PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Prostar 190 Winter Project Almost Done

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Last September I drove 7 hours to go look at a 1994 Prostar 190. I got to the marina/private boat ramp and the previous owner had not arrived yet so I went inside to waste some time. I started talking with the marina owner and the previous owner pulled up with the boat. I asked the marina owner if he knew anything about the boat he said well I custom ordered that color scheme and it has almost every option heat and all. He had also serviced the boat its whole life. I took the boat out and ended up bringing it back to Ohio that day.

This was only the begining!

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Then the tear down started...

Then we towed it to the shop to start paint work!

catamount
06-26-2014, 02:05 PM
subscribed!

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Then the sanding started and some more sanding then a few beers then sand some more! 113604

We did a real rough tape job for what the design was going to be.... I promise it gets better!
Also had to do a repair on the side from previous owner hitting a dock.
Then the final taping off started... a few beers later and a few hundred dollars in yellow tape,fine line, paper, pastic we got to here.

Then comes the sealer before the paint!

Double D
06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Subscribed too.

Was this picture was taken at O'Shaughnessy Reservoir?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=113595&d=1403804664

If so, are you aware of the Buckeye Bash that takes place there every year in August? Bring that baby over. Click the link in my signature for details.

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Well after 3 coat of sealer I was happy with the progess so far!

Had some issues with water in the air lines so we stopped but 3 coats of sealer allowed us to sand out any imperfections. So yes more sanding=more beers! I am a realtor so this is just what we did in my spare time with some help from close friends.

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Subscribed too.

Was this picture was taken at O'Shaughnessy Reservoir?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=113595&d=1403804664

If so, are you aware of the Buckeye Bash that takes place there every year in August? Bring that baby over. Click the link in my signature for details.

This was the first time i had it out after i got it back to Ohio!! I should be out! I work on Muirfield Dr so its really close!

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 02:49 PM
After a whole lot more sanding it was ready for the first round of base!
Yes I did the interior synergy green! New interior next year to match!

It was after midnight and we had been working all day so we decided to put clear on it before finishing the design. But the plus is the the interior has 4 coats of clear and same with all the green and black.

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Wetsanded what we had done yes more sanding and more beer!

Good picture of it almost done with the front of my Lighning popping in! Yes the Domed Mastercraft decals are on the way!

ProTour X9
06-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Green and black is the new teal and pink. :cool:

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
After all this work i found possible the worse thing any of us could find.... a cracked block!!! Yes i winterized it! Ran 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through it while it was running. Drained everything I could but i thought the cold we got in Ohio just froze the anitfreeze. When i tore down the engine the heads cooling ports were extreamly clogged. This being a reverse cooling motor very little of the antifreeze go to the block. I learn my lesson on this next year i will be pulling the Knock sensor after running antifreeze through the engine. This will allow the engine to be stored dry. So it was time to get the engine out and find a block.113624
The previous owner rigged a fuel pump it was bouncing around (all new fuel lines and new pump mounted by the gas tank to fix this)
All stripped down ready to come out!
Towing it over to a buddies to lift the engine and trans out!!
Yes its nice knowing farmers!

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Green and black is the new teal and pink. :cool:

I liked the old look but I am not one to leave anything alone!

Anorth09
06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Ended up driving an hour an 1 1/2 to pick up a block that i could build. What i thought could be honed ended up needing to go .030 over. So i had to buy pistons to have the shop press on for me. I got the block back from being hot tanked and honed and started the assembly!!

Tear down of my crack block started
New parts started rolling in!
Shopwas a wreck from being so busy and so many parts.

Bare block back from hot tank and boring!
Got the rings on the pistons and pistons fir into the block. New cam bearings installed and rollers in place.

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Finally got the heads back from the machine shop! They were hot tanked to clean all the build up in the coolant passages, then resurfaced, valve job and new valve springs. 830 hours was enough to wear out a set of valve springs.

Got the heads torqued down with new bolts.
Got the rockers and pushrods in and adjusted. Thought it would be harder then it was. I have done a Honda Civic valve adjustment but never this far in depth.
Got my new water pump in (LT-1 pump off of a corvette) They have one extra line off the pump that you can cap off. So worth the money you save over a marine one! Also new thermostats installed!

Double D
06-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Love the added touch of the green accents on the engine. Go big or go home, that's my motto!!

mikeg205
06-27-2014, 10:22 AM
sorry to read about the cracked block - awesome job on the rebuild

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 10:31 AM
The big day for me was getting it in and running! No help from a tractor this time just had an old engine hoist... Tractor is the way to go but have to work with what you can get. The good thing about these boats is how fast they come apart and how easy they are to work on.

At first i thought i was going to end up buying manifolds due to the threads being rusted on the drain and one plug would not go back in. I went to a local machine shop to see what they could do for me before dropping even more money on this project. The owner said he had a tap that would work if he could find it.... half hour later we found it!!! But due to how busy he was he let me borrowthe tap to do the repair myself! Got the tap home in within a half hour both manifolds fixed! Afters some grinding and fresh paint good as new :D
After getting the engine in i decided to replace all the hoses. I wa not about to reuse 20 year old hoses. Got the new hoses installed and new fuel system installed and fired it up! It runs!!! Till i found an oil leak from the rear main seal. So i bought a better one and pulled the transmission and installed a new one next day start it up still leaks. Now i was starting to doubt myself but i gave it another try out comes the transmission again.... This time i pulled the oil pan put a new oil pan gasket and rear main housing gasket on just to be sure.

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 10:37 AM
sorry to read about the cracked block - awesome job on the rebuild

Its taken a lot of late nights! The positive is that its a completely new boat!:D

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Love the added touch of the green accents on the engine. Go big or go home, that's my motto!!

That the only way to do it! I order a wake tower and speaker 3 months ago and it still has not arrive!! I cant wait to get the tower on!
:D:D:D:D:D

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 11:02 AM
This is the tower i ordered but with a Bimini. From what i have read its either a love or hate it. I do want to add more fiberglass on the inside of the boat before mounting it!

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
I was going to have the interior done at Viper this year but the money got tied up in the engine rebuild. The interior will have to wait till next year! So after the third rear main seal was installed i fired it up and ran the boat for 20 minutes. I noticed some noise coming from the back of the engine/transmission tracked it down to what sounded like it was coming from the transmission or flywheel. Shut the boat down and pulled the starter for inspection. It looked like the starter was not disengaging so I had the starter rebuilt and pulled the transmission for inspection. At this point I can have the transmission out of my boat in about 30 minutes by myself. I inspected the Damper plate and the springs were loose. After some research on this forum I figured I needed a new Damper plate. While the trans was out I pulled the flywheel to inspect the rear main seal for leaks…sure enough still leaking. At this point I called my dad retired ASE certified for 35 years asking for advice. My dad was automotive instructor at a career center for over 30 years. So the teacher in him only will tell me how to do something and the methods and reasons behind it. So when it was why is the 3rd rear main seal leaking I could only think of one reason when they polished the crank it is not allowing for a tight seal on the rear main… My dad didn’t think the crank being polished would affect the rear main. After talking with my dad for a while I decided to buy a rear main sleeve and another rear main seal. I got it back together Wednesday night and boom no more rear main seal leak! But I did find one of my transmission cooler lines cracked so this morning I had new lines made! Might still be able to make a test pass at Alum Creek this weekend!

Table Rocker
06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Got my new water pump in (LT-1 pump off of a corvette) They have one extra line off the pump that you can cap off.
You can move your heater hose to that line and do away with the plumbing on top of the mixer thermostat housing. You would need to add an inline valve for shutoff, but you will get better heat and have a cleaner looking engine.

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
You can move your heater hose to that line and do away with the plumbing on top of the mixer thermostat housing. You would need to add an inline valve for shutoff, but you will get better heat and have a cleaner looking engine.

Sounds like good plan. I had read on hear about another way to do it. But with the additional line already on the pump that will be easier! I cut the outlet back closer to the pump but still have room so swap it over :D Im all about a cleaner engine!

mgs96ps
06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
You mentioned that you replaced hoses. Where did you find the 3 molded hoses?

Thanks.

Anorth09
06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
You mentioned that you replaced hoses. Where did you find the 3 molded hoses?

Thanks.

I replaced all but the molded ones. I am still looking for the molded lines. Im sure with enough time and someone helpful at Napa you could find something to work. The two top molded ones on mine look to have been replaced. Between Napa and Skidim i replaced the rest. I was going to see if i could find someone local to make the hoses if not.

Anorth09
06-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Took the boat out yesterday for a test run after a long day Saturday finishing up putting the interior in. Looks like it might be time to rebuild the transmission. I changed the transmission fluid (I knew the risk) and figured if it worked good, if not i will learn to rebuild a velvet drive. It worked great last year but as always changing transmission fluid on older transmission is always a risk.

Dalton_H
07-01-2014, 12:38 AM
When i bought my 190 the trans fluid looked like mud and looked like it had never been changed. Changed it about 4 times running it in-between to circulate the fluid and it finally was red again. Changed it one last time and added half a quart of lucas trans stop leak, the thick addictive, and it smoother then ever, no shuddering, engages smoother etc. Might try another change and some lucas before pulling it apart.

Anorth09
07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
When i bought my 190 the trans fluid looked like mud and looked like it had never been changed. Changed it about 4 times running it in-between to circulate the fluid and it finally was red again. Changed it one last time and added half a quart of lucas trans stop leak, the thick addictive, and it smoother then ever, no shuddering, engages smoother etc. Might try another change and some lucas before pulling it apart.

Mine was relatively clean just changed it while i had the trans out. I am going to the shop tonight to look at it and probably add lucas to see if that will fix it. I want to take the boat out on the 4th. But i have plans for a rebuild, ebasic has everything including the pump and all new snap rings for around $550. I know some guys dont replace the pump but if its out again im going to do it all. No plans to sell the boat so just peace of mind.

Dalton_H
07-01-2014, 08:07 PM
No doubt, hopefully the lucas will at least get you through the season!

Anorth09
07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
No doubt, hopefully the lucas will at least get you through the season!

Exactly! I am going to take it out tonight after putting the lucas in and hope for the best. I have a houseboat already reserved for Cumberland next month! My boat will be there:headbang:

Anorth09
07-07-2014, 10:30 AM
So far the trans is holding up with lucas! Put about 4 hours on it on the 4th. I need to get my volt meter out the Gauge on the dash is now only showing 10 volts with battery testing at 12.7. I have not been able to test it with the volt meter on the alternator. I was thinking about having the rebuild shop upgrade as much as they can in the stock casting.