PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sending Unit 04 X80

Atldunns
06-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance...

My Fuel Sending unit in my 04 X80 has gone bad. My local dealer has now installed 3 different brand new units, none of which have worked. I watched them last time and the problem is in fact the unit. Dealer says MC changed suppliers and the new supplier is no good.

I've looked at aftermarket stuff and everything I can find is 2 wire, but mine is the 3 wire sender.

Anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a replacement part that will work?

Thx for any help.

Jeff d
06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
You can go from a 3 wire to a 2 wire. Just eliminate the red wire. All you need is ground and the pink signal wire. I just swapped in a 2 wire Wema SSS 10" which was $35 shipped off eBay. Works fine.

The only reason for the 3rd wire is to power the solid state centroid sender. If you get a simple passive sender you can just cut the connector off the factory sender and connect the new one. Pop the back off the connector and you can just remove the red wire from the sender side of the harness. Don't just leave it hanging where it could ground out on something and make a spark.

Jeff d
06-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Btw what tests have you done to confirm the sender is indeed bad?

Jeff d
06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
One more thing on the Wema sender. The top part of it is much lower profile than the OE Centroid sender. If you use the same screws then they will blow out the little pockets behind the threaded insets on the tank. You must get screws that are about 1/2" shorter than the factory screws or you risk creating a leak around the sender.

Atldunns
06-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff d. To answer your question on test, I did not do it but watch the dealer tech do it. He grounded and jumped the wires at the end where it connects to sending unit and the gauge moved between full and empty. He said that confirmed that the problem was the sending unit. I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject, so I assume he is correct. Is there something else I should check?

Jeff d
06-27-2014, 10:54 AM
That's a pretty good indication that the sender is bad. To be certain you'd need to check the range of resistances provided at various fuel levels while the sender has power and ground.

I'd just measure the depth of your tank and order the appropriate length Wema SSS sender. The resistance at given fuel levels is pretty well standardized so just about any sender that fits will work.