PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start when hot

Terrell
06-15-2014, 12:38 PM
:confused: My Pro 205 won't start back up after it has set or 15 -20 minutes after it has been run. After it has time to cool off it starts right up. Any ideas?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Mikeg205 has spent some time addressing this issue. I believe he fixed his with a cooler thermostat. What thermostat are you running?

Terrell
06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Additional info. It is a 1995 Pro 205. I installed a new fuel pump last year. It is getting fuel because you can see it flowing from the injectors to the carb with the spark arrestor removed. I also installed a coil wire that shows the spark and the spark is good. It seems that something is getting hot and it won't restart. Then when it cools down it starts and runs fine.

André
06-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Engine Coolant Temp sensor could be bad sending too much gas when in operating temp.
Does the exaust smell rich to you?
Had the reverse problem.Couldn't start when cold but fine when warm.New sensor fixed it.
Good luck!

mikeg205
06-15-2014, 03:16 PM
if you are on the water - get some permatex and pull the t-stat.. when you get home get a 143/142 tstat and a new ECT sensor.

You can mitigate by idling longer before you shut off engine.

torbmi
06-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I had this problem with my '89 tristar - chased it all over with no fix. Then last spring I replaced the alternator belt, and noticed the old one seemed kind of loose. I made sure the new one was tightened up, and away went the problem. The boat runs about 5-10 degrees cooler, and my guess is that the loose belt was slipping just a bit (which probably gets even worse when it gets hot) and would not turn the impeller efficiently. In turn, this would cause the boat to run hotter than it's supposed to and would keep it from starting until it cooled down. I had zero problems all last summer.

Good luck. I hope I didn't jinx myself.