiana I'm doing some Flood Insurance adjusting. Hope to be back in Dallas area the middle of the month. After todays sleet is long gone

ted shred
12-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Keeping your hand on the lever was standard opperating procedure on a 76 S&S. This was the original perfect pass. Even today on PP equipped boats I still rest my hand very close to the throttle.

88 PS190
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I keep my hand near it so that i'm ready to back off when someone bites it.

That said, if you're trying to go down a course I need two hands on the wheel so I don't make any big mistakes, esp w/ all the pull.

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 11:31 PM
LA being Louisiana I'm doing some Flood Insurance adjusting. Hope to be back in Dallas area the middle of the month. After todays sleet is long gone

That's right. Have a safe trip back. It's getting prety nasty for Texas at the moment.

east tx skier
12-07-2005, 11:32 PM
:purplaugh :purplaugh

You couldn't find the picture where he's smoking???

No, this was the best that GIS could get me.