PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Prostar 190 dashboard

lefaucheur
09-09-2004, 04:55 AM
Does anyone know where I could find a dashboard for a 1987 Prostar 190? The one I have has seen better days.

Aloha,

Bill

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Bill,

I have a good friend that instead of replacing his dash (it was rough, cracked etc) took it and had it sprayed with black truck bed liner for about $40. It looks great and is very durable. I know that their is a Lava Liner dealer over on Nimitz by the airport, give them a call.

I was stationed at Hickam for a few years and would have loved to knew someone with a ski boat. Where on the island do you ski?

lefaucheur
09-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. My main problem with the dash is that all the holes are pretty much torn up. The last owner must have tried to tighten the strews too tights and they ripped right through. He then had to use large washers on the screws. So do you think this truck bed liner will do the trick? Or do I need to place something behind the holes before having it sprayed?

Bill
ps. Actually, we just bought the boat last year. But we just got it up and running about a month ago. After having overheating problems and replacing almost the entire cooling system -- I realized that the previous owner had the hoses reversed on the water pump!!! lol I was both amused that I missed that and angry at the guy who sold it to me this way. This was my first boat and never dreamed that I should have had the guy take me out in the boat first. Duhhhhh. buyer beware.

So anyway, we've done no skiing yet; just crusin' and inflatables. We go out in Hawai`i Kai Marina, the bay, Kaneohe bay, and Ke`ehi lagoon.

BriEOD
09-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Bill,

You might want to reinforce it. You could use some heavy duty plasitc or even plywood just to put around the holes that are bad. Cut a small piece, match the hole and then epoxy, glue, whatever. I don't think you'll have much luck finding an 87 dash. I have the same boat and have seen a few people ask about this. You will be pleasantly surprised how nice that liner looks. Also, it will make the dash much more durable.

Hawaii Kai, Marina? I've been in the dive shop their before and looked at the lagoon. Is it open to the public. I'm talking about on the side between the road and the buildings. Also, did you know that their is a ski club that skies down by the airport everyday, they have a course and all. It was in WaterSki Mag a few issues back. I wish I knew about them when I lived their. Anyway happy skiing.

east tx skier
09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Had the same problem with my screw holes. Used very large plastic drywall anchors and washers. The problem is that the screw head gets pulled through no matter what you have behind it.

lefaucheur
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Bill,

Hawaii Kai, Marina? I've been in the dive shop their before and looked at the lagoon. Is it open to the public. Also, did you know that their is a ski club that skies down by the airport everyday, they have a course and all. It was in WaterSki Mag a few issues back.

Thanks again for the info.

As for the locations, Hawai`i Kai Marina is priviate to Hawai`i Kai residence (yearly stickers are issued -- and a second sticker for anyone who wants to ski or use inflatables in their two restricked areas). Anyone outside the Marina association must get permission and a sticker for their boat. As for the airport lagoon, yea, there are two clubs. The one I'm most aware of is Na Ali`i ski club. It's rests on an island in the middle of the lagoon. Pretty cool. I'm planning on heading out there in the next couple of weeks.

Again, mahalo,
Bill