PDA

View Full Version : What kind of ski?

baedriver
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
In the market for a new slalom ski. I have been on my HO VTX since 94 and trying to find something different and newer. I am looking at the ho cdx, kdcr7, f1 and if you have any inputs. I was able to run 22 off every once in a while back in the day so not sure what i need with the technology changes since my vtx thanks

88 PS190
11-28-2005, 01:36 AM
you need a demo day it sounds like.

Jimmy O
11-28-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with a demo day. The new Phantom Truth is a great ski.

Brent
11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Demo a lot of skis , Stay away from the top of the line skis (overkill).

I'd suggest trying the Jobe Edge, it is the the CDX mold or a HO System 8 .

Ric
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
It's rumored that KD is moving out of the US market
Don't know if that will play into your decision on ski brands.
I cannot say enough good things about HO quality and customer service! You need to demo a few though.

skisix@38
11-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Try a Carbonworx Outlaw if you want to try those others. The outlaw will be much easier to ski than your VTX. I rode a VTX, the red top with some black, back in the day. And now I've tried almost everything, Monza, 6AM, 9700, D3 and I think the Outlaw out performs them all with a lower cost.
It's a good ski that is easy to ride.

88 PS190
11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I demo'd the F1X connelly thought it felt pretty good. I couldn't use the F1 as well as it probably can be riden... bit stiff for me.

jake
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree with a demo day. The new Phantom Truth is a great ski.

"new"?? Did HO re-introduce the Phantom Truth?

I'm on a Monza, like it pretty well, have heard the System 8 is good, also a lot of the pros seem to be riding the 6AM, so that must mean something. Goode still dominates the amature ranks, supposed to be forgiving, but I've never skied one.

I'd look for a used one if I were you. Ski-it-again has a ton of high end skis with one season on them. If you step up to any all carbon ski (Monza, goode, 6AM, etc.) you'll notice a huge performance increase over your old HO.

Don't really agree with the "avoid the high end skis" bit of advice, but that's my 2 cents. Also, don't overlook the shaped skis such as the Connelly F1X. Many intermediate skiers get better results with a shaped ski.

Many of the pros seem to be using Wiley wrap bindings. They are significantly cheaper than the name brand high end bindings you'll see from the ski manufactures mentioned above. You might be better served by spending more on the blank and saving a bit on bindings by going with Wiley's. That being said, I really like my HO Animal superfeet bindings.

baedriver
11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
not a whole lot of places to demos skis but i can get a hold of the f1, cdx, and cr7 through a friend I might have to start there, the prices are so good in the winter it makes me want to buy but I think your correct in saying that I need to demo!

88 PS190
11-28-2005, 07:19 PM
you can also demo a goode. http://www.goode.com/demo.html they basically sell you the ski, then if you decide you don't like it you can return it to them minus the 25$, per ski/ and per binding. Lil, expensive so i'd do it last if you don't find something you like.

I'd ride your friend's stuff just to see what you think, and talk to as many people you can... Maybe even search around for a spot that does demos even if they're nowhere near you. where in the midwest?

Ric
11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
not a whole lot of places to demos skis but i can get a hold of the f1, cdx, and cr7 through a friend I might have to start there, the prices are so good in the winter it makes me want to buy but I think your correct in saying that I need to demo!
do you guys have sun and ski sports in your area? They do demos for $25, they set up the ski, you take it for a day or two and return it if you dont like it
if you like it the money goes toward your purchase
I may be wrong but if you demoed 3 skis for $75, all $75 goes toward the new purchase
check that out
(alot of ski shops have variations of this too)

baedriver
11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Located in Lake St. Louis, MO I have a few places to demo if anyone knows anywhere close thanks

ConnellyF1X
12-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey man I really think if your a lighter set person weight wise you will love the the control and speed that the Connelly F1X Provides. Im 160 at 6" tall and ill tell you what the ski will give you an awsome ride with control and speed through the corse or just goin crazy with out the coarse. I think its one of the best ski's I have ever purchased you should look into it. :headbang:

east tx skier
12-14-2005, 12:39 PM
do you guys have sun and ski sports in your area? They do demos for $25, they set up the ski, you take it for a day or two and return it if you dont like it
if you like it the money goes toward your purchase
I may be wrong but if you demoed 3 skis for $75, all $75 goes toward the new purchase
check that out
(alot of ski shops have variations of this too)

Ric, how's their selection these days?