PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Switch not always engaging

LTWon
06-16-2014, 05:55 PM
I was having an issue this weekend with my boat. I was in neutral however my boat would not turn over. I would have the put the throttle in drive and then reverse and then back in neutral to get the boat to realize it was safe to start. Is there a switch in the throttle that is causing this and what is it called?

Table Rocker
06-16-2014, 06:31 PM
I was having an issue this weekend with my boat. I was in neutral however my boat would not turn over. I would have the put the throttle in drive and then reverse and then back in neutral to get the boat to realize it was safe to start. Is there a switch in the throttle that is causing this and what is it called?
The switch is on your transmission and is called the neutral safety switch.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Depending upon how old your boat is, you may need to disassemble the throttle assembly and give it a thorough cleaning. Remove all the old grease and lubricate properly. When I did that with my boat, it was a night and day difference.

MikeyOrange88
06-19-2014, 02:16 PM

I would suspect the issue is probably the shift cable adjustment at the transmission end as opposed to a bad neutral safety switch. The cable adjustment can be very slight between working correctly, and not always engaging the neutral safety switch. I had the same issue after shaft replacement work at the shop. The issue was intermittent, and I knew what needed to be done (ie. shift into reverse then back to neutral) but it sure scared the heck out of anyone else driving it. A turn or two on the adjustment nut is all it may take.