PDA

View Full Version : New Here - 1977 S&S

Wolf
07-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi all,
Just purchased a 1977 S&S from another "inmate" here...the original idea was to buy it for my daughter as she is a show skier and needs a boat, but I might just like it enough to make her at least share it with me :) The boat is overall in pretty good shape (I'm not real fussy). My plan is to run it until the end of the season as is and then start working on it over the winter. For starters I think I will want to replace the floor and carpet (not bad, but I figured at that point I'll see what else might be needed), as well as the upholstery. I'd also like to rewire the gages (some work, some don't) and run a new wiring harness for the lights. As far as the hull goes, I have one pretty good chip that appears to have gone through the gel coat, I may have to pay attention to that right away.
Since I am completely new to boat restorations (I come from the motorcycle racing world) I need to find good resources - hence my participation on here at TT. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have - go easy on me...I'm a rookie :)
Cheers,

Wolf

JMann
07-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Let me be the first to say WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

Oh yea, welcome aboard

SKIBUMM
07-25-2014, 01:46 PM
:):):):):):)

Wolf
07-25-2014, 01:50 PM
So far I only have one pic...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like you have a good boat to start with. You can get a small amount of gel coat to cover the chip until you get to fixing it correctly.

drschemel
07-25-2014, 06:06 PM
You can get a small gel kit that is easy to use here: http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=F553902K&type=4&eq=&desc=F553902K&key=it
That trailer is vintage! Some people on here have had good ideas to upgrade it so it is safer and easier to load.
Gauges and lights are pretty straight forward so that should not be a big deal. The carpet will make a big difference. Goo luck. Great boat!

Towboatcapt
07-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Welcome to TT, lots of good information on this site, just ask questions and post pictures, you can almost always get the answer!

Wolf
07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
The trailer is a major pain...I have never struggled so much to get a boat on a trailer...will learn.

Cloaked
07-25-2014, 09:26 PM
The trailer is a major pain...I have never struggled so much to get a boat on a trailer...will learn.There is a way. I have had several of these era trailers. Easy once you get the right combination. Depth of the trailer is the most important (not too deep). You don't want to float the boat, but drive off / drive on. Patience. Too deep will float the back of the boat, thus causing the bow eye (lowering) to drag across the front bunk. Patience... Same going back on....

Keep the trailer pan. They are almost non-existent.

SKIBUMM
07-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Nice boat and welcome

tommurtha
07-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Hey I know that boat!!

Wolf
07-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Had it out again last night....just can't seem to get it to idle once hot. It wants to stall when in neutral, especially when coming out of reverse. Time to show the carb some love :). On the up side...getting better with the old school trailer. It really does take some commitment.

cruiser
07-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Welcome, Nice Boat. Pics, Pics, Pics. Fixing idle problems can be time consuming, stay with it, a lot of help here.

aquaman
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Hmmm.......you bought it for your daughter ?

You may be a Wolf. :)

Looks like a nice boat from the ONE pic you posted.

Welcome to TT.

tommurtha
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
wolf have you adjusted the idle cable? The boat always idled higher than my buddy's Supreme. Have you verified the float is not too high causing a dripping of gas. ie flooding?. Another way to lower the normal engine idle would be to slightly retard the timing, easy to do just loosen and turn the distributor. I hadn't not checked timing in years. You could retard the engine and then increase the idle using the idle adjustment cable

Livin' in the 80s
07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Welcome Aboard! I was new to restorations on these older MC's last year too!...actually still considered a newbie! You can check my "Albums" for detailed info and pics on carpet install, which I did completely myself, and the upholstery, which I sent out to a shop. I also got into my guages a bit, but mine being an '86 will be a bit different than yours, PM me if you have any direct questions on carpet and upholstery....my time online is hit and miss.

I Like your graphics/colors, will watch for updates. We all love to see pics, post them often!

Keep practicing with the trailer, nice to have the original. Its a bit intimidating driving it on, but now after a couple of seasons, I am pretty comfortable with mine.:D Best of luck!

Wolf
07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info...I'm a little bit overwhelmed by these Holley carbs...as I said, I come from the motorcycle racing world, seems our carbs were much simpler...:) I am going to play with it again tonight and yes, I will take pictures.
The boat really doesn't need a full resto...the floor is pretty good (one spot is a little soft, but not bad - easy to replace), I am thinking the stringers should be good enough...I keep inspection as I have time and don't see any glaring issues...then again, I haven't drilled any holes either. I'd like to do the carpet and upholstery, and the graphics kit before I actually giver her the keys.

jwithers7
08-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Well when you start on the trailer, a look into the stringers of the boat may be a good idea, to my knowledge MC did not put fiberglass until 1983. Great looking boat though!!

WilliM1940
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Very nice boat for its age. I would be awfully suspect of the stringers before a complete rebuild of the interior though. On the plus side, Mastercraft seemed to have better luck with wood construction vs Correct Craft where rot is expected by boats not even as old as this.

Haynes made a pretty good Holley Tech manual, it is worth getting. The floats in the marine version are a type of solid foam, which is attacked by ethanol, and they become saturated. No external float adjustment on the marine carb means constant removal of the bowls to eliminate idle dripping before the proper height is set. You cannot use the numbers for the float set on the Holley site, I think due to the engine angle. In any case they were not right. With soaked floats, you will never get it right. The ethanol also attacks the carb bowl gaskets after a while changing their consistency to garbage. Anyways, a rebuild kit plus floats will save you a lot of headache. The bowl screws were replaced with bolts also, and come in handy. Get to know Skidim, as they have all this stuff. Beyond that the only problem with the Holley is the electric choke. This causes warm start problems if not set with say a quarter inch air gap when closed. When set up right, the 4160 is really decent and performs well.

Theomedic
08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
I had a 78, same color as yours I just sold this spring. Let me know if you need any help. Always post pics of any issues. This forum is great and very helpful!