PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Not Charging Battery

ksulliv
06-24-2014, 01:09 AM
It seems the alternator is not charging the battery at all on my 83 351. I've got a green wire and a brown wire that I'm not sure which one is the excite or the voltage sensor but both do not have power with ignition turned on or off. They appear to go back to the main breaker and terminate under a metal enclosure that I have no idea what is under it other than the wires (as seen in the pic). The ignition switched wire (purple) that comes off the ballast resistor also goes in that enclosure so I would assume that it should be powering those, but it obviously is not. I'm sure this is an easy question, but I'm lost. Thanks for your help!

mikeg205
06-24-2014, 09:24 AM
if nothing has changed and it stopped charging take the alternator to an auto parts shop and have it tested.

If it's bad there places like DB electric that can help you out. Please check library in General Discussion for websites.

ksulliv
06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't know if the alternator has ever worked since I got it last summer. It's only been run for a couple hours so it could be just using the juice from the battery. I also rewired the whole dash and accessories this winter but I think the brown and the green wire only go to the breaker in the back of the engine then terminate so my 're-wire wouldn't have affected that. I could be wrong though, it's hard to trace those wires once they go into the wire harness.

Yes, I contacted db yesterday and they found a 105 amp 1 wire and 3 wire replacement for me. I wanted to get the 3 wire but if the brown and the green wire aren't being powered correctly the new one won't work either.

JimN
06-24-2014, 11:27 AM
It seems the alternator is not charging the battery at all on my 83 351. I've got a green wire and a brown wire that I'm not sure which one is the excite or the voltage sensor but both do not have power with ignition turned on or off. They appear to go back to the main breaker and terminate under a metal enclosure that I have no idea what is under it other than the wires (as seen in the pic). The ignition switched wire (purple) that comes off the ballast resistor also goes in that enclosure so I would assume that it should be powering those, but it obviously is not. I'm sure this is an easy question, but I'm lost. Thanks for your help!

That closed box is the voltage regulator and may be the whole problem. If you take the alternator in, take the regulator, too.

ksulliv
06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Oh, OK, that makes sense. Thanks for your help!