PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Function Questions

bzeller33
06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm a new owner of an 04 X-Star. I was reading through the manual and I have a question on the fill/empty process. The manual says not to run the pumps with the engine operating at under 1500 rpm. Does this mean I can FILL the tanks while underway at anything over 1500 rpm, including say 30 MPH?

clrussell
06-19-2014, 10:20 PM
I was told by the dealer that I got my 05 star from not to fill while at high speeds. Just off idle is fine, empty can be however. I usually fill mine with the boat off actually, it's not ideal but we do it while someone is swimming or whatever that way.

swatguy
06-19-2014, 10:39 PM
You can run the pumps sitting still under 1500 rpms. They just won't fill at their max rate. If you run all 3,are thumping on the stereo, have heater running, nav lights on, etc you may get a low voltage alarm hence the warning.

For optimal fill times sitting still kick the idle up. As you increase the idle rpms you will watch you voltage jump up to around 14.4 and the pumps will be getting the optimal juice to each. You can also fill while underway as well. Full throttle may induce some air, but otherwise any speed is fine around 30 or less

blackhawk
06-19-2014, 11:16 PM
+1 with Swatguy. If I am filling while idling, I bump up the throttle to 1000 rpm and just run 2 pumps at a time.