PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Ballast Tank

DAB
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Any suggestions how to remove/replace a cracked ballast tank (port side) from a 2013 X25. The tank is split where the top connects to the side wall and the dealer says they can't get the tank out through hatch. Hard to believe the tank cracked on a boat that's 13 months old:(. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

snork
07-10-2014, 07:16 PM
could been cut by someone installing the carpet :(

brighac
07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't that be under warranty?

mzimme
07-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Sounds like another scored tank that broke when a bag was set on top of it. You the original buyer of the boat? Should be under warranty. Last guy this happened to had to send it to the factory and have them split the boat in two to fix it. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of this in the future...

DAB
07-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Yes I am original owner and I'm thinking the boat needs split to remove tank. We set a sac on it to surf and just upgraded to the Gen2 but the tank broke a week before it was installed. We're using the same size sac as MC is putting in the 2014 X25. I'm wondering if floor in the rear locker isn't strong enough to support the weight of the sac? Mastercraft denied the warranty claim because it's 13 months old.

Aric'sX15
07-11-2014, 12:52 AM
My boat was over 2 years old and they split mine in half fo free. I also had the extended warranty.

Cain0725
07-11-2014, 03:32 AM
I run a added sacs on my surf side, no problems,, whats causing tanks to break? Should i stop using it?

bcd
07-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Just make sure you never have full added bags sitting on an empty hard tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

CantRepeat
07-11-2014, 07:40 AM
I run a added sacs on my surf side, no problems,, whats causing tanks to break? Should i stop using it?

Just make sure you never have full added bags sitting on an empty hard tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't think either of those things will cause a hard tank to split.

It seems there was a carpet installer at the factory that was using the hard tanks as a "cutting board" to cut the top carpet layer. The razor knife is scoring the tanks but not completely through them. Over time, they are splitting apart at that cut.

If enough of these surface I could see a service bulletin and a possible recall on them. This is clearly a manufacturing/installation issue that needs to be address.

DAB
07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
My boat was over 2 years old and they split mine in half fo free. I also had the extended warranty.
Did the factory split it or did the dealer? Wondering who has the ability to do it right. Removing the engine was even mentioned. Might be carpet installer but the crack appears to be where the top of the tank connects to the sidewall. Luckily I did buy a 5 yr extended warranty through the dealer.

mzimme
07-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Did the factory split it or did the dealer? Wondering who has the ability to do it right. Removing the engine was even mentioned. Might be carpet installer but the crack appears to be where the top of the tank connects to the sidewall. Luckily I did buy a 5 yr extended warranty through the dealer.

Regardless of why it happened, why are they denying a warranty claim for something 13 months into a 5 year warranty? :confused:

swatguy
07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Regardless of why it happened, why are they denying a warranty claim for something 13 months into a 5 year warranty? :confused:

I second that Especially with a documented history so far here of at least 3 on this site alone.

Aric'sX15
07-11-2014, 11:14 AM
The dealer warranty will cover it. And the dealer did it through one of their gelcoat vendors

DAB
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I second that Especially with a documented history so far here of at least 3 on this site alone.
MC is saying the warranty is only 12 months - this is coming from the dealer. I thought the 5 yr complete warranty started with the 2014 models. I'm new to team talk and didn't realize there might be a problem with these tanks. We've owned a couple I/O boats but this is the first inboard so the tank thing is new to us. Is the dealer warranty different from the MC warranty? Thx

CBRENT
07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
I thought the minimum warranty was 3 years then you could buy an extended for another 3 yrs. My 2012 is that way.

CantRepeat
07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
MC is saying the warranty is only 12 months - this is coming from the dealer. I thought the 5 yr complete warranty started with the 2014 models. I'm new to team talk and didn't realize there might be a problem with these tanks. We've owned a couple I/O boats but this is the first inboard so the tank thing is new to us. Is the dealer warranty different from the MC warranty? Thx

This isn't about a warranty issue. It's about some knot-head at the factory using the hard tanks to trim carpet during install and using a razor knife on the a plastic hard tank. I'd be driving to to the factory to stand on someone's desk over this kind of poor workmanship!!

blackhawk
07-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Has anyone tried repairing a cracked tank with a plastic welder? When my buddy was into painting motorcycles about 15 years ago, he used one all the time. He could weld an engine shroud or headlight fairing like nobody else. I think it would be worth a shot before splitting a boat in half. You really have nothing to lose, especially if you can borrow a welder.

http://www.eastwood.com/airless-plastic-welder-model-6.html

DAB
07-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Has anyone tried repairing a cracked tank with a plastic welder? When my buddy was into painting motorcycles about 15 years ago, he used one all the time. He could weld an engine shroud or headlight fairing like nobody else. I think it would be worth a shot before splitting a boat in half. You really have nothing to lose, especially if you can borrow a welder.

http://www.eastwood.com/airless-plastic-welder-model-6.html
I thought the same and asked dealer about that. He wasn't sure but said as they attempted to remove the tank (which they could not) there isn't much room back there. Said they couldn't even turn tank sideways to get a good look at crack and thought getting any tools in the tight space would be difficult. I going to try to move it around this weekend to see the crack better.