PDA

View Full Version : Surf set up on 14 x46 with gen 2

Bakesbaked
06-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Just got our new x46 in with gen 2
Got behind and was very disarified with the preformance of the wave.
Next day we went out. Stuck a 800lb sack in the rear. Trying to keep the weight evenly distributed. And the wave looked a little better but still wasn't that great.
Was running between 10.5 to 11.3mph. And at about 80% tab to 100% tab
Oddly it was better starboard then port. Didn't have but 45min to really play with it and was wondering what you guys are running or maybe your buddies are such as speed, trim, and of coarse ballast!

ap77
06-21-2014, 02:34 AM
I believe those with Gen2 are using less center tab - 15%. I would try to use as little center tab as possible, especially if you want a tall wake.

KnoxX2
06-21-2014, 09:03 AM
The center tab is there to lift the back of the boat and bring the bow down. The more center tab you use the less push your wave will have. Also the Gen2 is meant to be used with equal weight. Some of us on here have found if you add more or bigger bags in the rear you must add more weight to the front. 300# to 400# should do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakesbaked
06-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Ill give the tab a try, adjusting all of them. and secondly only thought about keeping it balanced from left to right never thought about from back to front. So that will definitely help out. Read about a guy adding 1200lbs of ballast at 0% trim. And 30% on tabs.

When I get back in town tomorrow ill go test it out and see if I find a solution and post some photos for everyone

tmcde
07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
It takes a little trial & error but when you find the sweet spot it's a killer wake

Blakey13
07-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Tell me more on your set up speed trim tabs ballast ?..

Blakey13
07-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Any One Have Problems With Rear Gen 2 Bags Ripping On Rear Fiberglass Seat Support

Stefan
07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Any One Have Problems With Rear Gen 2 Bags Ripping On Rear Fiberglass Seat Support

Yeah use a couple layers of duct tape to smooth the edges...
There's an MC service bulletin out about that.

About surfing the X46:
We have two custom sacs about a third larger than the original sacs for the rear, we fill everything up, surf between 9-11mph depending on the board used. For stbd surf we use 100% port tab and 10-20% Center to smooth up the wake.

Edit: oh and yes in our opinion the starboard surf is way better then port side which is great for us ;)

Blakey13
07-09-2014, 11:58 AM
who made your bags

Stefan
07-09-2014, 12:32 PM
who made your bags

Already sent you this as a pm when I realized you also posted here...

Barefoot International, Mike Seipel made the bags, there are a couple of things to it though...

Be prepared to pay around 500 US$ per sac, doesn't really matter how they look, it's the custom price...

I mainly maxed out the room under the side seats up to the coffin storage lid/cooler lid.

The sacs stayed about 10% full until I added a 0.2bar check valve to the tank overflow that doesent open too easy when emptying, so emptying first takes place throug the sacs until the sacs pinch shut then the check valve opens to let air into the tank.
I also screwed a direct 90 degree elbow into the tank overflow so the pump did not have to lift the water from the sac too high as opposed to the straight outlet from the factory.

If you already have the factory bags you might want to skip all the work and go with them for now, but if you want the drawings and some pictures of the install or got any questions let me know...

Might want to check these videos for our starboard surf

https://vimeo.com/98339107

https://vimeo.com/98339107

Blakey13
07-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Surfing port side tips

Bakesbaked
07-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Ok so I went and got Some info. For the surf system they out dual 800lb sacs in the back and one 400lb sac upfront. I doubled this putting one 800 in the coffin one in the starboard side and one 400lb up in the walkway of the bow. This works great for two to three people out there.
But had an issue with the nose being a little too low if anyone sat in the bow. So I took the 400lb sac out of the equation and still enjoyed the wave it made. Wasn't as long but still powerful.

Also with the stock system got an alright wave at 10mph 100% starboard tab down and 10% center tab. But the wave was so soft couldn't do anything fun on my skim board.

Fly high does custom sacks and also have super low profile sacs that I was looking into doing and having those either replace the sacs they have or piggy back them into the system.

Ill post photos tomorrow when I go out.

Stefan
07-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Ok so I went and got Some info. For the surf system they out dual 800lb sacs in the back and one 400lb sac upfront.

Don't get confused:

The numbers you have there should be hard tanks and original sacs added together

http://www.mastercraft.com/img/gen-2-surf/gen2_x46.png