PDA

View Full Version : Hard to steer

tex
11-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Someone in the know-please help!
I have an 02 197. The steering is getting to be a female dog. I have greased the cable and it is not helping. I feel that a new cable is in order. I want to ditch that piece of $hit rudder with the hydrofoil/wedge looking thing on it. I have heard that you can now get a whole new rudder and housing that makes you feel like you are driving a Phat Caddy. Anybody know any specifics like $$$$?

prostar205
11-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Tex -

MYMC has the new '06 rudder for your boat for $190 plus installation. I'm getting one on my '02 X30 over Xmas break.

jkski
11-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I have an 02 197. The steering is getting to be a female dog. I have greased the cable and it is not helping. I feel that a new cable is in order. I want to ditch that piece of $hit rudder with the hydrofoil/wedge looking thing on it. I have heard that you can now get a whole new rudder and housing that makes you feel like you are driving a Phat Caddy. Anybody know any specifics like $$$$?

Tex,

I had a 02 PS197 and it drove like a dream, and I remember the dealer telling me that you should never do anything to the steering cable. With that said, I have had a couple of friends whose cable just got plain worn out and needed to be replaced.
As far as changing the rudder, the one you currently have provides lift to enhance your slalom and barefoot wake, if you do deceide to switch to the new one, you might consider having the dealer add a "hook" to your hull to provide the lift you'd otherwise lose. I actually had both on my 02 and it was a great wake, however, the nose rode lower in the water at slalom/barefoot speeds, which shot a lot more spray out the sides, nearly eliminating the ability to use a boom.
I've got an 05 presently and it has the "hooked" hull and a plain rudder, and the wake is a hair larger than my 02 was when I sold it.
Moral of the story: If you change rudders add the hook and you'll love the outcome!

brianlbrown
11-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Tex,

Check your PM....I can help you out....

Brian

Ric
11-28-2005, 08:30 AM
How many hours do you have Tex?

The new rudder is unbelieveable (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5542&page=2&pp=40) but I have no idea if you should do it without the hooked hull.

tex
11-28-2005, 11:36 AM
250 or so.

88 PS190
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I'd think you'd have to hook the hull if you eliminate your factory rudder (with the uplift tabs on it) If you don't add the hook the hull will be sitting differently.

tex
11-14-2007, 11:01 PM
My boat steers nice now!

prostar205
11-16-2007, 01:23 PM
My boat steers nice now!

Tex -

Did you do the replacement of the cable yourself or have the deal do it? What was the cost?

Davo
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Congrats, Tex...and it only took you two years. 8p

ProStar205 - I just priced a new cable and it was $162!!!!!!! I think I'll check around....this was part cost only.

woody
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Check the top plate of the rudder inside the boat if there's a grease nipple on it then you want to pump grease in there until it comes out outside boat around rudder assembly. Had a similar thing on our X2 (205V hull), dealer recommended regreasing every 50hours.

Then again on the 190 hard to turn equaled knackered steering cable, ordinarily it'd get replaced before it got too bad but I've had one snap before replacement part turned up and ending up rowing home at 6am that was one regime of late season fitness I ain't repeating.

tex
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Tex -

Did you do the replacement of the cable yourself or have the deal do it? What was the cost?
Dealer did it. I don't remember the cost because I had them throw the new rudder on too.

Davo
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
......on the 190 hard to turn equaled knackered steering cable, ordinarily it'd get replaced before it got too bad but I've had one snap before replacement part turned up and ending up rowing home at 6am that was one regime of late season fitness I ain't repeating.

I hear ya...it crossed my mind last Sunday out on the river when I was wrestlin with my steering wheel to navigate.....not to mention I was probably 20 miles from where the trailer was parked.

woody
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I was lucky our lake is maybe a mile long and I was half way out and that time of day there's no wind.

Davo
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
ProStar205....check MYMC website for the part if you're doing it yourself.

It's a fairly easy replacement from what my buds tell me so I'm gonna give it a go. Just ordered the part...

Brazos Bum
11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Given the thread title and author I thought this was surely going to be a drinking thread:D

BB

east tx skier
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Tex, did you have the hook done as well when you did the rudder?

tex
11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Tex, did you have the hook done as well when you did the rudder?
No hook for me. I don't slalom enough.

JoshBuzz
11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Brazos Bum, where are you located?? I'm up in Waco from time to time, I have a few really good friends that go to Baylor, and we're supposed to go ride her brothers X-45 up there soon, just wondering if ya knew em, I know it's a big river!!

Brazos Bum
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Brazos Bum, where are you located?? I'm up in Waco from time to time, I have a few really good friends that go to Baylor, and we're supposed to go ride her brothers X-45 up there soon, just wondering if ya knew em, I know it's a big river!!
We're upstream an hour or so from Waco.

JoshBuzz
11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Gotcha, well if you ever see an X-45 out there don't be scared to say hey!!! It's a sponsored boat, so it's wrapped in a buh kuh energy drink wrap!!

Davo
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Steering cable install was pretty easy. It helps to have another person to guide the cable when removing and replacing. It only took a couple hours with a little goofin off in between.

ShamrockIV
12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone have a pic of this new rudder of which u speak?

will it fit a 97 prostar?

tex
12-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone have a pic of this new rudder of which u speak?

will it fit a 97 prostar?
looks like a rudder.