PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for wake surfboards?

vegashomeexpert
11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Am getting a wake surfboard before next season. Have only seen a couple of models. Any suggestions on what I should get?

xstar2k4
11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I really like the Hyperlite Broadcast 4"9... I bought when I was still a beginner and it's a great board to progress... I liked wakesurfing so much I hardly wakeboarded last season

PendO
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Am getting a wake surfboard before next season. Have only seen a couple of models. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Depends on how tall you are and how much you weigh ... my bro is 50-60 # lighter ... we ride different boards, he can ride mine fine, but his is a bit harder for me ... I have the Landlock, he has a few different ones.

BeavenX5
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
I really like the Hyperlite Broadcast 4"9... I bought when I was still a beginner and it's a great board to progress... I liked wakesurfing so much I hardly wakeboarded last season
Hi
I am also considering getting a wakesurf this winter. Have you tried it behind the X5? Will the wake be large enough?
With a smaler wake, what size of board is ideal,
Thanks,
JC

vegashomeexpert
11-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Depends on how tall you are and how much you weigh ... my bro is 50-60 # lighter ... we ride different boards, he can ride mine fine, but his is a bit harder for me ... I have the Landlock, he has a few different ones.
Sounds like a bigger board would be more suitable for riders of different sizes? (Smaller people can ride bigger boards easier than bigger people can ride smaller ones?)

PendO
11-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Sounds like a bigger board would be more suitable for riders of different sizes? (Smaller people can ride bigger boards easier than bigger people can ride smaller ones?)

http://www.hyperlite.com/06_web/06_index.html

Okay, mine is the Landlock, my brother rides the Broadcast

I think we also have an older Inland Surfer (Edit, we demo'd one-didn't buy it)

The other board is a Liquid Force

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/boards.asp
http://www.liquidforce.com/wsurf_inlander.htm

Here is the WakeWorld buyers guide to WakeSurf Boards

http://www.wakeworld.com/Surf/

The Liquid Force was too thick for my preference, the Hyperlite Landlock was easy for me to learn to ride w/o the rope, but not as maneuverable for tricks compared to the Hyperlite Broadcast

vegashomeexpert
11-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the links! Good info! :D

jamisonsbrodie
11-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Inlandsurfer Blue lake is a great board. It is about the same size as a Landlock, but is faster and more fun. The landlock is a good all around board for the price, but is limiting for advanced riders. The broadcast is good for intermediate to advanced riders, or smaller <175 lbs riders (due to its smaller size). Shredd stixx makes a good board also, it is very bouyant, making it easy to ride.

Prostar19
01-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I really lik my inland surfer blue board better than the hyperlite. It seems to have more flotaion and is easier to ride all around espically on a smaller wake. Being weight challged (245) I need all the help I can get. I am getting the Red Tide board and can not wait to try it out

vegashomeexpert
01-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I really lik my inland surfer blue board better than the hyperlite. It seems to have more flotaion and is easier to ride all around espically on a smaller wake. Being weight challged (245) I need all the help I can get. I am getting the Red Tide board and can not wait to try it out
Thanks for the info. As Santa did not bring me the board, I will hold out for Valentines day, then my birthday, then Cinco de Mayo, and finally St. Pats day. If I am still sans board, I will have to buy myself an easter present. Red Tide sounds like a killer (pun intended!).

Prostar19
01-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks,

I think the red tide is the way to go. Behind a MC X30 I could ride the blue lake without putting much weight on my front foot but behind an old X2 new X1 with 2 people in the boat the wake was small and I had to push a lot with my front foot. The red tide being wider should be easier to ride on a smaller wake. Good luck!!!

erkoehler
01-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info. As Santa did not bring me the board, I will hold out for Valentines day, then my birthday, then Cinco de Mayo, and finally St. Pats day. If I am still sans board, I will have to buy myself an easter present. Red Tide sounds like a killer (pun intended!).

Aren't you supposed to buy yourself something for your birthday? Perfect opportunity!

Prostar19
01-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Aren't you supposed to buy yourself something for your birthday? Perfect opportunity!

That's what I always do. :cool:

vegashomeexpert
01-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I bought the boat and told my wife that was my Xmas present, then boat myself the fancy new '06 rudder before Xmas and said that was my Xmas present but got caught. Guess the rudder could be my MLK present and that would leave space for the wake surfer for my birthday. Thanks for helping think my way out of this jam! I should have the wake surfer by the end of February! :woohoo:

RackAtak
01-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Hey...is it your fault the next time you do a walk through of a vacant home you discover that the previous owners left behind a wake surfboard in the master bedroom closet that just happens to be the wake surfboard you were looking at?

SteveO
01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I bought the boat and told my wife that was my Xmas present, then boat myself the fancy new '06 rudder before Xmas and said that was my Xmas present but got caught. Guess the rudder could be my MLK present and that would leave space for the wake surfer for my birthday. Thanks for helping think my way out of this jam! I should have the wake surfer by the end of February! :woohoo:

I like the way you think. I bought my boat last Feb as a 40th for myself (my birthday wasn't till Nov). My wife still reminds me that it was my birthday present, christmas present and every other reason to buy stuff you can think of.

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey...is it your fault the next time you do a walk through of a vacant home you discover that the previous owners left behind a wake surfboard in the master bedroom closet that just happens to be the wake surfboard you were looking at?
Nah, the wife is a realtor, too, and wouldn't fall for that. But if I sold the house and the clients didn't want/need it.... ;) Like most things, I will just end up buying it and then spend some time trying to persued her why i "need" it and why it was "a good deal". :smile:

sizzler
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
vegas.......any good board shops/ski shops where you are......???

gonna bring me an extra suitcase to take home some goodies

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
vegas.......any good board shops/ski shops where you are......???

gonna bring me an extra suitcase to take home some goodies
Nothing to make a special trip across the pond for, unless you plan on being at a bachelor party and playing some golf. ;) Most things in Vegas sell at MSRP+ (cars for example, have the special "desert protection package" added; for only $4,999 extra you get tinted windows, floor mats, and mud flaps. Can you say "profit"!) the guys around here go to Arizona (Lake Havasu) or Southern Utah (St. George) to buy their boats and quads/motorcycles. As far as boards & stuff, the best deals I have seen are at, you guessed it, the Mastercraft dealer. They have a lot of demos and previous years models for 40% to 50% off (no wakesurf boards, though). The 'bu dealer "deals" on that stuff and I have gotten some good prices there. Of the sporting goods stores, Copeland's has the best board shop but they are into snowboards right now. You may want to visit some of the boat dealers and see what you can come up with. MC of LV, Pro Watersports ('bu), Tige', and Cal's Bluewater Marine (various) are all in the same area of Henderson (15 minutes from Mandalay bay). You can even stop by the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail factory, take a tour, and get some free juice if you are feeling parched. Did I read somewhere else you are coming in March?

sizzler
01-12-2006, 11:03 AM
yeah....on a bachelor party 22nd march for 4 nights.....cant wait..

i dont drink ;) gamble or play golf........is there anything else to do in vegas ;)

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, the biggest attraction in town is just off of the "strip". It involves dollar bills and a whole lot of hotties. I "understand" you just sit there but still get a nice physical workout and may even break out in a sweat. :D

sizzler
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
i'll bring my wet-suit if its gonna get wet :friday: :firejump:

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Good idea. I hear they love latex!

WakeSeeky
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Tsk, can't leave you boys alone for one minute! ;)

Just wanted to throw out that Sport Chalet is another place we've sometimes found good prices. I don't know about the Henderson store, but the one in Summerlin has the added bonus of knowledgeable employees in the watersports department. Vegas is right though, this ain't the place to bargain hunt and by March you're going to be looking at 2006 gear, the closeout stuff will be pretty much gone.

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Tsk, can't leave you boys alone for one minute! ;)

Just wanted to throw out that Sport Chalet is another place we've sometimes found good prices. I don't know about the Henderson store, but the one in Summerlin has the added bonus of knowledgeable employees in the watersports department. Vegas is right though, this ain't the place to bargain hunt and by March you're going to be looking at 2006 gear, the closeout stuff will be pretty much gone.
Notice I only gave information I got from 3rd parties. Plausible deniability! :uglyhamme

WakeSeeky
01-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Notice I only gave information I got from 3rd parties. Plausible deniability! :uglyhamme
Yeah, yeah, and you're only staying for one drink, right? :rolleyes: :D

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, yeah, and you're only staying for one drink, right? :rolleyes: :D
So, about those wakesurf boards....

WakeSeeky
01-13-2006, 10:49 AM

:D
Wish I could help, I've looked at them but never even tried one. We were planning to get one at the end of last summer when everything went on clearance, but got the Sky Ski instead which kinda blew the toy budget (but it WAS my birthday :D ). Now I'll just wait for you to get one and see how you like it! ;)

vegashomeexpert
01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
:D
Wish I could help, I've looked at them but never even tried one. We were planning to get one at the end of last summer when everything went on clearance, but got the Sky Ski instead which kinda blew the toy budget (but it WAS my birthday :D ). Now I'll just wait for you to get one and see how you like it! ;)
Its a deal...

RexDog1
01-18-2006, 02:54 PM
yeah....on a bachelor party 22nd march for 4 nights.....cant wait..

i dont drink ;) gamble or play golf........is there anything else to do in vegas ;)

Well there is a Ranch you can go to :cool:

sand2snow22
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM

I have a CWB Tsunami and love it. I weigh 190#'s and I can let go of the rope. They make a little bigger one, too. Good luck. I'll be down in Vegas in May or June for a bachelor party. Should be fun.....

78skier
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
I love wake surfing I have a broudcaster 4"9 How ever I would look into geting a real surf board (short board 6") it is a hole lot more fun much more flotaion.
What ever you get Im shur you will have fun after you get the hang of it. It's not supper easy. get you legs in shape

vegashomeexpert
04-14-2006, 10:27 PM
The Hyperlite Landlock I bought in mid February is finally here. Actually, I bought it off the showroom floor, got it home, found a ding, returned it, they tried to exchange it for the other one they had, it had the same ding...... They sent them back to Hyperlite and said I should have a new one in a couple of weeks. No problem I said, as the water and air are way too cold. However, a couple of weeks turned into a couple of months and I have been out twice now without getting to try the wake surfboard. Serves me right from buying accessories from the 'Bu dealer. Hope to test it Sunday! :eek3:

vegashomeexpert
04-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Surfed on Sunday! Weird experience following the boat without holding on to anything. Definitely "relaxing". Nothing strenuous about it (except maybe starting and pulling up to the sweet spot). Sorry, no pics.

Leroy
04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I agree Vegas! I did it last summer at Mag Mania and was really fun! Everything about it was easy, but gets much harder if you go to short board and try some tricks!

vegashomeexpert
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Surfboard Critique: Hyperlite landlock: Anybody (except people from Wisconson, I will explain later, can do it!) This has got to be the easiest, most confidence building sport in the world! The learning curve for most people is about 5 minutes. My son and daughter, both up and ropless in about 5 minutes. Me ropeless in 2 tries. Everybody except for a friends friend and his 2 kids (all from Wisconson) got up first try and most went ropeless soon after. Even they guy who has never got up on a wakeboard (in 3 trips) got up on the surfboard and went ropeless his first try (he has surfed in the ocean before). The wide bodies had the hardest time going ropeless, but even a couple of them were able to "surf" for a while. This is something you do when you are too tired from doing everything else 'cause it give zero cardio benefit. Still a ton of fun and everybody had a blast! :D