PDA

View Full Version : '03 X9

1fst97gt
07-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Looking at this boat this up coming weekend.

Seller is asking roughly $30k. As of now, beofre seenig it in person, i know that the vinyls is beginning to separate (see pics) and that the outdrive seal needs repacking.

What he says about the boat:
350 MCX with 350 HP, wakeboard tower w/speakers, board racks, bimini top, mirror, 2 ballasts, full instrumentation, tilt steering, flip-up bolster driver's seat, Clarion AM/FM CD Sirius ready stereo, glove box, carpet, cup holders, tons of storage, full boat cover, and a single axle trailer w/folding tongue and matching spare. This boat has 462 hours.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/9605375A-BC12-4553-B53C-38C14492A4AA.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/6FA453D8-C2F6-42E2-9038-B95F0E5819A3.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/A673FC2F-23E8-4434-A85D-39A702EA352F.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/22435614-501C-4603-8A41-01974BD4F4EF.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/7DFE57F0-E0E6-4504-8389-319C35AB3CCA.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/14A9205C-C122-4055-BECF-F0E2456F019F.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/65F1E5A4-F7CB-4422-9ED4-6675047E6FA7.jpg

Theomedic
07-23-2014, 02:00 PM
A dealer by me had two 2003 X9's for sale this spring both had under 400 hours with similar options. The dealer put all brand new upholstery in one of them and they were asking $33K. The other 2003 X9 the dealer wanted $31,500. Those are dealer prices in March, and he offered a 1 month warranty. Both boats have been sold but I'm not sure how much they sold for.

EarlyriserX9
07-23-2014, 02:03 PM
I think it looks like a nice clean boat in great condition. I had one almost identical to it, but in med blue. I still miss that boat. $30k seems like a fair price to me.

1fst97gt
07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
I've looked up NADA on this boat with all options listed, with it being in the range of $24-28k..... How much or rather how close does NADA really get to most selling prices?

markmcfarland
07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I would think 30 is a little high. With seats starting to go I would think 25ish. At least around here.

1fst97gt
07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I would think 30 is a little high. With seats starting to go I would think 25ish. At least around here.

You and I are definitely on the same page! That's about exactly where I was thinking also, especially given its listed at almost $3k of average retail...

Maybe he won't be to proud and negotiate down.

46Chief
07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Overpriced by about 8k nothing special about the stereo the mcx engine is a bonus. I think a fair price would be about 22k interior ant cheap. I'd deduct 6k for that alone.

Stritt
07-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Overpriced by about 8k nothing special about the stereo the mcx engine is a bonus. I think a fair price would be about 22k interior ant cheap. I'd deduct 6k for that alone.

Agree. Seller won't like it, maybe present an interior quote to owner and negotiate from there...

1fst97gt
07-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Agree. Seller won't like it, maybe present an interior quote to owner and negotiate from there...

Both great feedback and suggestions. Hopefully he doesn't take it like a slap in the face, but I definitely plan to use the interior to my advantage. I know I have timing and the part of the season we are in against me, but i dont mind waiting if it comes down to it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

JMLVMI
07-24-2014, 05:55 PM
We're already on the downslope of the season, and I've seen that boat on CL for a while now...I'd go in at $22-24k and start there. Interior is at least $2500.

zsqure
07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Nice boat but if he is stuck on 30k of be looking at a 214 for a little more.

1fst97gt
07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
We're already on the downslope of the season, and I've seen that boat on CL for a while now...I'd go in at $22-24k and start there. Interior is at least $2500.

Yeah, it's going on 2-3 months of being on CL. Hope that isn't a bad sign that he isnt coming off the price any.

peason
07-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I paid $3200 locally for my 2002-209 interior last summer. Makes the boat look new. They did a great job. I think $25,000-26,000 is fair.

1fst97gt
07-24-2014, 08:26 PM
I'll keep you guys updated after my viewing and sea trial on Saturday. Fingers crossed its nice and he's negotiable!

02ProstarSammyD
07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I sold my 02 with a lot of goodies for around 25k and had a new viper interior in it within the NC market. With that said it appears to be a pretty clean boat. If it just has a lil bit of seperation on 1 or 2 seats I wouldn't stress it as much. You could be a few years from a new interior. I wouldn't assume that hes not flexible on pricing because its been up for 2 or 3 months. If hes just selling on craigslist hes limited his market, trying to sell a DD, and its after the 4th. Ive always priced items much higher on craigslist due to the CL factor of someone offering 20% less right off the bat.

I would say 23-24ish would be a fair price for both parties if the boat is really clean and the seperation issues are limited. 22k would be a great deal for you overall........25+ would be a great deal for him.

See its in mint hill. If you like it get Charlotte MC to check it out after. Looking at the actual ad with better pictures the vinyl appears to be in good shape minus like 1 skin. I'd say you have a few more years out of that interior.

CC2MC
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
I Agree^^^^.

1fst97gt
07-25-2014, 11:47 AM
I sold my 02 with a lot of goodies for around 25k and had a new viper interior in it within the NC market. With that said it appears to be a pretty clean boat. If it just has a lil bit of seperation on 1 or 2 seats I wouldn't stress it as much. You could be a few years from a new interior. I wouldn't assume that hes not flexible on pricing because its been up for 2 or 3 months. If hes just selling on craigslist hes limited his market, trying to sell a DD, and its after the 4th. Ive always priced items much higher on craigslist due to the CL factor of someone offering 20% less right off the bat.

I would say 23-24ish would be a fair price for both parties if the boat is really clean and the seperation issues are limited. 22k would be a great deal for you overall........25+ would be a great deal for him.

See its in mint hill. If you like it get Charlotte MC to check it out after. Looking at the actual ad with better pictures the vinyl appears to be in good shape minus like 1 skin. I'd say you have a few more years out of that interior.

Great feedback! I appreciate knowing someone within the area/market of NC that sold something similar. The initial pictures in the CL post as you mentioned don't look bad at all. The picture of the vinyl separation that i posted is the only picture he has sent me of the issue outside of the CL ad.

I plan to take a few pictures if i like the boat overall tomorrow. I'll post them up and hopefully get a little more feedback from you guys on the overall condition of the boat and vinyl before i venture into any type of negotiations/offers.

EarlyriserX9
07-25-2014, 11:57 AM
FYI I am in Charlotte and sold my 03' for $32k last year. Tandem axle trailer, mint condition (major MCOCD), top notch sound system, but pretty much the same boat. If you can get it in the $25k range you got yourself a killer deal IMHO. I hope it works out for you!

02ProstarSammyD
07-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Only thing I'll say is be up front with the guy if you have a number in mind before you go lake testing and using up alot of his time. God knows I spent more times spending 2 hours running around for a lake test to hear "I've got 20 to spend".

Early I hear ya man. Might have something to do with the Charlotte area too. I got my x9 for a steal and returned the favor to someone but most of the time they pop up in raleigh they are in the 22-28 range.

texasjet
07-25-2014, 04:15 PM
One thing I have been told is that NADA does not include the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1fst97gt
07-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Only thing I'll say is be up front with the guy if you have a number in mind before you go lake testing and using up alot of his time. God knows I spent more times spending 2 hours running around for a lake test to hear "I've got 20 to spend".

Early I hear ya man. Might have something to do with the Charlotte area too. I got my x9 for a steal and returned the favor to someone but most of the time they pop up in raleigh they are in the 22-28 range.

Absolutely! Honestly is key as a buyer and seller! I don't want to waste his time and more than I want to waste my own! More great advice!
One thing I have been told is that NADA does not include the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is an option to include a trailer, along with trailer options. I've included this into the NADA value i listed.

1fst97gt
07-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok guys, went and looked at the boat today and here is what I took from it. Looks to be a decently maintained, but not miticulously maintained boat overall. Several scrapes and scaring of the hull mainly on the decal sections and rub rails from docks etc... (see pics).

The shaft seal as mentioned in the first post definitely needs repacked, as the engine compartment was probably filled with 3 in of water within 30 mins. Vinyl is not as bad as I was expecting, with main "problem areas" being on the transom and rear seat bottom from people in and out of rear of boat. Some heavy fading on the stitched emblems (see pics) but still in nice shape otherwise.

Tower seems to be in decent shape, but was concern with wiring of speakers, the wires were exposed across the top beam for the tower speakers and the wires were exposed again with somentype of connection point at the towers pivot point (see pics), is this normal?

Also, the trailer has some trouble areas as well, lights missing on one side and broken fender on other.

With all this being said and new pictures to show, what do you guys think price wise now?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/BDF2ACCA-3A65-4553-B1A4-FA9207D9931E.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/0C64E058-BD36-4366-8A27-61463D9F5DA0.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/23E5A0B9-33A1-4B29-8379-39F1D30AD590.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/9236C15C-C1F7-489F-9458-1BADFC2EBEAC.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/32AD0EDA-8F02-4AF5-89D3-1825CE6BAC13.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/7EB4D59F-C13B-4156-A8C7-D03E1E400598.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/87E476EA-326B-4B0C-B41F-E6C1A154975B.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/1fst97gt/DC19B7CA-0A66-4B5B-946E-42DE3B336773.jpg

zsqure
07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Screams rode hard and put away wet. Some of that rub rail and scuff damage can be cleaned up, maybe not the decal. If the hull is cloudy with oxidation, it can be brought back to life. Fenders look like they can be buffed out, the damage repair will set you back a few hundred. Now that the shaft seal needs repacking you can put in an OJ dripless. I can't remember, was the hull hooked in 2003? Did you notice if it had a hook in it? You have a $2500 tower on a $22K boat, so $24500 is where I would be at. This has a big ski wake, nothing like the smooth wake of a 190, 197, or 214.

Rossterman
07-27-2014, 09:43 AM
The tower wiring picture is hard to see so you may want to share a few more pics or describe it a little better in order for folks to be able to comment. On ours, the wiring is exposed coming out of the top tower structure and goes into the bottom bracket. This allows to to flex and move when lowering the tower. It comes out at the front foot of the tower and goes into the hull without a connector. I've seen some that have a connector there but unless you have a need to remove the tower, I don't see the point or value.

Boat wise it's not bad shape but far from MCOD maintained or operated. Upholstry wise there wasn't much that could be done to prevent the damage you see however, it's just the nature of the vinyl used those years. Comparison wise our 2001 205V is in better shape overall and beginning to get these little tears in the seat bases. I've had one piece fixed but will be looking at having to do the interior sooner rather than later. So that plus other damage noted would need to be deducted from the price and considered as an added expense you will have to fork out later. Probably ~$6k in costs to fix interior, fender, and dock rash if you took it to viper and shops to do all the work. Maybe $4k if you did some DIY?

I don't know relative value of other hulls as much as I do the 205V but it sounds like it's priced pretty high and just average maintained As you already mentioned. Probably better deals out there or from folks on this site if patient. I know the fall will be approaching soon and more will come available as winter begins to set in and folks decide to sell.

Let us know how this comes out.

1fst97gt
07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
The wiring on the tower that I was speaking of is basically that, rather than the wiringncomingndirectly out of the tower at each speaker and connecting the wire(s) come out of a central hole near the nav light on top and then route to the speaker via laying on the top of the tower crossbars. The connections pictured in the last picture are at the flex point doing out of the down tube and into the lower bracket as mentioned. The concern I have is that there is probably a 12-16 inch lead of wire hanging, then of course the connectors for tower removal as mentioned earlier. This just didn't look like a very clean or maintained install, which was why I questioned if this is how it is factory?

Rossterman
07-27-2014, 12:31 PM
The wiring on the tower that I was speaking of is basically that, rather than the wiringncomingndirectly out of the tower at each speaker and connecting the wire(s) come out of a central hole near the nav light on top and then route to the speaker via laying on the top of the tower crossbars. The connections pictured in the last picture are at the flex point doing out of the down tube and into the lower bracket as mentioned. The concern I have is that there is probably a 12-16 inch lead of wire hanging, then of course the connectors for tower removal as mentioned earlier. This just didn't look like a very clean or maintained install, which was why I questioned if this is how it is factory?

OK that's a pretty clear picture. As to speaker routing, ours has 2 holes - each centered around each bank of speakers and a short length of wire (with weather cover over it) maybe 10" long going to the farthest speaker. The other leads are shorter. As you describe, the single opening isn't the cleanest way to do an install. My guess is that the tower was added after it left the factory and they either used an existing hole or wanted to do it quick so went this route. Some speakers actually hide the wire in the clamp.

If it's properly protected it's likely OK just not pretty.

FlyHighorDie
07-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I have the same year and model and mine was treated a little worse! I started a thread needing a little tlc. Once I got it cleaned up, it has been perfect. I would say it is a lot over priced. He needs to come down quite a bit. I would expect he priced it a what a dealer would.
Make sure to check the brakes if it has them.
I made the deal on my boat and drove off and after a mile I did another inspection only to find out my hubs were hotter than you not what. The brakes weren't releasing.
My lights were wired the same on the tower, a little annoying.
Mine didn't have sacs or a cover but that is a small price.
Perfect Pass?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53412

1fst97gt
07-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I have the same year and model and mine was treated a little worse! I started a thread needing a little tlc. Once I got it cleaned up, it has been perfect. I would say it is a lot over priced. He needs to come down quite a bit. I would expect he priced it a what a dealer would.
Make sure to check the brakes if it has them.
I made the deal on my boat and drove off and after a mile I did another inspection only to find out my hubs were hotter than you not what. The brakes weren't releasing.
My lights were wired the same on the tower, a little annoying.
Mine didn't have sacs or a cover but that is a small price.
Perfect Pass?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53412

WOW! yes yours looked to be a far worse shape than this one for sure! I don't want to give the full impression that this thing is turd or need major restoration, however I do feel that it has its imperfections and not the meticulous upkeep that i feel it deserves.

One thing I forgot to mention is the current owner said that most of the rub rail marks on the side came from the previous owner, with him basically just buying and enjoying the boat to pull around his two kids. The current owner was very nice and as informative as he could be with what he could explain and knew. He didn't come off as a "hands on" kind of guy though, meaning he would be the first to allow a dealer do work and not a detailing kind of guy.

I feel a good cleaning and buffing of the outside will rejuvenate this boat back to its glory! HAHA

Mechanically it was very sound and stable, steering was very responsive, throttle easily, into gear without any noise or heavy engagement. However i will mention that it did make a "whine" when in reverse, is this typical?

EarlyriserX9
07-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes the whine in reverse is normal.

CruisinGA
07-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Looks like your average to above average boat to me!

Got to remember that the MCOCD exhibited on this site is not so much the norm!

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that boat if the price was right.

markmcfarland
07-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Looks like your average to above average boat to me!

Got to remember that the MCOCD exhibited on this site is not so much the norm!

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that boat if the price was right.

I had an 03 x2. Even with mcocd the vinyl in 03s will look like that. I wiped mine down after each use pulled them out if they were wet and applied 303 once month and mine were starting to split. Still think 30 is too high.

EarlyriserX9
07-28-2014, 09:07 AM
After seeing pics, I have to agree. 30 is too high. I'd buy it for $24-25 all day long though

02ProstarSammyD
07-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Screams rode hard and put away wet. Some of that rub rail and scuff damage can be cleaned up, maybe not the decal. If the hull is cloudy with oxidation, it can be brought back to life. Fenders look like they can be buffed out, the damage repair will set you back a few hundred. Now that the shaft seal needs repacking you can put in an OJ dripless. I can't remember, was the hull hooked in 2003? Did you notice if it had a hook in it? You have a $2500 tower on a $22K boat, so $24500 is where I would be at. This has a big ski wake, nothing like the smooth wake of a 190, 197, or 214.

Not sure I'm seeing the abuse you are. I think the cloudiness you see is just the crap cloudy weather we've had here. Some of the side pictures show plenty of shine. Regards alil oxidation remover can get anything minor out. The OJ dripless is like 150 if I remember right.

There is a good point brought up here though. Are you boarding or skiing?

After seeing pics, I have to agree. 30 is too high. I'd buy it for $24-25 all day long though

I agree somewhere around there. I have severe mcocd as far as expecting a boat to be clean but this doesn't look bad at all. After all it is an 11 year old boat. My guess would be that it sat on a lift and the trailer just sat in the sun 24-7 in a yard. Most of the trailer can be brought back to bright I would think. My old boats trailer looked very close to that level and some cleaning/wax made it look brand new.

Mechanically it was very sound and stable, steering was very responsive, throttle easily, into gear without any noise or heavy engagement. However i will mention that it did make a "whine" when in reverse, is this typical?

You just hit on the most important part of the boat. If it runs well great. Also nothing wrong with someone who isn't hands on. I'd rather buy from someone who takes it to a dealer than a jackleg who thinks he knows more than he does.

1fst97gt
07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Not sure I'm seeing the abuse you are. I think the cloudiness you see is just the crap cloudy weather we've had here. Some of the side pictures show plenty of shine. Regards alil oxidation remover can get anything minor out. The OJ dripless is like 150 if I remember right.

There is a good point brought up here though. Are you boarding or skiing?

I agree somewhere around there. I have severe mcocd as far as expecting a boat to be clean but this doesn't look bad at all. After all it is an 11 year old boat. My guess would be that it sat on a lift and the trailer just sat in the sun 24-7 in a yard. Most of the trailer can be brought back to bright I would think. My old boats trailer looked very close to that level and some cleaning/wax made it look brand new.

You just hit on the most important part of the boat. If it runs well great. Also nothing wrong with someone who isn't hands on. I'd rather buy from someone who takes it to a dealer than a jackleg who thinks he knows more than he does.

Plan on doing a bit of both boarding and skiing, family and friends do both of which none of us are by any means close to professionals! HAHA That is why this crossover style boat is appealing. Not expecting the "best" of either, but something that is usable and acceptable at both and the potential for surf as well with something as easy as added ballast if needed.

You are right that outside of the decal scuffs and scrapes, the majority of the gelcoat was shiny other than those small parts at the transom. The boat has not been dry stored or garaged by the current owner, simply because he doesn't have the space for it. So both the boat and trailer have sat outside in the driveway for the last 4 years covered (boat) when not in use.

With him being hands off, i was more touching on the fact that i couldn't get a lot of info about usage, condition etc... on a few things, as he simply just wasn't informed or have any knowledge from being involved etc... I have no problem with dealer maintenance etc either, especially given that the boat just had a full tune up and winterization by Charlotte ski boats this past fall, which costed him some $$$.

Ive put in an offer based off of my personal opinions and the help everyone has provided me, keep your fingers crossed i can become another member of the MC family! :toast:

Ironhorse
07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Good luck. It looks like a great boat that just needs a little elbow grease.

JMLVMI
07-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Good luck! Where in NC are you located?

Drake2785
07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Seems high to me given I just sold a 05 X2 for 36,200 that was decked out with anything you could want & all new Upholstry. Just my 2cents though..... GLWP

1fst97gt
07-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Good luck! Where in NC are you located?

In W-S, but have family/place to stay at/around Lake Norman, so i venture there frequently.

1fst97gt
07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Initial offer, was declined..... He did come off the price some as a counter offer, but is still very close to being outside of the high end NADA value. Will try with one more counter offer, though he said he is not pushed or needing to sale. Will keep you updated!

02ProstarSammyD
07-29-2014, 08:14 AM
NADA is a meaningless number. What was the counter? Also had a guy shoot you a message on a clean 205. if you are interested in it let me know. Hes local to me and I could check it out.

1fst97gt
07-29-2014, 08:19 AM
NADA is a meaningless number. What was the counter? Also had a guy shoot you a message on a clean 205. if you are interested in it let me know. Hes local to me and I could check it out.

He's stuck at $27500, won't budge from there. Said he would keep it rather than going any lower.

No messages yet, but I'll keep my eye out. Thanks!

ttu
07-29-2014, 08:47 AM
He's stuck at $27500, won't budge from there. Said he would keep it rather than going any lower.

No messages yet, but I'll keep my eye out. Thanks!

boy there are not many x9's out there for sale. heck i looked for 20 min and finally found 1.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/4586056334.html

sweet looking but priced high.

02ProstarSammyD
07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
boy there are not many x9's out there for sale. heck i looked for 20 min and finally found 1.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/4586056334.html

sweet looking but priced high.

There never are many out there. When I sold mine I found like 4 in the country for sale on basic searches. My issue with these high prices is what are you buying? Don't get me wrong a 209/x9 is a good boat. Its roomy for a direct drive. I just bought an x2 and you couldn't pay me to go back to my 209. Maybe I missed it but still haven't seen if you are planning on wakeboarding, skiing, etc and on what level.

For 28k an x9 becomes a questionable choice unless you are below average at everything but want to do anything.

1fst97gt
07-29-2014, 10:13 AM
There never are many out there. When I sold mine I found like 4 in the country for sale on basic searches. My issue with these high prices is what are you buying? Don't get me wrong a 209/x9 is a good boat. Its roomy for a direct drive. I just bought an x2 and you couldn't pay me to go back to my 209. Maybe I missed it but still haven't seen if you are planning on wakeboarding, skiing, etc and on what level.

For 28k an x9 becomes a questionable choice unless you are below average at everything but want to do anything.

I mentioned it a few post back, but i would like to do a little of everything.

Me personally, im an above average on skis and more of average on wakeboard (plan to get much better with this type of boat). I have never had a chance or tried surfing, but would also like to try that. I have many friends an family that will be on the boat that all have different levels of skill at all of the before mentioned as well.

Im not stuck on getting a x-9, it was just the first boat i found close that appealed to me. Any suggestions or other models is fine, this will be my first inboard boat, so im not as familiar with their differences in wakes for various activities.

h2oski89
07-29-2014, 10:57 AM
I went from a pure slalom boat that did only that to a 2006 X9 last summer. I needed a boat that did a little of everything. Also, I wanted to get my family out on the boat vs them sitting back on the dock b/c we didn't have any space in the slalom boat. Thus far, I footed long line with 9 people in the boat (not recommended but everyone wanted to see me), we got additional ballast from the stock and surf with it, wake boarded, tubed (yes tubed, the kids like to have tubing wars with 3 tubes at once), the only thing I haven't done yet is kneeboard behind it. I've taken it down to 28 off on slalom and the wake improves when you get passed the hump, hold your form and you'll slice right through the wake. I also limit the number of people in the boat when I slalom. I miss my slalom boat but getting everyone out is worth the trade for me. For instance, my brother-in-law surfed over the 4th of July, this was the first time he got in the water in 3 years, my sister-in-law same thing first time in water in 10 years. Neither of them liked skiing but when they saw the surfing they had their vests on before I could say anything.

I looked at several other boats/models/brands and I knew I wanted a newer boat, I wanted a direct drive, and needed space to take out 5-10 people regularly. I really liked the 205's but wanted a newer boat, the 197's didn't have enough room and the X9 offered the things that were important to me, the X14's were about 15-25K outside of my price range and at the end of the day it comes down to what you want out of the boat!

Previous owner of my X9 had serious MCOD and so we were meant to be together! I purchased a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com and it sits on a covered lift so every weekend when I uncover it, it is as pristine as when I put it away! I vacuum, soak up any water from the carpet and bilge before I cover it up. When I uncover it, I usually hit the seats with a quick coat of 303!

Good Luck, once you have an inboard you will be hooked, the quality of these boats is incredible.

1fst97gt
07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
I went from a pure slalom boat that did only that to a 2006 X9 last summer. I needed a boat that did a little of everything. Also, I wanted to get my family out on the boat vs them sitting back on the dock b/c we didn't have any space in the slalom boat. Thus far, I footed long line with 9 people in the boat (not recommended but everyone wanted to see me), we got additional ballast from the stock and surf with it, wake boarded, tubed (yes tubed, the kids like to have tubing wars with 3 tubes at once), the only thing I haven't done yet is kneeboard behind it. I've taken it down to 28 off on slalom and the wake improves when you get passed the hump, hold your form and you'll slice right through the wake. I also limit the number of people in the boat when I slalom. I miss my slalom boat but getting everyone out is worth the trade for me. For instance, my brother-in-law surfed over the 4th of July, this was the first time he got in the water in 3 years, my sister-in-law same thing first time in water in 10 years. Neither of them liked skiing but when they saw the surfing they had their vests on before I could say anything.

I looked at several other boats/models/brands and I knew I wanted a newer boat, I wanted a direct drive, and needed space to take out 5-10 people regularly. I really liked the 205's but wanted a newer boat, the 197's didn't have enough room and the X9 offered the things that were important to me, the X14's were about 15-25K outside of my price range and at the end of the day it comes down to what you want out of the boat!

Previous owner of my X9 had serious MCOD and so we were meant to be together! I purchased a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com and it sits on a covered lift so every weekend when I uncover it, it is as pristine as when I put it away! I vacuum, soak up any water from the carpet and bilge before I cover it up. When I uncover it, I usually hit the seats with a quick coat of 303!

Good Luck, once you have an inboard you will be hooked, the quality of these boats is incredible.

Awesome background! You sound right along my lines and needs and hit on many of points i have about why the X9 or similar boat fits what i need. I know its not going to be the best at anything, but as long as i end up with something that is at least capable and even "good" at everything, i will be happy!

02ProstarSammyD
07-29-2014, 12:40 PM
All that is very true but I did find the wakeboard wake to be soft and wide. The wake always looked great but just didn't have any pop. Go ahead and give up on any hope of any decent surfing. I guess I just like the 205 wake more overall for pretty much anything. Size and storage are an obvious win for the x9.

cbryan70
07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/4562197153.html

JMLVMI
07-30-2014, 02:45 AM
Local: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4579225402.html

1fst97gt
07-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Local: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4579225402.html

Nice boat for sure, might be a little over what I'm wanting to pay right now though.

ProTour X9
07-30-2014, 06:25 PM
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4590908882.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4545313608.html

kylegansel
07-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Offer less. We own this boat and the quality or lack there of for 2003 isn't good. Most of our seats have been replaced due to the cheap vinyl that was used. Make sure you look at that hull and how everything is mounted. I've had to fix so many items on our boat.

markmcfarland
07-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Offer less. We own this boat and the quality or lack there of for 2003 isn't good. Most of our seats have been replaced due to the cheap vinyl that was used. Make sure you look at that hull and how everything is mounted. I've had to fix so many items on our boat.

I agree with you 100% on the vinyl. But I guess the rest must be hit or miss. I had an 03 x2 that I sold last august that never had a single problem. Trailer had brake lock up once but that was only thing mine ever saw the dealer for. I did my own pm. I was anal about cleaning and conditioning the seats but nothing could save the 03 vinyl. I heard that they may have done the stitching too tight blablabla.

CruisinGA
07-30-2014, 10:37 PM
01 vinyl on our boat.
Replaced rear seat bottom last year and just had first major sticking tear on a bow seat this year.
If you ask me, not bad for a 13 year old boat!

A failed battery cable and MDC are the only issues in 450 hrs!

markmcfarland
07-30-2014, 10:54 PM
I agree with you 100% on the vinyl. But I guess the rest must be hit or miss. I had an 03 x2 that I sold last august that never had a single problem. Trailer had brake lock up once but that was only thing mine ever saw the dealer for. I did my own pm. I was anal about cleaning and conditioning the seats but nothing could save the 03 vinyl. I heard that they may have done the stitching too tight blablabla.

750 hours

Voice of Reason
08-11-2014, 03:41 PM
check the classifieds, I just listed an 06 X-9 moments ago, its red and very clean, and has 400 hours on it

Link w/ photos:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4613609601.html

kurzski
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=63313

make me an offer. no issues with any interior or mechanical. Great engine upgrade also.

EarlyriserX9
08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Hi 1fst97gt,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for an x9, but I've passed by this one a few times in the last week; plus I see you are in NC as well. I don't have any connection to the boat and don't have any info, but it looked like a nice boat driving by. The for sale sign said $26,000 and it looked pretty clean. http://www.huntleymarine.com/showroom/pre-owned-showroom/2004-mastercraft-x9/
If you are serious about it, I'm always willing to help out a fellow teamtalker. I could stop by and take a closer look for you.