PDA

View Full Version : '90 Prostar 190 LTD Rehab

Ski Junkie
06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
My 1990 Prostar 190 Limited Edition is in need of a little TLC. She runs like a dream and is in good shape. Always covered and shored but she is starting to show her age. I am not mechanically gifted and am new to pretty much all of this. I was hoping I could get some feed back on how to go about getting this boat back to fighting shape. I am looking to mainly do cosmetic repairs and avoiding all things mechanical because that hasn't given me any trouble. Listed below are some of the items I would like to have addressed. I really don't know where to start with them and how to address them so your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

repair boats shine (wax never seems to be enough)
missing cupholder (anyone know where I can find replacements)
Fix fuel gauge
fix inaccurate speedometers (one is broke, the other is all over the place)
repair seats as they are coming apart
fix crack in teak platform

thatsmrmastercraft
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like a relatively small To Do List. Plenty of guys around here to give advice, as well as some great guys local to you in case you need a hand.

DemolitionMan
06-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Great looking boat!!!

stuartmcnair
06-12-2014, 05:24 PM
First thing to do is open up your browser and type www.skidim.com and start looking around. Give them a call if you have problems finding the parts you need as they know EVERYTHING.

CSPR
06-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Boat Shine: Sand it really well and get all of the oxidation off. Then put Meguiars Cleaner/Wax Skidim.com (part # 10705)
Cup Holders: Skidim (part # 122205)
Fuel Gauge: It is probably the sending unit. New ones are on Skidim. Don't know what your boat uses but it is probably Skidim (0512) or (12210)
Speedo: New ones on Skidim (20708 or 20808). If it just calibration on the one then I use my phone's GPS to calibrate. Suppose to have a 600m course and the time be within so number of seconds... Don't have the space to do that. Your problem could be a Pitot problem. They do get clogged, bent paperclip works well for cleaning them. If you need a replacement it is Skidim (1804)
Seats: Those seem like they would be tough for me to do myself so I just send them to an upholstery shop. I think a Mastercraft dealer will outsource if you give it to them.
Ski Platform: I've never had to do that myself but I would guess depending on the crack that Bondo might work.

CSPR
06-12-2014, 05:38 PM
For most all boat needs you can go to Skidim. I do all my own repairs/tuneups and have for the last 20 years I've had my boat, I have gotten 99% of the stuff I need from Skidim.

drschemel
06-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I've seen the fold out cup holders on various internet sites. Is that the one you are looking for? I replaced the plastic cup holders from the back of the doghouse with stainless one and they look much better if that is what you mean. Great boat! The reverse gel looks cool, but black shows the little scratches and dull spots a lot worse! Nothing that a little time with a buffer can't fix.

mikeg205
06-12-2014, 06:22 PM
awesome - another chicagoan! - Yes - where do you put in?

mike

Jerseydave
06-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Very, very nice '90 Limited! (I almost bought one that needed tons of work before I found my '93 Limited) I've always loved those, the pearl flake is so unique!

All good advise above. If you're not spending the dough for Perfectpass, you may want to consider a GPS speedo.

http://www.miamiskinautiques.com/product-p/perfectpass_precisionstar.htm

Ski Junkie
06-16-2014, 12:27 PM
awesome - another chicagoan! - Yes - where do you put in?

mike

I do most of my boating in St. Germain, WI but when I'm out in Chicagoland, I head down to the Kankakee River. How about yourself?