PDA

View Full Version : Increased Medallion Failures with .54

FoggyNogginz
06-24-2014, 11:58 PM
My dash computer was occasionally locking up, so my dealer recommended a firmware upgrade and using the reset tool to clear everything out. Now, it locks up every five minutes, and this is NOT sarcasm (although I am generally quite sarcastic). I now have to turn the boat on and off multiple times just to get through two or three screens because of lockups. I'm not exactly encouraged that anyone is taking this seriously, but I really want to be able to use my boat, and I will even pay to fix it if there is an option that works. Here is a video of the current issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJU_UDNK-M&feature=youtu.be

I read some of the issues about these electronics before I bought my boat, but many posts on this forum indicated that the issues were resolved with a firmware that came out late last year. Unfortunately for me, this has not been the case. Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Is it possible to escalate to MC, do you have a contact at Medallion, or is there a replacement system that I can leverage? This has been a miserable experience since I purchased this thing, and I am a third time MasterCraft owner. I'm just tired of my boat being in the shop instead of on the water. It's a pretty expensive piece of stationary eye candy at the moment.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

cwarndahl
06-25-2014, 12:11 AM
I bought my 12 x25, last week. And my screen was acting funny. I went to the dealer and they gave me the wrong update. So a week in I'm already getting a new one. My experience do far. But I was able to get ahold of some one at the factory that was ok no solution just confirmation to replace it on my dime. Medallion had not responded to emails or phone calls yet and I have left several.

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Wow...that's horrible, and not at all encouraging. Very sorry to hear of this. Hopefully we will both be back on the water soon though. It sounds like your dealer messed yours up by giving you the wrong file, and I would expect them to take some responsibility. No??

cwarndahl
06-25-2014, 12:30 AM
No boat town is so bad I am now taking the boat 250 miles away to texas master craft who has been helpful. I did the same research and thought all was good from that last update. But hopefully the new screen fixes it. Other wise the boat may have to be back up for sale

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 01:11 AM
No boat town is so bad I am now taking the boat 250 miles away to texas master craft who has been helpful. I did the same research and thought all was good from that last update. But hopefully the new screen fixes it. Other wise the boat may have to be back up for sale

May I ask what this is supposed to cost? I'm not exactly dying to find out...but it won't surprise me if this is suggested as a next step for me too. I really can't believe the number of quality issues that I have had related to this model so far. By the time I have them all fixed, I will have spent thousands...and my 2003 X9 never ever saw a dealer....ever. Sad.

CantRepeat
06-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Maybe reflashing with newest firmware a second time or flashing to previous firmware then back to newest?

I would also check for a loose main ground at the helm.

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks. Do you mean the main ground from the battery? Where would this be?? Much appreciated.

jgraham37128
06-25-2014, 09:38 AM
I've heard nothing but horrible experiences with Medallion on the 2012 system.

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
There are actually several claims from our TT members that these issues are resolved now with firmware, but for me the issues are getting worse. I'm hoping that the dealer can help me soon, even if I have to swap electronics....I just need it fixed. Right now I have 60K invested in unusable eye candy.

Jeff d
06-25-2014, 10:24 AM
A conversation from the design meeting for the 2012 Mastercraft lineup:
You know those guys who made those gauge systems for us from 2000-2006 that weren't worth a damn?

Medallion?

Yeah. They've now got a touch screen computer system now that's so intertwined with the basic operation of the boat that it will turn it into a $100k piece of yard art when it fails

Ooooh, lets use that

bturner2
06-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Medallion has been making junk for the marine industry for years. You're lucky your gauges worked on your 03. Take a look at the posts on this site about gauges not working. These are all Medallion system design failures.

Grounding with the digital systems is paramount. Checking all the connections from the engine block to the battery, then from the battery to the ground bus under the dash would be a good starting point to ensure this isn't the source of your problems. One sign of a poor installation is more than two connections to the battery posts. With the exception of possibly the bilge pump wired to the battery to ensure power all the time and a ground cable tying battery ground together, all connections should be made through terminal blocks and bus bars.

One of the first things I do with my "new to me" boats is to go through the electrical installation at the battery and work my way out from there. This is the link of the thread I started after buying my 07 X2 and discovering the mess I had with the wiring.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29889

Not sure how much of this was done by the PO but what I got was sure to be trouble. I upgraded all the core power wiring and haven't had an issue since. If you have anything that looks remotely like mine did an upgrade to the wiring certainly wouldn't be a bad start.

don't know if this will help your situation but it may help eliminate one possible source. The summer is short so I wish you the best of luck getting through this.

CantRepeat
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure where the ground buss is at the helm in a 14 but Tuner suggest its under the dash. On my 30 it is behind the front starboard seat.

I'd agree with Turner that you need to check all the grounds, battery, engine, buss bar(and anything connected to it). I'd also check the connections on the back of your display and to the MMDC box. Likewise, check for broken wires or wires that are skinned(see the bare metal) and cracks.

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I found the main ground bar, and you can move it by hand but it does not appear to lose contact. I will tighten all grounds, and reflash the system to see where this gets me. If this doesn't help, then perhaps I replace the screen. The good news is that you don't actually NEED the touch screen to do anything on this boat because I have manual switches for everything else, including the stereo and ballast. The one exception for me is Perfect Pass, which can only be operated from the touch screen.

Either way, it's quite frustrating, and from what I've read on http://themalibucrew.com, this is not isolated to MasterCraft. Their site shows 116 reported issues with these components between Jan 2012 and today. Hopefully there is a resolution somewhere.

Thanks again for the help and guidance from this forum. My dealer and I have both appreciated the valuable knowledge that we receive from this group!

FoggyNogginz
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Medallion has been making junk for the marine industry for years. You're lucky your gauges worked on your 03. Take a look at the posts on this site about gauges not working. These are all Medallion system design failures.

Grounding with the digital systems is paramount. Checking all the connections from the engine block to the battery, then from the battery to the ground bus under the dash would be a good starting point to ensure this isn't the source of your problems. One sign of a poor installation is more than two connections to the battery posts. With the exception of possibly the bilge pump wired to the battery to ensure power all the time and a ground cable tying battery ground together, all connections should be made through terminal blocks and bus bars.

One of the first things I do with my "new to me" boats is to go through the electrical installation at the battery and work my way out from there. This is the link of the thread I started after buying my 07 X2 and discovering the mess I had with the wiring.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29889

Not sure how much of this was done by the PO but what I got was sure to be trouble. I upgraded all the core power wiring and haven't had an issue since. If you have anything that looks remotely like mine did an upgrade to the wiring certainly wouldn't be a bad start.

don't know if this will help your situation but it may help eliminate one possible source. The summer is short so I wish you the best of luck getting through this.

This is all great information. Many thanks once again. I only have two connections to the battery, but I have not checked the ground from the block to the bus and battery. I will do this today. Excellent advice.

Aric'sX15
06-25-2014, 01:28 PM
The medallion screens in the 09 malibus were a DISASTER. Makes the 2012s seem flawless lol

cwarndahl
06-25-2014, 06:31 PM
I will let u know the what the cost should have been. The dealer I bought from have me a 2 year warranty with buying the boat. So I'm lucky there. Boat town had quoted 3200, but jeff at tmc laughed and said ya but that's them and we know what they do to there customers

cwarndahl
06-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Can u not control your PP from vdig? I pulled the fuse to my screen and was able to operate everything through there

FoggyNogginz
06-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Still in the shop!! Mine has been flashed to .54, all grounds verified, no transom remote, no dual batteries, not running it in dual battery mode, and no luck getting on the water for a four time MasterCraft owner. To make matters worse, the engine is also overheating at low RPM and my dealer doesn't know how to resolve either of these issues. They are getting MC and Ilmor involved on the two respective issues, but meanwhile I'm making payments while my kids and I watch summer slip away.

Very disappointed. I mean, this is simple. Overheating is either water pump, circulator pump, leaks, air draw, thermostat, or coolant on closed systems, right? And as someone who has worked in IT for 20 years and is an electrical engineer, the computer problems are either hardware, software, firmware, unclean power, or floating grounds, right? I don't see why it takes so long to fix.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just very disappointed in the overall quality and customer care that 70K buys these days. My X9 with the Indmar 5.7 never saw a shop, and neither did my 205...but this is nuts. I sure wish I was on the water. I feel like I spent 3X to stay on land.

mikeg205
06-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Man we had this discussion not long after I joined TT. Electronics and water - "Keep it Simple" - Hi tech in the boat that sits outside moist under a cover... Sorry to read about this Foggy.. especially after what you spent... and this last winter.

FoggyNogginz
06-28-2014, 11:44 PM
I agree, Mike. I never would have bought this if the computer was required to run the boat. I still love the X14, but I do feel like MC quality has degraded over the years now that I have repaired the tower, 12v outlets, strainer, touch screen, captain's seat guides, and upside down mounted ballast pumps on a two year old "top of the line" product. Seems a little hard to swallow.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

f925
06-29-2014, 01:29 AM
Gadgets are only fun when they work. It seems most of the functions should be very simple PLC programming, and a moderately decent PLC CPU used on process machinery would be rather reliable. It sucks to see so many people struggle with these integrated systems. As others have said you almost wish you had the factory option to have individual systems and gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoggyNogginz
06-29-2014, 09:06 AM
+1 for a fully analog dash option. This was my top concern when upgrading, right behind the *unknowns* of Ilmor. I'm not a fan of the integrated electronics at all. Kinda makes me think that Moomba might get some ex-MC peeps from the 80s-early 2000s in the future since they seem to be the only watersports manufacturer that I am aware of who still offers this no frills option in a 2014 model. Ya know, they are ran by a bunch of ex MC folks these days too. I have never driven/ridden one, and this is not an endorsement. I just think that if I can skip the NAV and Bluetooth integration on my Acura, then I should be allowed to skip it in a marine environment too.

KahunaCraft
06-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I believe you could pull the screen completely.

You'd have to find the dash part that covers the hole. I'd put timers on the pumps and zero off in and drop the screen before I'd pay 3200 to replace it.

f925
06-29-2014, 10:06 AM
+1 for a fully analog dash option. This was my top concern when upgrading, right behind the *unknowns* of Ilmor. I'm not a fan of the integrated electronics at all. Kinda makes me think that Moomba might get some ex-MC peeps from the 80s-early 2000s in the future since they seem to be the only watersports manufacturer that I am aware of who still offers this no frills option in a 2014 model. Ya know, they are ran by a bunch of ex MC folks these days too. I have never driven/ridden one, and this is not an endorsement. I just think that if I can skip the NAV and Bluetooth integration on my Acura, then I should be allowed to skip it in a marine environment too.

My Nav and Bluetooth work perfect in my avalanche! Not a single problem and it is an 07! I know a reliable system can be made for these boats. What is the saying? "Keep it simple, stupid"

FoggyNogginz
06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
My Nav and Bluetooth work perfect in my avalanche! Not a single problem and it is an 07! I know a reliable system can be made for these boats. What is the saying? "Keep it simple, stupid"

I agree that it "can be made", but I don't think that the reliability numbers are even close to where they should be, based on this forum and Malibucrew.com. It's a kinda like the integrated TV/VCR option at the moment. When the VCR went out, it just became an eyesore. If I could figure out how to turn the touchscreen into an extra glove box, I'd do it this weekend and just mount Zero Off on the side panel.

FoggyNogginz
07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Update: Still in the shop. MC wants my dealer to check a bunch of voltages in various places and then call 'em back. Only three weeks left in my daughter's summer, and my two year old boat has been in the shop for three weeks since March over various quality issues. If MC hits me up for another 3K, then I'll look for an in dash cup holder and go buy something else. Hopefully they will step up to the plate and earn their reputation as a leader. Fingers crossed.

cwarndahl
07-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Good luck mine goes into the shop on the 8th screen replacement, speedo replacement, plug and okay ballast valves replaced. Fix dash lights

FoggyNogginz
07-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Wow...good luck! Mine is in the shop now, and fingers are crossed. We have been chasing gremlins in this thing like moles under a golf course green. I think we almost have them up against a fence though...almost!

cwarndahl
07-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Well she is the shop just dropped her off. I'll keep you posted!

Dave911rsr
08-15-2014, 08:58 PM
My 12 X-15 has these issues, too. Enough people have had these problems for several years now, so it would seem that MC should have them figured out and know what to do. My screen freezes up and PP doesn't work properly. I have the 54 version and a new screen, and that didn't help. I'm going in for help next week. I have zero confidence that they know how to fix it. Other than these worthless electronics, the boat is great. I'm still under factory warranty, so they need to figure it out.