PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ivan?

Stritt
09-09-2004, 10:08 AM
What is going on this year? Charlie, Francis, Ivan.......Seems every 3rd named storm has its sight set on Fl this year. Evacuations have started for the Keys....Well, good news is there is still alot of time for this to move elsewhere. We definately do not need a Cat 5 down here.
Boat is still in garage, Francis brought the lake up and Ivan could make it go to the top of the sea-wall. Hang on!

MarkP
09-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Ouch!! You guys must have done something wrong

Good luck and hang on

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 10:20 AM
You guys deserve a reprieve on this one, for sure. Here's to hoping that thing somehow does a u-turn and just goes away.

bcampbe7
09-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Good luck 35th...

If you want, just evacuate up here to Tennessee. We will be heading to the lake this weekend and would be glad to give a pull!

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
It is unbelievable! I have never seen anything like this.

jimmer2880
09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Ouch! Keep your head down.

I'm keeping an eye on the Potomac River levels up here... I may have to pull my floating dock & 55' mobile home tonight from all the left-overs from Francis last night (6 inches of rain up river is not a good thing!)

It almost has me ready to throw in the towell for the season.

NeilM
09-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah, what's with 3 in a row? Good Luck!

Stritt
09-09-2004, 02:55 PM
From the sounds of things from Frances, nobody in the eastern US needs more rain. News coverage is pretty strange down here, seems the anchors want to crawl under their desk when they see the track of this one. Weather Channel is the best though, just the large cone area with no specifics. Heard the other day the probability for two major hurricanes within 3 weeks was 1 in 300,000. Statistically the odds are against three in row, but the NHC 11am map say's differently. I guess come late Sat. we will know for sure. I expect evacuations to begin in S. Fl starting tomorrow. I personally have been fortunate....very fortunate. Many others, have not. I can't imagine what the people are thinking that still have no power and a damged home are thinking when they hear about Ivan.

BCampe, funny you mention evacuating to Tn. Had I not had my father down in Fl last week, I would have packed up and headed to Dale Hollow.

Good news, is I have all the firewood I need for this "winter", if that is really what it is called in Fl.

For those that maynot have seen the pics on the other post, this was our labor day weekend. :eek:

T Scott
09-09-2004, 04:01 PM
35th- Are you ready for another action packed weekend in Florida? I can't believe this!! I'd still rather have Hurricanes vs. Tornadoes and earthquakes, at least I can prepare for them.

Hold On!!! It's gonna get windy!

T Scott
09-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I just received the latest projections on the storm.....

bret
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Let me see if I can get this USAF data...

bret
09-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Ivan is going to be one of the worst unless Cuba takes some of the winds down, from her few mountains there. It could be in the top 8 in strength from the time that records have been kept. Here is the latest:

Winds 160 gust 195 within 45 miles of center
Moving WNW at 14
14.9N
72.1 W

I tried to post the Air Force spread sheet but no go.

Stritt
09-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Tom, I like that chart! Here's another good one!

Smitty
09-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Just changed my vacation plans for the third time. We were suppose to leave for FL on Friday and stay in Vero Beach until next Tuesday. Since Vero is no longer on the map we have decided to spend the whole week in Orlando. Wait a minute, Ivan is heading right down the middle of the state. So we pushed it back a week to be on the safe side. If you live in Florida, your in my prayers.

Stritt
09-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Smitty, the path of this thing will change quite a bit. Current path is running the west coast just off Tampa. Probably a good move to change your plans though unless you want alot of rain on Monday and Tuesday. Keep your plans in Fl though, we need your $$ ;)

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Here you go http://www.hurricanehunters.com/

From Keesler AFB, Mississippi

jimmer2880
09-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Now there's a job I just don't ever want to have. That an being a EOD!:eek3:

ski_king
09-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Good news, is I have all the firewood I need for this "winter", if that is really what it is called in Fl.
:eek:

I understand Flordia now has just 2 seasons, hurricane season and non hurricane season.
Isnt winter in Flordia now know as non hurricane season?

MarkP
09-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Well then, COME ON WINTER!!:headbang: ..

OhioProstar
09-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Looks like Bradamerry better button down the MC, because Ivan is coming to Louisanna.

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Here some pics that the sister of a co-worker was involved with...
Bob & Tom were talking about this this morning. They were saying that as many as 6 planes can fly around inside the eye at once!

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I've got an eyewitness account of the very edge of Ivan from my mother who is just south of the watch zone in the Yucatan. They were left relatively unscathed. Just a lot of rain. They took a direct hit from Isabelle last year. Although they are pretty far inland, Isabelle did a lot of damage. Get out of the way of this thing if you can. I think Brad and Tim are far enough inland that they'll be alright. Of course, this is a really big storm.

rem_p
09-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Here in central alabama people are begining to panic....walmart and grocery stores are sold out of bread, batteries, water, all the usual stuff that people buy. I bought gas for my truck/ fourwheeler/ and chain saw...thats bout all i think we'll need...several years back when hurricane Opal came through this way we lost power for 9 days....hopefully we wont loose power for that long. we got charcoal and a deep freeze full of chicken, hamburger, steak and even some deer meat...maybe even get to smoke a hindquarter.... man i sware this is gonna be just like a big ole camping trip/ party... :banana:

only bad thing is i hear they are wanting to cancel the AUBURN vs. LSU game slotted for saturday...i guess we'll see hopefully hurricane irvan well pass us on bye

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
People do that here in Tennessee when snow is mentioned in the forecast.

rem_p
09-14-2004, 09:57 PM
oh if they ever mention a chance of snow anywhere in alabama...even if they say everything below huntsville will just receive rain, people still go do this for the chance of "weather"....im a country boy and i just have a hard time seeing how and why they do this :confused:

east tx skier
09-15-2004, 02:36 PM
When it snows in Texas or the roads freeze over, people immediately jump in there cars and drive around to prove to the rest of the world that they have no idea how to drive on that stuff.

JimN
09-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Doug- you're right on that one. I was in Dallas over New Year 2000 and there was a snow storm(a couple of inches) and there were cars parked all over the place. On the roads, in ditches, in yards, medians, sidewalks, etc. Same week the escaped cons killed the cop in Irving, about 3 blocks from where we stayed.

Leroy
09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I talked to people in our factory in Huntsville and they said they were only expecting lots of rain and maybe gusts of 60MPH. Which isn't that different than most of the afternoons this summer for them.

Leroy
09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I remember getting out of school for 1/4 inch of snow growing up in east TN.

east tx skier
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I drove to Dallas on NYE that year for NYE (12/31/00). Nice little storm. Makes me miss my little front wheel drive Accord. Took it on like a champ and never let me down.