PDA

View Full Version : Missing seacocks

Jayhawk
06-16-2014, 11:11 PM
I stumbled upon an article that stated these bronze ball valves are one of the most important parts of the boat. I checked and my ballast hoses are connected directly to the thru-hulls. I'm wondering if the PO removed them or if they weren't originally installed in my 2001 x star. Has anyone added these?

CruisinGA
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
My '01 X9 has cable operated "seacocks" with one-way valves built in. The controls are in the rear compartment behind the back seat.

Jayhawk
06-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks. That must have been the factory set up. Mine has those too. Problem is, there is a hose between the thru-hull and the valve (pic below). If the hose breaks or comes off the thru-hull or valve, there is no way to shut it off that I can tell. Luckily, I was still on the trailer when the bilge pump kicked off.

CruisinGA
06-16-2014, 11:43 PM
The hose or valve failed on your boat?

Jayhawk
06-16-2014, 11:50 PM
The hose became disconnected from the valve and water came pouring in. I didn't know where it was coming from so I headed to the dealer. He said the hose must have shrunk during the winter because he had a heck of a time reconnecting it. I am looking for a better solution and I believe those bronze ball valves connect directly to the thru-hulls and would be much safer.

CantRepeat
06-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I am under the impression that anything below the water line must have a close off valve. I was also told that it must be made of metal, but I see some people have the plastic PVC valves in their boat that were factory installed.

I used the brass ones.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52192

cwarndahl
06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
yes in my 01 x-10 had the same set up. jason at wake makers sold me brass through hull and seacocks. while i was at it i put tsunami 1250's.

Jayhawk
06-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Great write-up, thanks for the link. Interesting that it's a coast guard requirement and my boat doesn't have them. What connector did you use between the valve and the hose?

cwarndahl
06-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I srewed the pumps direct to the valves. The center behind the Rudder i kept a Johnson pump there tsunami wouldn't fit

CantRepeat
06-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Great write-up, thanks for the link. Interesting that it's a coast guard requirement and my boat doesn't have them. What connector did you use between the valve and the hose?

Just a straight 1inch barbed connect from wakemakers.com and some pipe dope.

http://www.wakemakers.com/1-inch-barb-adapter.html

Jayhawk
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Perfect. Thanks, Tim. I just ordered 3 of the ball valves and 3 of the 3/4" barbed fittings. I'm pretty sure my boat uses the 3/4" hoses. Also picked up an ACME 1235 and prop puller kit while I was there. I'll google pipe dope now.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Just a straight 1inch barbed connect from wakemakers.com and some pipe dope.

http://www.wakemakers.com/1-inch-barb-adapter.html

Did you also do that for the water intake for the raw water pump?

CantRepeat
06-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Did you also do that for the water intake for the raw water pump?

I have not. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while now. I'll probably source a brass barbed fitting for that one.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I have not. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while now. I'll probably source a brass barbed fitting for that one.

This thread got me thinking I should do that with mine. Just one more thing to add to the To Do List.:rant: