PDA

View Full Version : Engine not starting- nothing working

Isahad315
06-22-2014, 10:27 PM
So I was on the water this weekend and we were just floating when the kill switch popped out. I put it back in and no start. Didn't turn over. No electronics working. I thought it was the kill switch loose connection. I got towed in and had the owner of the marina look at it. He checked the battery and all the dash wires and all good. Then he went back to the engine and wiggled a large black plug that went into the engine. He all started to work again. It then ran great all weekend. Dumb question but what did he play with and how can I prevent it from happening again????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f925
06-22-2014, 11:33 PM
I assume the large black wire attached to the engine, probably toward the rear? If so that is your ground (-) of the battery to the block. Bad grounds cause a lot of headaches. Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight. If it is what I picture effectively the battery was not hooked to any of your electronics on the black or negative side. The engine block serves as the negative connection point for most electronics on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloaked
06-23-2014, 04:17 PM
So I was on the water this weekend and we were just floating when the kill switch popped out. I put it back in and no start. Didn't turn over. No electronics working. I thought it was the kill switch loose connection. I got towed in and had the owner of the marina look at it. He checked the battery and all the dash wires and all good. Then he went back to the engine and wiggled a large black plug that went into the engine. He all started to work again. It then ran great all weekend. Dumb question but what did he play with and how can I prevent it from happening again????

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkMy guess is that is a connection point within the wiring harness. Consider using a tie-wrap or similar to secure the connection. While you're there, add a dab of di-electric grease to the plug. Without a picture, can't be sure. Ground wire could cause the same symptoms.

$0.02

Isahad315
06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Great thanks for the help. I will try them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk