PDA

View Full Version : stoopid people

milkmania
12-06-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah, we're talking about deer hunters... I was supposed to go 4 wheeling this last week but I declined as it was deer season:rolleyes:

Local News Deer hunter charged with negligent homicide

(AP) - An Oklahoma hunter who authorities say apparently killed a man he mistook for a deer faces a misdemeanor charge of negligent homicide, Arkansas Sheriff John Partain says.

The charge against Jimmy Joe Box, 41, of Fanshawe were filed Monday, and Box will be arraigned Thursday in Sevier County Circuit Court, county officials say.

Phillip John "P.J." Smith, 20, of Lockesburg, Ark., was killed Nov. 26 while in woods in the Melrose community.

Smith was riding on a four-wheeler trail through the woods with his 19-year old-cousin Michael Dean, when the shooting occurred.

Smith apparently took three buckshot pellets in the face and two pellets in the upper chest area.

Smith was not wearing hunter's orange clothing and Dean was wearing a camouflaged jacket and a hunter's orange cap, authorities say.

According to authorities, Box was hunting as a guest on a hunting lease with his father-in-law. Box was hunting in a thick overgrown pine plantation and was on a deer stand when he heard dogs running, brush popping and saw movement in the bushes, authorities say.

Box shot one time toward the movement without identifying his target, then heard a shout from the area that a man was down, authorities say. Box got off his stand and went to see what had happened and called 911 from his cell phone.

He then started walking toward the road where he encountered Bobby Parson, another hunter, and asked him to get help. Parson used a portable radio to call Gerald Parson, who then called the Sevier County Sheriffs Office.

The negligent homicide charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in the county jail and a $1,000 fine. Box was already charged in the case with hunting without an Arkansas license and possession of a firearm by a certain person or a felon in possession of a firearm. The charge is a felony that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

Records showed Box had felony convictions in Sebastian County for drug violations in 1999 and 2001.

http://www.poteaudailynews.com/articles/2005/12/06/local_news/news02.txt

PendO
12-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Box shot one time toward the movement without identifying his target, then heard a shout from the area that a man was down, authorities say. http://www.poteaudailynews.com/articles/2005/12/06/local_news/news02.txt

That is so F'ing sad ... who the hell are these people who shoot w/o clearly identifying a target ... as the Japanese would say, I hope he does the honorable thing!

milkmania
12-06-2005, 06:01 PM
and I'm going to bring upa few points here:mad:

buckshot?!?!?! *** for deer season?
Can't hear a 4 wheeler?!?!?!?!?
No orange in Rifle Deer Season?!?!?!?

5 pellets from buckshot?!?!?!? 3 to the face & 2 to the chest? and they killed a man? How close was this guy? I had a pellet lodged under my skin once... well, it was bird shot, so maybe it wasn't as bad

AirJunky
12-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Heres a freaky one for ya....... I saw this article (http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=webhunter30&date=20051130&query=hunter+killed) and had to go dig up Casey's last name to make sure it wasn't PendeOreilleSkier that had just been killed. :eek:

milkmania
12-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Heres a freaky one for ya....... I saw this article (http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=webhunter30&date=20051130&query=hunter+killed) and had to go dig up Casey's last name to make sure it wasn't PendeOreilleSkier that had just been killed. :eek:

dang....................
Idaho is one of a handful of states that don't require hunters to wear orange.

jmyers
12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
This is why I DON'T DEER HUNT!!!! Bird hunting is all I do, you don't see many articles on people being killed with duck and pheasant shot!! I take my 4 year old out in the field, but would never take him any where near those damn rifles that kill you miles away!!! :mad:

Rockman
12-06-2005, 08:07 PM
And that's exactly why we ski when the weather gets butt cold up hear. :D

The guy's wife should be able to do the same thing to the guy who shot him.

bcampbe7
12-06-2005, 08:46 PM
This all too sad and unfortunately happens way too often.

This one occurred a few miles from my parents house in Iowa. My Mom attempted CPR on the guy (First Responder), but he died at the scene. What made this even more traumatic was that the guys Dad is the one that shot him.
Iowa Hunting incident (http://www.kgan.com/cgi-bin/csNews.cgi?database=CBS%202%20News%20Old%2edb&command=viewone&id=2380&op=t)

If you hunt, please be careful and aware of your surroundings!

BriEOD
12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
That's why I don't hunt. To many idiots.

PendO
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
That's why I don't hunt. To many idiots.

Yeah, unless you have rights on private land it is not worth it ... even then it is iffy ... amazing how stupid some people get with a gun in their hands, the last two guys I have hunted with in Idaho both had private rights ... one wanted to shoot the pheasants as they ran on the ground thru the corn fields (and his dog absolutely stunk, we took 1/2 of they day looking for it when it got lost) and the other guy was pissed that he didn't bag a rooster so he shot a hen as the day was ending. Needless to say the first time was the last time!

The three moose that I have been seeing in my neighborhood are sticking around in the field behind the house (bedding down about 150 yards away) ... I think they are having a tough time as this is the first winter we have had snow this early in a while and they look to be pretty juvenile ... there is only 20 acres back there ... is that very much for 2 cows and a young bull?

Jimmy O
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't get it. I know accidents happen but up north here in Saskatchewan, a sportsman's paradise, you have to, as a 1st time hunter or under 16 years of age, take a hunter safety course. If not, you can't legally hunt. You also have to have to have an f.a.c. (firearms aquisition certificate) to buy or sell guns and ammunition. In order to obtain an f.a.c. you cannot have any criminal record or issues of sanity. Hec, if you had a recent divorce, you probably wouldn't get one. Not that i'm totally ageeing with more regulation, but it may prevent unstable people from hunting. If your not an avid or serious hunter, you probably won't hunt.

mgurley
12-07-2005, 10:07 AM
yeah, we're talking about deer hunters... I was supposed to go 4 wheeling this last week but I declined as it was deer season:rolleyes:

Local News Deer hunter charged with negligent homicide

(AP) - An Oklahoma hunter who authorities say apparently killed a man he mistook for a deer faces a misdemeanor charge of negligent homicide, Arkansas Sheriff John Partain says.

The charge against Jimmy Joe Box, 41, of Fanshawe were filed Monday, and Box will be arraigned Thursday in Sevier County Circuit Court, county officials say.

Phillip John "P.J." Smith, 20, of Lockesburg, Ark., was killed Nov. 26 while in woods in the Melrose community.

Smith was riding on a four-wheeler trail through the woods with his 19-year old-cousin Michael Dean, when the shooting occurred.

Smith apparently took three buckshot pellets in the face and two pellets in the upper chest area.

Smith was not wearing hunter's orange clothing and Dean was wearing a camouflaged jacket and a hunter's orange cap, authorities say.

According to authorities, Box was hunting as a guest on a hunting lease with his father-in-law. Box was hunting in a thick overgrown pine plantation and was on a deer stand when he heard dogs running, brush popping and saw movement in the bushes, authorities say.

Box shot one time toward the movement without identifying his target, then heard a shout from the area that a man was down, authorities say. Box got off his stand and went to see what had happened and called 911 from his cell phone.

He then started walking toward the road where he encountered Bobby Parson, another hunter, and asked him to get help. Parson used a portable radio to call Gerald Parson, who then called the Sevier County Sheriffs Office.

The negligent homicide charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in the county jail and a $1,000 fine. Box was already charged in the case with hunting without an Arkansas license and possession of a firearm by a certain person or a felon in possession of a firearm. The charge is a felony that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

Records showed Box had felony convictions in Sebastian County for drug violations in 1999 and 2001.

http://www.poteaudailynews.com/articles/2005/12/06/local_news/news02.txt

Don't label all deer hunters as "stoopid" because a small percentage of the group exhibits those properties. It is not fair to the group as a whole. A group that I am proud to be a part of based on some good things that hunters do that will never be published by any media oulet much less posted by you because the stories about helping out your neighbor or the needy in your community just doesn't get the same response does it?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-07-2005, 10:22 AM
OK, I might as well throw my 2 cents out here too. I was raised hunting and fishing here. I dont hunt anything anymore for several reasons. First, I just have other things I prefer to do more: music, and waterskiing. Second, crazy $hit happening like this article. there was a thing last year in Wisconsin where a guy flipped out and killed several hunters after they got into an argument about him hunting in their stand on private property. Too many crazy people out there for me these days. It just isnt worth it. Plus, its possible you can get diseases from the deer while field dressing them. lymes disease and Bovine TB are possible from what I have read. ANd its possible you can get west nile virus from Ruffed grouse. Scary!! OK, here I go on my rant. now for the most part I am not one for governmental OVER regulation, but I truly believe the DNR should certainly require basic hunter orange in every state, thats a NO brainer!! and I think there should be more extensive hunter safety training. I mean I hate when the government over regulates things, but man, this can be dangerous. People need to be safe out there. having more extensive training will weed out the idiots that wont take the effort to do it, and the responsible ones will. That would help keep some of the idiots out of the woods. Ive said the same thing about boating, I think the DNR should require people to have a boat driving license. I think they should need to go to a boaters safety course before buying and or operating a boat. People think they can just write a check and go boating, or write a check and go hunting :mad:

SteveO
12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
The charge against Jimmy Joe Box, 41, of Fanshawe http://www.poteaudailynews.com/articles/2005/12/06/local_news/news02.txt

Going through life with a name of Jimmy Joe, may explain part of this sad story. I'm sure the phrase "hey bubba, watch this" has come out of his mouth a few times.

12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Going through life with a name of Jimmy Joe, may explain part of this sad story. I'm sure the phrase "hey bubba, watch this" has come out of his mouth a few times.

Hey Stevo, isnt the phrase "hold my beer" supposed to be in that too..?? :confused:

milkmania
12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Don't label all deer hunters as "stoopid" because a small percentage of the group exhibits those properties. you are correct and what UMP says below has a lot to do with that.

. People think they can just write a check and go boating, or write a check and go hunting :mad:

Also, I have hunted in the past...many years ago. I am not a hunter, and don't proclaim to be, but I wouldn't want to be out in the woods when deer season starts, heck, the stores & their parking lots get very dangerous when these guys are all walking and driving around like zombies with glassy eyes.... chanting, "I'm gonna get the big one this year".

I've seen the oldtimers flock to look at dead deer in the back of trucks, it's a very strange phenomenon. Lots of back slapping, jabbin' & pokin', grunting and making all kinds of weird noises.

But I have also seen hunters that are dedicated to the sport, and they're also disgusted when some idiot makes an attempt at ruining the sport. It's a whole different mentality, and I'm just sitting here thinking.... "It's all about how you were raised"................................................. kinda like the pit bulls? It's all about how they're raised:(

JimN
12-07-2005, 10:42 AM
So, apparently, deer driving or riding on four wheelers is not uncommon in Oklahoma. If Jimmy Joe shot at a noise, it sure couldn't have been twigs breaking and leaves rustling. It would have been a MOTORIZED VEHICLE. What a dumba$$!

I don't hunt, but IIRC, a hunter generally stays quiet so the deer won't be spooked and run off or at least avoid the area where the sound is coming from. Like the sound of dogs and four wheel vehicles. This guy is way too stoopid to have a gun in his hands.

milkmania
12-07-2005, 10:49 AM
that was kind of my point when I goofed up and mis-labeled deer hunters:o

I don't know what these guys do in the woods and I can only speculate it's a free for all! I for sure don't want to go out in the woods during this time, it's really weird out there.

mgurley
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Dumb@ss people are out there everywhere you go, I see at least one every morning on my drive into work.

I agree there are hunters out there who have no bussiness being out there. But the same holds true for any sport or hobby there are people involved that are clueless and downright dangerous. There are plenty of ignorant boaters out there that none of us are proud to be assosiated with but we cannot punish an immense (sp?) group of like minded people that enjoy a particular sport or hobby because of a few idiots.

Jimmy O
12-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I agree. Stupid people just don't gather in hunting circles. Boating accidents are more common. On another note that is why we have to pass a boating certification course up here in Canada by 2009.

Ric
12-07-2005, 11:49 AM
sounds like a place you don't wanna be & sounds like this felon will spend some time with some other neanderthahls for awhile. He will also carry the burden of this senseless death for the rest of his life.

I have hunted Arkansas and let's say it's just "different" there.
Yes, there were actually guys out there deer hunting with 20gage shotguns(even saw one with a mullet that was hunting deer with a scoped pistol).
Needless to say, I haven't been back.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of parents, drivers and boaters (to name a few) that aren't qualified and are dangerous.

and I'm going to bring upa few points here:mad:

buckshot?!?!?! *** for deer season?
Can't hear a 4 wheeler?!?!?!?!?
No orange in Rifle Deer Season?!?!?!?

5 pellets from buckshot?!?!?!? 3 to the face & 2 to the chest? and they killed a man? How close was this guy? I had a pellet lodged under my skin once... well, it was bird shot, so maybe it wasn't as bad

jmac197
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Anyone have the thought that Jimmy Joe was mad at the guys on the ATV's for making so much noise and decided to fire a round over their heads? Now that would be criminal, hard to prove, but criminal.

JimN
12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
JimmyO- you're saying there are no stupid hunters out there? I have to disagree with that one, big time. They can be incredibly stupid, but still safe. After hunting for a long time and getting tuned up for doing things that are unsafe, even a moron will learn that you carry a gun in a way that doesn't have the muzzle pointed in the direction of people, keep the trigger finger off of the trigger till the target has been identified, the area is clear of other people/non targets and it's time to shoot, and NEVER try to "clean a loaded gun". Also, getting in "one last shot" at the end of the hunting day just sounds like the person involved couldn't live without getting their deer, for fear of being ridiculed by the rest of the hunting party. There will be another day to hunt.

I actually know someone who stopped inviting his friends to the family land because of the possibility of them shooting a deer that he "should have" shot. This guy has WAY too many guns for me to be comfortable being near him and any kind of gun (even his >1000FPS pellet gun). He has, or may still work for, Gander Mountain and has guns hidden all over his house. Seems like just a matter of time.

This last one baffles me- if someone is cleaning a gun, they apparently know that a gun should be maintained and possibly how it works. Why someone would not make dang sure it doesn't have any possibilty of firing makes me think that A) the person intentionally shot themself, B) they were careless or C), they shouldn't have been cleaning the gun in the first place.

12-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Dumb@ss people are out there everywhere you go, I see at least one every morning on my drive into work.

Word up to that!!!

It seems no matter what the application, dumb people are everywhere. :noface:

Ya know Milk, I have seen that "phenomenon" you speak of!!!! :purplaugh Its quite strange, I agree!!!

This is coming from a yooper that was a hunter growing up. I guess I support the sport or art of hunting in its simplest form. NO trucks, no 4 wheelers, no snowmobiles, no bait piles, no stands or blinds. you wanna shoot a deer,....you get your arse out there on your feet in the elements like the deer and hunt them. Just you, some warm clothes, and a gun. go do it. See how many hunters you have then. ;)

People just need to be smarter, end of story.

Ric
12-07-2005, 12:41 PM
looking into a down and dirty mountain range bowhunt for elk next year
Hey if I don't post after next fall, send a search party or at least look for some news reports on some fat guy getting stuck with an errant arrow!!

Word up to that!!!

It seems no matter what the application, dumb people are everywhere. :noface:

Ya know Milk, I have seen that "phenomenon" you speak of!!!! :purplaugh Its quite strange, I agree!!!

This is coming from a yooper that was a hunter growing up. I guess I support the sport or art of hunting in its simplest form. NO trucks, no 4 wheelers, no snowmobiles, no bait piles, no stands or blinds. you wanna shoot a deer,....you get your arse out there on your feet in the elements like the deer and hunt them. Just you, some warm clothes, and a gun. go do it. See how many hunters you have then. ;)

People just need to be smarter, end of story.

JimN
12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
UMP- where in the UP are you?

Ric- you mean a fat guy with antlers, don't you?

Jimmy O
12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
JimN. There are lots of stupid hunters out there. Remember the 6th sense. Well, my saying is " every where i go i see stupid people, and they don't even know their stupid. Anyway, as a former Resource Officer, iv'e seen alot of things that would make you sick in as far as abuse of wildlife, safety, personal property and human life. I'm an avid hunter and bow hunter. All i'm saying is, stupid people are everywhere.

milkmania
12-11-2005, 07:45 AM
this seems fitting:rolleyes:

Hunter Dangles Upside Down for 8 Hours

December 10, 2005, 7:44 AM EST

MOUNT HOLLY, Ark. -- A hunter suffered hypothermia and kidney damage after becoming entangled in his deer stand and dangling upside down 30 feet above the ground in sleet for 8 1/2 hours.

Raybon E. Upton was hunting by himself Wednesday when his ankle became caught on the deer stand and he slipped. He was trapped there until about midnight when rescuers called by his wife were finally able to free him.

"I had cooked a big supper and he wasn't home, then I just got this gut feeling that something wasn't right. And I went out there and found him," Tammy Upton said Friday.

Upton was conscious but trapped when his wife found him about 8:30 p.m. and call for help. A firefighter was able to secure him with a rope until a fire crew with a ladder could free him.

Upton underwent surgery on Thursday and had another scheduled Saturday and Monday, his wife said.

"He thought he was going to die there," Tammy Upton said. "He had made his peace with God and everything."

Brent
12-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Stupid with a weapon designed to kill is not a combination that is acceptable, no matter how small a percentage it is . A training course & other hurdles(permits for ammo) would weed out most of the intellectually challenged & as a result save lives. Stupid accidents will always happen (most accidents are stupid), but in the case of hunting ,some of them could be culled!

I'm sure you don't want to be in the wood when I've got a gun, hell I wouldn't want to be there either ! :eek:

bigmac
12-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Deer hunting in Minnesota is a big deal - opener is practically a holiday. I quit deer hunting several years ago when it got to the point where it became clear that my life was in danger being out in the woods with that many armed idiots. This area of Minnesota is prime deer hunting country, and it's only two hours from the Twin Cities, so we get more than our share of those people who's only experience with a firearm is the 4 or 5 days a year that they go deer hunting.

In the spectrum of firearms injuries over the course of my career, I've seen several small-caliber and low-velocity gunshot wounds, and a few shotgun wounds (usually self-inflicted). They can be bad enough, but the damage done to a human body by a typical deer rifle is truly astonishing.

Fortunately, gunshot wounds during deer season are very rare. These people (generalizing here), as inexperienced as they are with firearms, are even less experienced in conducting themselves safely (or even with common sense) in outdoor pursuits. As a result, injuries associated with deer stands are FAR more common. And not just falling out of them...deer hunters injure themselves in deer stands in absolutely creative ways. The other common injuries to these newbie woodsmen are things like falling into ravines, cutting themselves while field-dressing a deer, burns from Johnny Walker-induced falls into the campfire, and getting lost for a couple of days. I always wonder whether or not those injuries are taking the more profound idiots out of the hunt early, thereby preventing them from accidentally shooting someone - if they outlawed deer stands and knives, and gave everyone a GPS, would we see a lot more gunshot wounds?

Those more mundane injuries don't usually involve me, but my memory of the two deer rifle injuries I've seen in my career always makes me breathe a sigh of relief when deer season is over.

addendum: There was one deer hunting fatality due to GSW in this county this year (fortunately went to the other hospital). I noted in the paper yesterday that the County attorney is filing manslaughter charges against the shooter.