PDA

View Full Version : 98 SportStar 19 dies after warmup

donriner
09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Hello All,

We were out skiing last weekend (400th hour) when all of the sudden the engine began to run very rough, then died. After restarting we now have trouble maintaining idle, then she wouldn't start at all.

After finding the distributor cap and rotor contacts quite corroded and replacing both, nothing is better. Starts cold and runs fast idle just fine. After warming then dies immediately, or runs rough and dies. There is plenty of fuel coming from injectors into throttle-body. Also replaced the module under the distributor cap. The fuel is fresh and filters not clogged.

This is a 1998 5.0L MC Vortec MX Plus engine (I think only engine available in SportStar). First trouble I've had with this boat at all.

I'm thinking perhaps its the ignition coil that gets warm and develops an internal short? Ideas please?

don riner
drr@donriner.com

Jeff N.
09-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Does this model have a standard ignition? If so, sounds a lot like a bad condensor. My '82 does the pretty much the exact same thing when the condensor dies.

JimN
09-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Jeff- it's a '98 5.0L TBI motor, HEI distributor.

Check the plugs on the sensors, just for grins. Does it start better if you open the throttle a bit? If it does, your IAC may be sticking a bit when it follows the throttle when you bring it down to idle. Also, check for a PCV valve on one valve cover, with a black hose going to the intake manifold. Just like on a car, if this is dirty and clogged, it won't run right.

Jeff N.
09-08-2004, 08:49 PM
ah well..that's what I get for keeping a 24 year old boat. :D

JimN
09-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Nothing wrong with having a 22 year old boat. It just requires slightly different maintenance. Still a great boat.

donriner
09-08-2004, 09:37 PM
What's an IAC ?

drr

André
09-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Idle Air Control.Located on the side of the throttle body.It's basiccally an adjustable bypass for air depending if the engine is hot or cold.

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 11:59 PM
A little off topic, but I believe you could get a 5.7 L on a sportstar as an option. Okay, continue the technical discussion. ;)