PDA

View Full Version : earl schieb paint jobs

rodltg2
12-05-2005, 01:57 PM
i bought my gilrfirend a new ( used ) car and i need to dump her old piece of crap. its a red 96 acura integra and the paint is completely oxidized and faded. its only worth about 3000-3500.the inside of the car is near perfect so if i can get the outside looking good i can probably get more money out of it. i tried rubbing compound and then a wax and it did nothing. the paint is too far gone. i can get it painted at earl's for 299. do guys think its worth it ? how bad are those cheap paint jobs?

Mag_Red
12-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Well if I said I could get a Granite counter top for my kitchen for $500 installed what would you say??? :D I didn't know Earl was national.

Ric
12-05-2005, 02:08 PM
threadjack
Just got thru arguing with an adjuster over a fix on g/f's car
anybody here in the biz?
What are the hotbutton words in the insurance and auto body repair biz to get a vehicle repaired properly???

rodltg2
12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
sure i can do it for you for 500 mag. we'll just use a little more silicone and caulk :D . i know , you get what you pay for. im just wondering if its going to be worse than it already is?

ski_king
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
When I was looking for a car in that price range shiney paint didnt matter to me. If I saw a recent "Earl" job on it, I would wonder what it was covering up.

Ric, Sorry, cant help. I have been lucky. The last 2 times I dealt with an adjuster I came out ahead.
Last time I got double what the best shop in town fixed it for.

pilot02
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
i bought my gilrfirend a new ( used ) car and i need to dump her old piece of crap. its a red 96 acura integra and the paint is completely oxidized and faded. its only worth about 3000-3500.the inside of the car is near perfect so if i can get the outside looking good i can probably get more money out of it. i tried rubbing compound and then a wax and it did nothing. the paint is too far gone. i can get it painted at earl's for 299. do guys think its worth it ? how bad are those cheap paint jobs?

You get what you pay for. Poor taping, paint on the gaskets etc. I think you'd be better off letting someone else deal with the paint issues and sell them a solid car.

Jeremy79's in the biz....

rodltg2
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
trust me there is alot to cover up... i may need some bondo too.

Ric
12-05-2005, 02:19 PM
When I was looking for a car in that price range shiney paint didnt matter to me. If I saw a recent "Earl" job on it, I would wonder what it was covering up.

Ric, Sorry, cant help. I have been lucky. The last 2 times I dealt with an adjuster I came out ahead.
Last time I got double what the best shop in town fixed it for.

I'm finding these guys blaming me for choosing a shop and the shop blaming the adjusters for not allowing items to be replaced.

I'm an idiot, it's stamped right here across my forehead.

ski_king
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
You may be an idiot, but anybody that has this under their carport is my hero.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/dosmcs.jpg

Rod, how about having a local vo-tech shop do it. They typically do it for price of materials and quality may be better.

Cloaked
12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I saw a guy spray paint a station wagon. Took 14 cans but it looked good...

NOT! :noface: :noface:

rodltg2
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Rod, how about having a local vo-tech shop do it. They typically do it for price of materials and quality may be better.

what is a vo-tech shop? excuse my ignorance.

RackAtak
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
what is a vo-tech shop? excuse my ignorance.
That would be the Paint and Body program at a local high school or community college.

Ric
12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
You may be an idiot, but anybody that has this under their carport is my hero.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/dosmcs.jpg

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BriEOD
12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
threadjack
anybody here in the biz?
What are the hotbutton words in the insurance and auto body repair biz to get a vehicle repaired properly???
"LITIGATION" :D

bcampbe7
12-05-2005, 03:00 PM
threadjack
anybody here in the biz?

Not one word but...

"I would like to cancel my service! :moon: "
Doing this :moon: really gets them shaking. Try it.

Leroy
12-05-2005, 03:03 PM
PM Jeremy and see what he thinks!

BriEOD
12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Just tell em' you know ETS and the Godfather "P-daddy." So either you'll sue em' or ayy-oh break their legs.

bcampbe7
12-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Just tell em' you know ETS and the Godfather "P-daddy." So either you'll sue em' or ayy-oh break their legs.
:uglyhamme

PendO
12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

When I sold my wifes civic (deathtrap) I put on like 5 or 6 coats of that colored wax :) Bought a variable speed buffer (so I can turn it slow and use it on the boat) ... the paint looked awesome ... never saw it after it rained.

I think a cheap/bad paint job woud do more to devalue it ... just sell it to some "tuner" kid and he will be repainting it anyway.

east tx skier
12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Ric, certain sections of the Texas Insurance Code "tie-in" to the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Tell them you forgot exactly which sections these were and ask your adjuster if he can remind you. ;)

Ric
12-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Ric, certain sections of the Texas Insurance Code "tie-in" to the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Tell them you forgot exactly which sections these were and ask your adjuster if he can remind you. ;)
Hey I like that idea, I may try that one this afternoon.

I was very close to Bri's godfather statements today!

Ric
12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Rodl I actually did choose this route 20 years ago and you have to stand wayyy back in order for the work to look good (mainly because the painter stands wayyyy back when he sprays!!) paint is thin but shiny
There is one difference, I did alot of sanding and a few repairs prior to the earl scheib job so your results may vary

rodltg2
12-05-2005, 04:01 PM
i think if i spend too much time waxing, im better off just payng the 299 to save my time. i hoping to sell it to some high school kid who will want to turn it all fast and furious.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Bring it to a detail shop get a proposal to bring back the luster, and then make a desicion from there. I'd bet they could bring it back to life enough to help you unload it.

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
well i took the car to earl schieb. they are pretty honest about there low quality. the guy told me it wont look great but it will look alright. thats good enoguh for me. i just want to sell the car and in its current condition it was just too ugly. i get it back today ( which scares me since i took it in yesterday ) so well see. its only $300 so no big deal.

ski_king
01-12-2006, 01:56 PM
photo please

milkmania
01-12-2006, 02:24 PM
well i took the car to earl schieb. they are pretty honest about there low quality. the guy told me it wont look great but it will look alright. thats good enoguh for me. i just want to sell the car and in its current condition it was just too ugly. i get it back today ( which scares me since i took it in yesterday ) so well see. its only $300 so no big deal.

just don't get it wet:purplaugh

no, seriously though...
I know nothng about their paint jobs

AirJunky
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
A buddy of mine bought a 93 Geo Storm for $25...... his baby sister turned 16 yrs old in November so he figured it would be a great first car for her. He did a tune-up, installed a new clutch, new seat covers, new carpet, new stereo, & a few little interior pieces from the junkyard. Then bought a DA sander at Harbor Freight for $30 & spent one day sanding & doing some light bodywork. Then a $300 black paint job at Maaco & some cutesy pink & purple diecut graphics........the car looks pretty damn good, especially for a 16 yr olds first car. And especially since he's got less than a grand & about 3 days work in it!!

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
just don't get it wet:purplaugh

no, seriously though...
I know nothng about their paint jobs

thats funny you say that because i am worried to drive it home today in the rain. its going straight to the garage and ill sell it in there!

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
photo please

ill be picking up the car shortly and post some pics.

lakes Rick
01-12-2006, 06:44 PM
i bought my gilrfirend a new ( used ) car

How do you ever expect her to learn the value of a dollar??

I guess its true, " We all pay for it one way or another".....

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
How do you ever expect her to learn the value of a dollar??

I guess its true, " We all pay for it one way or another".....

true, but the car is / was too beat up and i wanted her to drive something nicer.

here are some pics of the earl paint job. i am actually impressed. it better than i thought. i wish i had some before pics so you could have seen how bad it was.

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
next one...............................

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 07:24 PM
last one.....

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Turned out pretty nice.....'

erkoehler
01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
You gotta get some racer rims for it now 8p

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 07:37 PM
thats it , im not spending anymore dough on this thing.

BriEOD
01-12-2006, 07:43 PM
That turned out pretty good Rod.

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
thanks , im actually very surprised.

mitch
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Rod, That came out great!

ski_king
01-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Looks great, but you better still keep it out of the rain.

milkmania
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
whoo hoo......only 158 miles from me:steering:

milkmania
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I just love the truck they used to display their bedliner coatings:rolleyes:

http://www.carpainting.com/pdf/bedliner.pdf

redmike
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
truck, couldn't get past that cool banshee in the back!