PDA

View Full Version : Antique S&S Bow Bilge doesn't drain

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Alright I've had something nagging at me. In my 1982 Stars & Stripes, water that finds its way into the bilge finds its way forward of the pylon mount and into the bow which hapens to be the low spot of the bilge. For some reason Mastercraft decided to mount the bilge pump right under the engine which seems to be high ground in the bilge to me. I have been able to get about 2 gallons of water out of the rear drain plug by lifting the trailer tongue as high as possible so the rudder touches the ground (on my sloped driveway).
I had thought about relocating the pump forward but was concerned about access. So instead I decided to eliminate the low spot.
I did this work in conjunction with reinforcement of my pylon mounts which I am pretty proud of (see 82 S&S Pylon Reinforcement), so the floor forward of the engine was already out.

I started by cutting a "dam" to fit the cross section contour of the hull just forward of my newly reinforced pylon bracket.

I used a 1/2" thick wedi shower waterproofing backer board for this job because they are waterproof, lightweight, mold & mildew resistant, easy to cut, and their sealant/adhesive is a modified urethane that is Mil Spec and used for waterproofing in Amphibious Fighting Vehicles for the USMC
www.wedicorp.com

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:16 AM
Next I cut a panel of the backer board 21 1/2" wide x 39 3/8" long. I added sealant to the top of my "dam" where the panel will sit right on top. This placement allows the panel to fit right between the stingers where they meet the hull and reach all the way to the forward-most bilge bulkhead in the bow.

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:18 AM
Next I added sealant along all the joints at the sides and front of the wedi panel. This creates an elevated sub-floor so the forward bow is no longer the low point in the bilge.

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:22 AM
The only thing I ALMOST got caught on was the depth of the battery box when I reinstalled the floor. When I realized I didn't account for clearance of that it was an "Oh $hi+" moment. Luckily there was actually about 1/2" of clearance between my new sub-floor and the bottom of the installed battery box.
I would rather be lucky than good!

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:23 AM
All done for now. She goes back in the water tomorrow for a weekend of fun!

Olaff
07-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Anyone know how to rotate pics 90 degrees? these show up in the proper orientation on my picture gallery, but are sideways when I post to TT!?!?!

81mastercraft
07-26-2014, 10:06 AM
What kind of blige pump are you running? Mine is broke an I need to replace it.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I got a new pump for my '77 through eBay. Sahara automatic for $26.99 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261347967930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

cruiser
07-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Great Job, so far I have not had the same problem.

ski_king
07-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Very Nice. I had the same problem with my 82.

In 83, I relocated the pump into the low position. It is a little difficult to get to, but has been trouble free ever since.

81mastercraft
07-26-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't mean to sound dumb but how does the pump mount to the floor? Does anyone have any pics?

waterlogged882
07-26-2014, 07:31 PM
There is a snap-in type housing glued to the floor. The body of the pump sits in there and twists a partial revolution to snap in, or some similar configuration.

Olaff
07-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Mine is attached to one of the thru-hull bolts that fixes the middle tracking fin.
Before it had a small machine screw that was screwed in to the hull fiberglass in the same location. I took the screw out and filled the old hole with resin. I'll take a pic and post the current mount.