PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 190

erkoehler
09-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Does anyone know if there are any known problems with these boats? Also, how many hours can you expect to get out of the LT1 engine? Assuming that all scheduled maintenance is kept up on it.

I like the look of the anniversary edition boat, but am worried because it is 6 years old. Can I expect to get many more years of solid use out of it, or will it become a money pit?

BrianM
09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
All boats are money pits. :D Haven't you heard that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

That being said for the most part these boats are reliable if taken care of properly. 6 years old is nothing. I have an '88 that is still running strong and others have the same experience with boats from the late '70s and early '80s. It is not uncommon for engines to go 2000 or more hours.

Do your due dilegence before buying any boat and have a trustworthy marine mechanic go over the boat before you make any purchase and point out any current or future mechanical issues.

I am sure others will chime in with more thoughts.

The '98 boats don't have any known mechanical problems that I am aware of however many will chime in about perceived issues with the wake of that boat. I spent the entire summer of '98 in one of four new '98 Prostars and loved how the boats drove and skied.

bradamerry
09-09-2004, 09:42 AM
I have skied and drove Farmer Ted's 98' Anniversary. It is a great boat!!! The motor is super strong and pulls like a dream. He put the Hydro rails on it, I might would check on that. It is also one of the best looking boats I seen!

acurtis_ttu
09-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I have a 96 PS 190 w/ the LT1 and other than the engine temp issue I have had no problems. 98 is not old by any means.....these aren't cars being driven 20,000 miles a year. I've seen older boats than mine that look like they just came off the showroom floor. take care of your baot and it will last a long time. Boats are money pits, no matter what you think, you'll ding props, things will break (you can't watch over your friends all the time), routine maintanience, ect...Have the potential boat checked by a good mechanic, and if everything checks ok you'll love that boat.

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Certainly not too old. Engines which have been properly cared for will offer years of solid service. Not to say things won't go wrong with them, but you can feed them with greenbacks, and they'll get better.

When buying a boat, ask for maintenance records and insist on a test drive. Don't forget to ski behind it. Ski behind other boats, too. Don't just drive it for 10 minutes. Run it an for an hour. Shut it down. Start it back up. Don't baby it. Drive it hard. I never had any carb issues with my boat in the first 15 minutes. They always crept up about 30 minutes into the cruise.

It's a nice day. No chiming in for me.

jimmer2880
09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Another satisfied owner here also.. 95 PS 190 TBI EFI. 740 hours & still going strong. Regular maintenance is the KEY!

Go over the hull with a fine tooth comb. If you notice any significant dings on the under-side, I'd question what was hit & how hard.

bcampbe7
09-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Ditto Jimmer-
I have a 96 190 TBI with 160 hours. We bought it a year ago with 96 hours. I'll say it again, regular maintenance IS key.

MasterCrafting
09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
If you do buy it take really good care of it and it will last twice as long!

AirJunky
09-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Typically MC is known to be a great boat, regardless of the age. But as I recall the '98 190 was the boat that chine locked & slid off the test lake when going for their AWSA approval.......twice. As I recall the factory made some "fixes", band aids that helped but certainly didn't solve anything. Then I think in 2000 the mold was revamped.

Look for a small horizontal piece on either side of the rudder. And there should be a bolt on rail on the back sides where the spray pockets are located. Both devices help keep the boat down while in a hard turn at speed.

If you search this board you'll find some mixed emotions about the LT1 engine too. While it's known to have great power, it also has a tendancy to heat up...... or some people say. I know of one guy who has an LT1 in a '96 190. The engine heated up inside it's first year & was replaced in the warranty. Since the the new LT1 was installed he's never had a problem & is now in excess of 600 hours.

I have a '94 205 with the 275 horse engine. Runs great. I will have to pull the computer this winter to send it in to be upgraded. A tune up, oil change & clean things up & it'll be ready for another summer on the lake!

Does anyone know if there are any known problems with these boats? Also, how many hours can you expect to get out of the LT1 engine? Assuming that all scheduled maintenance is kept up on it.

I like the look of the anniversary edition boat, but am worried because it is 6 years old. Can I expect to get many more years of solid use out of it, or will it become a money pit?

erkoehler
09-09-2004, 02:58 PM
What do you mean it slid off the test lake?

AirJunky
09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
A chine lock is where the boat stands up on it's gunnel, probably due to centrifugal force. Other than the 98 test incident, I've only even heard of it happening one time & it was in a pretty old boat, early 70s, not sure what brand.
Anyway, if the boat is in a turn & the fins, rudder & prop are out of the water, it slides rather than carve thru the turn. In this case, it was said it hit the shore.

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I've also heard of some Nautiques having issues with chine lock from time to time.

Back to :popcorn:

AirJunky
09-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Till anyone of us talks to someone with MC, it's all hearsay. But it's enough to make ya say hmmmmmmmmm.................

Some interesting comments if you search Google for "chine lock".

http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/messages/12640/7060.html#POST21617

http://graphics.nicholls.edu/waterski/messages/1487.html

Farmer Ted
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
From this picture the wing looks like it would push the nose of the boat down.

I was told by a Mastercraft dealer the intent of the hydro rails was to smooth the wake out for long line skiers. There was no problem with the wake for shortline skiers but normal people complained that the wake was bigger than previous years.

I'm going to email MC and get the skinny on this once and for all.

MarkP
09-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Interesting stuff AJ

Now Farmer Ted, is that a new photo? After repair..

Farmer Ted
09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Mark,

This is a before shot, the cruiser is still getting mended.

MarkP
09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Ouch, so you broke a new prop:(

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Just a comment but I think this is about the 7th or 8th thread I've read about the 98 and chine lock between the 2 MC TT sites. Usually somewhere in the middle someone gets P.O.ed at Doug for talking about it.

Farmer Ted
09-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Not going to get pissed at anyone if they post some facts, but all this I know this guy who heard from a girl who dated this guy who's uncle saw a ski boat once in his life blah blah blah blah.

Bottom line, if the test boat ever ran aground MC took steps to fix it.

Look at the blue book value on 96, 97, 98, 99, and 00 models do you see a big dip in the BB on these so called problem hulls?

Here's how I drive my boat, put it in gear to take up the slack and slowly advance the throttle to get the skier up and to the speed they like to ski at.

Drive in a straight line until it's time to turn around, swing a little to the right and crank it over to the left and give it some gas and try to get back in the path I just made as fast as possible.

I don't use my boat on a ski lake so I'm sure I don't whip it around as violently as some Pro drivers do and I certainly don't go haulin a$$ trying to duplicate what ever happened if it ever happened at all.

So until someone can offer me something more substantial than
"he said she said" they can shampoo my crotch. :banana:

I would recommend to someone if they like to ski and find a boat that's been well maintained and the price is right and they feel good about it put your money on the table or find another boat.
If the 98 hull was such a piece of $hit why did they sell it for 3 years.

Anyway I aint mad at you, just need some vittles.

How's the little guy? Gettin any??????

Sleep!

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Shampoo my crotch...? Never heard that one, like it, mind if I borrow it?

I agree with you Tim, do your thing man. It's a beautiful boat.

The little guy is doing well. He is a cutie. I'm sitting here trying to prep for an exam tomorrow. Fun stuff...

Nope, not getting any either. That will be awhile yet. She had the C-section and while they were in there had the tubes tied, tires rotated and oil changed! 8p

bcampbe7
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Sweet Bri, should be like a whole new ride when you get it back from the shop... :D

BriEOD
09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Beau lets hope so...well hopefully some of those hormones stayed from the pregnancy, you know what they say....

(Doug don't worry Mark will explain this to you later? ;)

John B
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
You want something more substantial take a look at the Retro fit kit for the 98 ProStar and then a look at your rudder.
It may be fix and there might not be a problem now but if MC did this after production with a recall it is not BS.there was something wrong with that hull. And yes I know that is boat in the picture.

bradamerry
09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Ok, as I said before, I've drove and skied Tim's 98' and it is great! I would buy his boat tomorrow! I know I may be new to the Mastercraft owners world, but I skied several. Tim's is as good as any I've been behind. When asked, Mastercraft has said the little boat flying on the bank never happened. In my opinion a company like MC would never put a hull on the market that was dangerous, it's hard enough stay ahead of the Malibu's and SN's! I believe if you have never drove or skied the 98', how would you know?? :twocents:

Farmer Ted
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Brian,

I didn't mean getting any, I meant getting any sleep!

Of course you aint "gettin" any....unless you're oilin' the teak :dance:

John B
09-09-2004, 10:52 PM
It may be fix and there might not be a problem now but there was at one time.
No Prostars before 1998 had those add on parts and none had them after 1999.
The last time this came up on the old site it was said that the 2000 hull had the same problem.
Now I like MasterCraft and I have a hard time believing that they made the same hull for 3 years if it had a design flaw.
But if you have to glue things on the hull put a wing on the rudder and add a fourth sag then something was not right.

Farmer Ted
09-09-2004, 11:00 PM
John,

Your post is exactly what I'm talking about, proliferating rumors is what pisses me off.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/7/74966757.htm

http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/885165/74966757_2.jpg

I do like the interior on the 2000, but it's the same hull as the 98.

erkoehler
09-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the great advice on the boat. I will be sure to check it out with a keen eye. And i'll let you know if i run it aground! :eek:

Well, I am off to go for my test drive. Two hour drive there, atleast 3 in the boat, and 2 more back home. Question is, will I have a boat on the way home?

H20skeefreek
09-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the great advice on the boat. I will be sure to check it out with a keen eye. And i'll let you know if i run it aground! :eek:

Well, I am off to go for my test drive. Two hour drive there, atleast 3 in the boat, and 2 more back home. Question is, will I have a boat on the way home?

A word of advice. While i don't think that the chine-lock issue is an issue, i'd use it to get the price you want. Print out some of those articles about the problem, he may not know. Use it to your advantage.

erkoehler
09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
anything to save a buck huh? I am already getting a great deal, but I will mention it. Worth a shot.

MarkP
09-10-2004, 08:17 AM
bc

"should be like a whole new ride when you get it back from the shop"
I get it.. LMAO:uglyhamme

east tx skier
09-10-2004, 12:34 PM
So glad I, for the most part, stayed out of this post. Shampoo your own crotch, I'm going skiing this weekend. ;)

If you ever hear back from MC, please pass the info on. I emailed them months ago, and haven't heard a word out of them. If you're interested, you might email USAWaterski, too. They might be able to tell you exactly what went on during the 1998 AWSA testing.

I don't care what they say to be honest. If I am ever fortunate enough to get a pull behind your boat, Tim, and the only place I have to put soap to do it is in my bindings :D, I'll be psyched.

erkoehler
09-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Just got back from the test drive, IT WAS AWESOME!!! Ran the boat for quite some time, took it out of the water, looked it over and then said where do i sign!!!!

Hopefully, I will be a boat owner tomorrow!!!

Footin
09-10-2004, 03:51 PM
If YOU like it, thats all that matters. Congrats on your new purchase!

east tx skier
09-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Congrats on your new boat. Get some pics up as soon as you can.

Leroy
05-12-2005, 01:01 AM
ERK; Guess it didn't hit me until rereading it, but you almost bought a boat last fall?

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Almost, I posted it somewhere else. It came down to price. He wanted almost 26K, and at 19 I wasn't willing to pay that.

The boat was AWESOME. Great all around, had all the updates, corvette engine, heater, boom, and only 300 hours. The graphics really sell that boat.

Cloaked
05-12-2005, 11:32 PM
You still aren't willing to pay... :D :D