PDA

View Full Version : Squaw Valley

SteveO
11-25-2005, 08:41 AM
I am scheduled to go to Squaw valley for a business meeting Dec 5-9. We have several 1/2 days of free time and I was really looking forward to strapping on the boards. Unless they get a dump soon, it looks like skiing is out. Any suggestions from those that have been on what else we can do?

BrianM
11-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I used to go to Squaw a lot but it was always to ski. They have a huge village there now with lots of stuff to do. If you have a half day in the afternoon you can always take a ride to North Lake Tahoe or Reno to do some gambling.

If they do get the snow you definately want to give Granite Chief a shot if it is open. It is the highest chair and usually has some great early snow although it does take a lot to get it open. Olympic Lady Bowl and Cornice II are other can't miss runs. Of course there are the classic and famous Squaw runs Pallisades, KT22 and Headwall.

RackAtak
11-25-2005, 09:52 AM
If Squaw's not open, try Boreal Ridge. It is west of where you will be on Interstate 80 about 20 or so miles. They are making snow and will be open. In the past, they even had night skiing http://www.rideboreal.com/winter/index.html

BrianM
11-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Boreal (Boring Hill) will surely be open. If you are just looking to get out on the snow it is an OK place but if you are looking for a challenge you will be sorely disappointed. Boreal is an intermediate hill at the most with very short runs.

rodltg2
11-25-2005, 12:57 PM
dont be a wuss, waterski at the lake! :uglyhamme

east tx skier
11-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I love Squaw. My favorite place in Tahoe. If you're into Gambling, it's there. If you liek beer, it's there, too.

SteveO
12-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Made it to Squaw and they have enough snow to get to the slopes. Not enough to snow mobile, so I had a chance to get ou in the PM yesterday. I elected to snowboard and took my share of falls. Can you say sore today! I think I am going back to the long boards.