PDA

View Full Version : Snap-On cover

aprgriggs
09-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I was thinking of adding a snap-on bow and cockpit cover to my boat (or hopefully to the new one.) For those of you that have these...how do you like them? Also what are the snaps like and do they get in the way?

Any pictures would be great.
Thanks

AirJunky
09-08-2004, 05:01 PM
I bought a '94 MC that has already had a tonneau cover installed on it. The snaps are stainless & have aluminum pop rivets holding them in place. Occasionally I have to replace one on the windshield but never on the fiberglass. Two of the holes drilled into the fiberglass have cracks growing from them.
This particular cover is made of naugahyde & doesn't breathe at all so any moisture that is in the carpets or whatever, stays in the boat clouding the windshield & dash cluster. The cover is only on the top & does not cover the windshield or any of the vents. So bugs tend to get inside thru the vents & then die inside the boat. Very pleasant when you open the cover, let me tell ya.
If the cover were made out of Sunbrella & covered all the vents & glass, I might have a different opinion. But the way this one is setup was not very well thought out at all. So I prefer the drawstring cover I have made out of Sunbrella, which takes me about 1/2 the time to put on the boat. Both covers are rated for freeway use too.

captkidd
09-08-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't have a snap-on cover on my MC, but I had them on my old I/O. They were handy for riding around on rainy days, but that was about it. I hated trying to wax around all the snaps, and they certainly didn't add anything to the appearance. Just my :twocents:

Stritt
09-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I have had snap on covers for my last 2 boats, no problems. Snaps are easy and quick to get the cover on and off. Fits better when towing in less than ideal conditions.

WallenpaupackPA
09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
One excellent option is to have a custom cover made that will go over the bow and cockpit together and which snaps onto snaps that are screwed into the underside of the rubrail. That way, you get the benefit of a snap-on cover (which goes on and stays on much easier in the wind) but you don't have to look at the snaps (they are all but concealed).

NeilM
09-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Aprgriggs, I'm gonna get accused of being a broken record on the subject, but, to me, the snap-on covers are handier than a pocket in a shirt. I wouldn't be without them.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=57&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

These are made of Sunbrella, so they breathe quite a bit. I use them trailering (keeps *snow* out when trailering through the rockies), and I use them as my mooring cover when the boat's in the water overnight.

I've rarely had problems with snap studs - mine are all screw-in, but I've always had the dealer 'sub out' the work to the canvas place. That way, if a gelcoat crack eminates from a snap stud, the dealer fixes it under warranty -- worth the extra bucks to have the dealer sub it out IMO.

I have had a couple of snaps come off the canvases over the years, (mostly when people 'help' me remove the covers, but I carry a snap kit (Overtons, West Marine, etc) in with my tools, so it's a 5 minute fix.

aprgriggs
09-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Aprgriggs, I'm gonna get accused of being a broken record on the subject, but, to me, the snap-on covers are handier than a pocket in a shirt. I wouldn't be without them.

Bonus: They look good to. Nice looking boat NeilM

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Neil, does that bow cover go over your rubrail? Do you have pictures of the bow where we can see where your snaps are placed?

lakes Rick
09-09-2004, 11:42 AM
One excellent option is to have a custom cover made that will go over the bow and cockpit together and which snaps onto snaps that are screwed into the underside of the rubrail. That way, you get the benefit of a snap-on cover (which goes on and stays on much easier in the wind) but you don't have to look at the snaps (they are all but concealed).

Friends boat was done this way.. All of the above, plus NO SCREWS into the fiberglass to crack... If done right, you can also tow with this type of cover on......

AirJunky
09-09-2004, 12:50 PM
There are a few boats with these type of covers on Liberty these days. After the boat is a few years old & has sat in the sun, you can really see where the covers have been in place. The glass has discolored slightly where nothing covered it. It's looks like it's subtle enough that it can be buffed out though. Seems like a pain. At least look at the covers that go all the way over the gunnels & vents. Or don't park your boat outside.....

These are made of Sunbrella, so they breathe quite a bit. I use them trailering (keeps *snow* out when trailering through the rockies), and I use them as my mooring cover when the boat's in the water overnight.

I've rarely had problems with snap studs - mine are all screw-in, but I've always had the dealer 'sub out' the work to the canvas place. That way, if a gelcoat crack eminates from a snap stud, the dealer fixes it under warranty -- worth the extra bucks to have the dealer sub it out IMO.

I have had a couple of snaps come off the canvases over the years, (mostly when people 'help' me remove the covers, but I carry a snap kit (Overtons, West Marine, etc) in with my tools, so it's a 5 minute fix.

NeilM
09-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Neil, does that bow cover go over your rubrail? Do you have pictures of the bow where we can see where your snaps are placed?
Doug, no, I don't go over the rubrail, nor have I personally seen a boat done that way -- interesting idea, but I'd have to see it first... Rick or WallenpaupackPA any photos ?
Location of Bow snap studs are visible in this photo..

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Cool. Thanks, Neil.

sully
09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
I had mine done similiar to Neil but my snaps end at the back of windshield and the continue of the bottom of my rub rail.
I will get some photos tonight. (9-9-04)

Works great

Tom Wortham
09-09-2004, 05:36 PM
My vote is for a full "water-line" Sunbrella cover. The site below is the one that Brian shared on a different thread. He's got me sold on one.
Also found out that the "water-line" cover for an '86 covers the teak swim platform. (Bonus) :toast:
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/

AirJunky
08-11-2005, 11:48 PM
For those of you considering a snap on tonneau style cover..... please don't. I for one will never consider buying a boat that has snaps drilled into the glass. Heres a couple of piccs of what they will look like in a few years. The PO installed these over 10 yrs ago & now they have cracked.

JDK
08-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Doug, no, I don't go over the rubrail, nor have I personally seen a boat done that way -- interesting idea, but I'd have to see it first... Rick or WallenpaupackPA any photos ?

I'd also like to see pics.
I don't think rivets could be pulled into bottom of the rubber/plastic rub rails without using washers on the back sides. Maybe SS screws would work though.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
I was thinking of adding a snap-on bow and cockpit cover to my boat (or hopefully to the new one.) For those of you that have these...how do you like them? Also what are the snaps like and do they get in the way?

Any pictures would be great.
Thanks
I am going to get one too this winter. Let me know what you do, I would like to see some pictures if any one has any. And what colors do they come in?

Bert
08-12-2005, 01:07 AM
My cover is done this way. Works great, I can tow with it and use it for a mooring cover as well. Photos in my profile

Crash
08-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Here's my :twocents: .

My boat has a mooring cover that snaps on...works fine, never had problems with snaps, but I hate the snaps all over the boat! Pain to clean around and ruins the smooth look and finish.

My boat also has a snap in air dam 2'x3' vinyl piece that snaps in the walkway of the open bow...love this on winter days/late nights/caught in rain. On those inclimate times, the kids will hide behind it for warmth.

Something else I just learned yesterday, but haven't tried, is that supposedly if you countersink a fiberglass drilled hole and use silicone on the screw, the gelcoat won't crack...TMC would probably have better advice here...

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Here's my :twocents: .

My boat has a mooring cover that snaps on...works fine, never had problems with snaps, but I hate the snaps all over the boat! Pain to clean around and ruins the smooth look and finish.

My boat also has a snap in air dam 2'x3' vinyl piece that snaps in the walkway of the open bow...love this on winter days/late nights/caught in rain. On those inclimate times, the kids will hide behind it for warmth.

Something else I just learned yesterday, but haven't tried, is that supposedly if you countersink a fiberglass drilled hole and use silicone on the screw, the gelcoat won't crack...TMC would probably have better advice here...
This may sound like a stupid question, but why would you countersink a screw that has a button head over it.. Am I not reading this correctly, or am I an idiot, (really don't be afraid to tell me I am an idiot ;) )

Crash
08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
It was on the 'Ship Shape' show my TIVO records. By countersinking the top of the hole, the tiny stress cracks in the gel coat from the drilling process won't spread...regardless of what you put in the hole ;) . That's what they said...