PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Training

captain planet
12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I love to go barefooting but I have one problem, I have sissy feet. My feet get so "hot" that I have to drop off after a couple hundred yards. It is the worst early in the season and gets better later in the season but I have yet to have to stop footing because I have run out of water or have become tired. It is ALWAYS because my feet are tender. Sometimes in order to stay on longer without stopping I will ride on my rear-end for a while or just do a tumble turn or two....or three. I have tried slowing down to like 35-36 and that helps a bit but the spray becomes a problem. I usually foot at about 38-39.

Anyway, I am going to try some off season toughening up of my feet and was wondering what ideas the rest of you might have on this topic, or if any of you have this same problem.

Thanks.

sizzler
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
this may not suit everyone.......but my dad was a pig farmer andthey used to swear blind that by washing their hands in pigs pi$$ they used to harden up the skin on their hands.......

try it on ya feet....what have you got to lose????

apart from friends :D

bcampbe7
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
this may not suit everyone.......but my dad was a pig farmer andthey used to swear blind that by washing their hands in pigs pi$$ they used to harden up the skin on their hands.......

How do you convince the pig to pi$$ on your hands?!? :D

88 PS190
12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Acid like that in urine will help develop callous, but it might make you kinda tender as well.

Do alot of barefoot activities all year round and it'll toughen your feet.

Hard to do in winter i suppose, but you could always run the trash out barefoot, might start workin it.

ski_king
12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I have always found walking around barefoot toughens them up.

The trick is you need to do it out doors or at least on some sort of abrasive surface like cement.

How about lining whatever you kick around in at home with sandpaper. :confused:

CoFooter
12-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Someone told me once that putting gravel in your socks works. I'm pretty sure they we're playing with me, but it may be worth a try. Also, heard that walking around a lot in sandals helps. Usually, springtime comes and I haven't done much of anything, so I just tough it out. Shorter runs in the spring, more work on tricks, and the use of shoe skis a little bit help me adjust. Usually after three or four times out I'm good to go.

ski_king
12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Tannic acid to toughen: Marathoners and long distance walkers may want to t oughen the feet with 10% tannic acid or a tea soak. Apply the tannic acid to your feet, or soak in strong tea, twice daily for two to three weeks. (http://walking.about.com/cs/blisterschafing/a/blistersbegone_2.htm)

Rockman
12-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I walk around most of the summer in flip flops or barefeet which helps.

If you have a cat scatcher at the house, that'll work if you rub your feet against it while watching TV at night, etc.

Ask Sassy Do what's he created to aid himself when encountered with this problem. :D

ski_king
12-06-2005, 02:02 PM

try it and let us know how it works.

CoFooter
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
If you aren't a Farmer, where do you get it? Maybe someone should bottle it up a sell it......

SKI*MC
12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I heard that joging on gravel helps, so i guess the pebles in the socks would work, it would be a little pit uncomfortable, but i think it would be better than putting pig piss on them...

Cloaked
12-07-2005, 08:14 AM
This thread is wrong in so many ways. A moderator really should close this thread....

LMFAO........ Pig urine, acidic callous', talking to a pig, walking in the park, barefoot activities, and ski_king coaxing someone to "try it and let us know!".... :D ...... :uglyhamme

Please close this thread.... :D

jkski
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=captain planet]I love to go barefooting but I have one problem, I have sissy feet. My feet get so "hot" that I have to drop off after a couple hundred yards. It is the worst early in the season and gets better later in the season but I have yet to have to stop footing because I have run out of water or have become tired. It is ALWAYS because my feet are tender. Sometimes in order to stay on longer without stopping I will ride on my rear-end for a while or just do a tumble turn or two....or three. I have tried slowing down to like 35-36 and that helps a bit but the spray becomes a problem. I usually foot at about 38-39.

Anyway, I am going to try some off season toughening up of my feet and was wondering what ideas the rest of you might have on this topic, or if any of you have this same problem.

Thanks.[/QUO

Being an Ohio Footer myself, I feel your pain (no pun intended). Are your feet getting hot or are they swelling on the insides. If you are getting swelling, you may want to switch your stance a bit to avoid this, and try coming a bit more forward....not too far, as we all know what happens when you catch a toe.
I always start the season doing 4-5 shorter runs to get the feet bruised and then switch to shoe skis for a bit. Keep repeating this process and in about 1 weeks time, you'll be good to go. I have tried a lot of different "winter fixes" and quite frankly nothing seems to have the same effect as the first few runs of the year. It only takes a few runs, so you may have to suffer and just do it more often.

A big thing to keep in mind is that your legs generally are not in shape for footin early in the season, so this causes poor position, which makes the foot feel hot quicker. Try doing lunges and also squatting down with your back against a wall in the footin position and holding it for a period of time (increase your times the more you do it). This helps to keep the muscles in shape. The other thing to keep in mind is not to "flex your toes towards your nose". You want them up, but when you exagerate the flex, you expose the tendon in the bottom of your foot and things heat-up really quickly.

OR.... Go the the annual New Years Day Barefoot Tournament at Lake Norman, NC for a bit of off season footin!!! (It's a blast)

For what it's worth.

Cloaked
12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Being an Ohio Footer myself, I feel your pain (no pun intended). Are your feet getting hot or are they swelling on the insides. If you are getting swelling, you may want to switch your stance a bit to avoid this, and try coming a bit more forward....not too far, as we all know what happens when you catch a toe.
I always start the season doing 4-5 shorter runs to get the feet bruised and then switch to shoe skis for a bit. Keep repeating this process and in about 1 weeks time, you'll be good to go. I have tried a lot of different "winter fixes" and quite frankly nothing seems to have the same effect as the first few runs of the year. It only takes a few runs, so you may have to suffer and just do it more often.

A big thing to keep in mind is that your legs generally are not in shape for footin early in the season, so this causes poor position, which makes the foot feel hot quicker. Try doing lunges and also squatting down with your back against a wall in the footin position and holding it for a period of time (increase your times the more you do it). This helps to keep the muscles in shape. The other thing to keep in mind is not to "flex your toes towards your nose". You want them up, but when you exagerate the flex, you expose the tendon in the bottom of your foot and things heat-up really quickly.

OR.... Go the the annual New Years Day Barefoot Tournament at Lake Norman, NC for a bit of off season footin!!! (It's a blast)

For what it's worth.I heard pig pi$$ will cure your pain... :D :uglyhamme

More footin' will do the trick too... :firejump:

jkski
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Pig Pi$$ could be the cure, however in the north we try not to get that close to the pigs!!!
(Only kidding, I couldn't help but take the shot, it was right in front of me)

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-07-2005, 10:23 PM
As Sporty is saying, I don't think it is just a matter of toughening up the skin on the soles of your feet (pig pee won't help). You need to get the muscle and tissue of your feet used to the pounding. The same thing happens when you slalom. The first few times out you'll get that bruise on the outside of your back calf.......then after a little while it doesn't bother you.

Putting time in on your feet is the answer. Start slowly, if you over-do it you'll be bruised so badly it will take a couple of weeks for the pain to go away. Again, I think Sporty has the right idea.

captain planet
12-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, this question I post has gotten more attention than I figured. Some of the ideas I will try. I figure that if I start walking around a lot more in my barefeet early in the spring on paved surfaces that will help. I live in the city so obtaining pig urine may be a stretch (thank god!) :) and my wife may have something to say about that! Putting gravel in my socks seems a bit intrusive, a bit over-the-top.....and a bit painfull :eek:.

The only thing that I know that I do wrong is not pointing my "toes to my nose". I have tried to keep then lower but in trying that I have done my share of face plants.

I think Laurel Lake Skiier is right, I have to toughen the muscles in the bottom of my foot because the pain in my feet is not so much "hot" as it is just tender pain. That being said it looks like the pig urine idea is out for sure.

jkski
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, this question I post has gotten more attention than I figured. Some of the ideas I will try. I figure that if I start walking around a lot more in my barefeet early in the spring on paved surfaces that will help. I live in the city so obtaining pig urine may be a stretch (thank god!) :) and my wife may have something to say about that! Putting gravel in my socks seems a bit intrusive, a bit over-the-top.....and a bit painfull :eek:.

The only thing that I know that I do wrong is not pointing my "toes to my nose". I have tried to keep then lower but in trying that I have done my share of face plants.

I think Laurel Lake Skiier is right, I have to toughen the muscles in the bottom of my foot because the pain in my feet is not so much "hot" as it is just tender pain. That being said it looks like the pig urine idea is out for sure.

Captn'

If you "point your toes to your nose", you will certainly bruise the tendon in the bottom of your foot, so you want to have your foot relaxed. With that said, the face plants hurt so you want to have the toes up slightly, but not too much. If you take off a shoe and put your hand on the bottom of your foot and flex your toes back, you'll feel the tendon, then relax then to point where they are still up but not exaggerated, and you've now found your sweet spot. This allows the tendon to absorb the pounding, and flex.
The other thing on the face plants..... make sure you don't look down at your feet, "if you look down, you go down".

Happy Footin'

BriEOD
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Nah guys, no pig poop and pee needed. Get a good hot stokin fire with some red hot coals going in your backyard and take a few walks accross it. Never mind that burning flesh smell. By the time the skin grows back you won't feel a thing. ;)

Cloaked
12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Nah guys, no pig poop and pee needed. Get a good hot stokin fire with some red hot coals going in your backyard and take a few walks accross it. Never mind that burning flesh smell. By the time the skin grows back you won't feel a thing. ;)Thanks for getting this thread back on track. :wavey:

It was never about technique. :noface: That is a buncha' hog wash.... :D

captain planet
12-08-2005, 05:24 PM
make sure you don't look down at your feet, "if you look down, you go down".

Happy Footin'

Yes, the "look down, fall down" is a statement that is passed around our group of skiiers at our boat-club.

areamike
12-11-2005, 09:57 AM
If all else fails trying to toughen up your feet during the off-season, Try putting DUCT-Tape on the bottom of your feet when you foot. You will still be using your feet yet you will have the tenderness protection of the Tape.

mike

captain planet
12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
If all else fails trying to toughen up your feet during the off-season, Try putting DUCT-Tape on the bottom of your feet when you foot. You will still be using your feet yet you will have the tenderness protection of the Tape.

mike

That sounds like that might work alright. I never liked to use shoe skis since it is like trying to stand up on an ice rink right after the Zamboni has made it all wet. Thanks for the advice.

88 PS190
12-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Couldn't the bottoms of your shoe skis be modified for more "grip" / drag. It seems like if you scuffed it real well, or even checkered it like a grip on a shotgun that it'd have more presence, and then be less slipery.

jkski
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
You actually want the shoes to be slippery, because it forces you to get in the proper position, otherwise you'll fall. If you can learn on the shoe skis, the transfer to your bare feet is mush easier, and you'll have better body position (you will have avoided the bad habits).

areamike
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
You actually want the shoes to be slippery, because it forces you to get in the proper position, otherwise you'll fall. If you can learn on the shoe skis, the transfer to your bare feet is mush easier, and you'll have better body position (you will have avoided the bad habits).

a BIG DITTO on that!

Some GOOD shoe skis

http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=86

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
It was never about technique. :noface: That is a buncha' hog wash.... :D
Is that the same as Pig Pi$$?

vegashomeexpert
12-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Now, I am not a footer so parden my ignorance. But when I read this thread, I gotta ask, WHY? Using toxins like bovine swine urine as a psychodelic remody to fix sore feet? Is it really worth the pain and effort just to have the sensation of waking on water? Answer me, PLEASE! And I may be a convert to that ghastly sport of footin'!

Ric
12-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I recently talked to the guy who designed the perfect pull slalom training device.
He wants to sell all the gear & the name to someone who's willing to resurrect the device

(I know this device isn't really about barefooting but it is about off season training)

I can build and ship and distribute them but , who'd be interested in such an item?

LINK (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1556)

captain planet
12-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Now, I am not a footer so parden my ignorance. But when I read this thread, I gotta ask, WHY? Using toxins like bovine swine urine as a psychodelic remody to fix sore feet? Is it really worth the pain and effort just to have the sensation of waking on water? Answer me, PLEASE! And I may be a convert to that ghastly sport of footin'!

Vegas, I have to say that, despite my painfull feet, there is nothing that I would rather do behind/beside my boat than go footin' (slalom is a close second). I think that anyone that is a footer can attest that footin is like a drug, the sensation of being on the water with nothing but the handle in your hand and your feet on the water is unmatched by anything else. It's freedom, no ski(s), no wakeboard, no kneeboard, just you and the water. Really cool. :cool: The only other thing that I can think of, for me, that has the same feeling is taking a long (snow) ski run down a long trail, it's freedom. Nothing like it. I think the, oh just don't fall the wrong way :eek: plays a factor in it as well.

Try it sometime, you might get rid of the rest of your equip and get just a suit and handle.

jkski
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Well put Captn'.
Just to add one other thing.........
Everyone I ever run into that doesn't foot, thinks that it must be the hardest thing in the world to do, well here's a little secret..... it really isn't. As you progress beyond the basics, it does get harder, but it honestly looks a lot harder than it really is, especially with the training devices that are available to utilize.
Try it, you'll never go back, plus let's face it, the "Cool Factor" is right up there with seeing someone pull off a nice invert on a wakeboard, and since I can't do that, I'll keep my feet on the water!

areamike
12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Barefooting is the most addiciting of all the "WaterSkiing" sports you can learn.
I have yet to meet a footer that tried it and did not get the "bug".
I have been footing as a leisure thing for 20 years now and I would rather do that then ANYTHING else behind a boat. The thrill is awesome! One of the biggest rushes I've experienced.