PDA

View Full Version : Conneticut - USA

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Anyone in the area? I have a relative that just moved to Connecticut, and I would love to take the boat with us when we visit them in a few months. Any lakes you could recommend we stop at? He is looking for a house on a lake right right now, but for the time being, he is renting. I am looking for a good ski lake that has public access, or one that I could recommend him look to move to. (So we have access too)
PM me if you do not want to disclose publicly YOUR hot spot.

Thanks.

Evan Jones
11-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Western, MA, but these are small states up here. A good set of Lakes I have heard about are on the Connecticut/Mass border in Southwick, MA. I think they are called the Congamon Lakes. Another option more easterly is also on the border. Webster Lake. Action Marine is the Mastercraft dealer on that lake. These are great if you are in Northern Conn. If you are down near NYC try Candlewood Lake near Danbury, Conn. Good Luck. Give me a shout if you ever come up North to Massachusetts.

Flatwaterfooter
11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Were abouts in CT. Charlton Ma. has a good ski club. I think it is South Charlton Resourvior ski club.

tommcat
11-22-2005, 06:29 PM
i'm in western MA, on the CT border. Springfield to be exact, we go out on the CT river and a few local ponds. let me know if you're in the area come spring time and maybe we can get together for a day.

tom

WilliM1940
11-23-2005, 04:29 PM
If you are coming all that way, why not go a little further to Lake George in NY? 32 miles long, 3 miles wide set in the Adirondacks would be a different experience for you. I gotta try this myself. Northern CT, Highland Lake in Winsted, mostly Mastercraft boats, Nautique. Not too many people ski, mostly boarding, tubing. 45 mph speed limit, pretty clean. Twin lakes in Canaan, bigger but 30 mph speed limit. Congamond is kinda dirty shallow and foul smelling I think, but a great party lake, has bars on it and such. Yeah, 30 miles of pristine mountain water......

Workin' 4 Toys
11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
To some up a bunch of questions in one.
It is not for me. I have a relative that just moved there from Texas. I won't get into why......
They are renting a house temporarily. I am trying to convince them to buy on a lake. So I am feeding the ideas you provide.
What town he is in now off the top of my head I do not know, but he says Southwick is the opposite end of the state. I think they intend on staying in the general area because of work. :huh:
Keep the ideas coming.
And if I do show up there in Spring/summer I will let you know and stop in for a cocktail or two:cool:.
So we shall see what else comes of this thread.

Jerseydave
11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
2 weeks ago I took a ride to Candlewood lake in the car......VERY NICE!
I even talked to a realtor there. Waterfront starts at $300K for a small cottage up to well over $1 million! The lake looks great, clean water with lots of "fingers" for skiing. Thinking about retiring up there..........in about 20 years!

2 other small nearby lakes are Lake Zoar and Lake Lillinonah, but I don't know much about them.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-24-2005, 10:49 AM
2 weeks ago I took a ride to Candlewood lake in the car......VERY NICE!
I even talked to a realtor there. Waterfront starts at $300K for a small cottage up to well over $1 million! The lake looks great, clean water with lots of "fingers" for skiing. Thinking about retiring up there..........in about 20 years!

2 other small nearby lakes are Lake Zoar and Lake Lillinonah, but I don't know much about them.
If realty is crazy like now for awhile, you might get that $300K place for $3M!!!
I doubt the price is a concern for him. It needs to be a house with lake access more than a acre or two. Again,
I am forwarding all the posts here to him.
Thanks. I'll let you know if he bites.....

AbunDiga909
12-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone, I'm w/ NJskier. I live in NYC, but my family has a place up in Westchester, NY, and from there we trailer up to Candlewood and Lillinonah Lakes. Both great places to ski, board, foil, and hang out. Candlewood is better for a day trip, and Lilli is better for some hardcore sports. Wood is much bigger and much more of a beautiful site to see, many little coves, rope swings, and attractions in general, etc... Lilli on the other hand is pretty boring, but you have the almost garuntee of VERY calm water. Wood can get pretty rough midday on weekends.

If anyone every plans on stopping by, let me know, I'm always looking to meet new people on the lake. :)

~Austin

Jerseydave
12-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Abun,

I'd be game for a long weekend on 'Wood with the family, but I don't know of any waterfront place to stay just on a weekend. I don't want to rent a house for a week. Any ideas?
Danbury looked kind of, well, crappy! Maybe a motel in another lakeside town? HELP!

AbunDiga909
12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I guess the Wood isn't really a tourist lake. Most of the places are either private clubs, or town parks, both I am not really allowed to go to myself. I know there's a couple of "nice" hotels, but they're like the ones 15 min away, not necissarily "on the lake." I know this season I plan on having some events up there. I'm in the process of making that happen right now, so that'll probably be the weekend to make your trip. Keep in touch, hopefully the more the merrier...

~Austin

Jerseydave
12-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Austin,

Thanks for the quick response. What town would those hotels be in that are 15 min. from the lake? That could be do-able to me. I could just launch the boat each day and take it back to the hotel each night.

What ramp do you recommend I use? I have a MC 230VRS.

Thanks,
Dave