PDA

View Full Version : New board recommendation

ATLX15
06-09-2014, 01:32 AM
I'm thinking of moving from my continuous rocker board to a hybrid three stage. Looking for some pop but soft landings. Any recommendations? In terms of skill level, I'm an intermediate and looking to get some air but not get crazy with it.

mitchelmilitiapres
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I've been on both sides of the spectrum when it comes to rocker patterns on boards. (LF Trip-continuous, Gator Savage-Abrupt 3-stage, LF Lyman-Blended 3-stage, and now HL Marek Blended Agressive 3-stage)

Of all the boards that I've ridden, the Marek is the best by far. I get all the pop I want, lands soft, and when you lock it on edge, it takes off like a rocket. I've been incredibly happy with this board. If you can pony up for it, I would got with the Nova Core. More durable and longer life. (less prone to breaks and flex pattern will last longer)

So are you looking for a more straight up pop? If so, you're definitely looking in the right direction. I am a little biased, but without a doubt you would be happy on it.

How old is your board you're currently riding? If it's an older board, a lot of times they just loose their snap relative to being new.

ATLX15
06-10-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm on a CWB right now, but I can't remember the make. It's about 5 years old.

76S&S
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm suprised by the lack of responses on this thread, so I'll add a little regarding what I've found for my preference. BTW, I'm an intermediate rider, 180's and working on my first invert.

I was riding a continous rocker LF Witness and it was okay for me. I tried the Ronix One and Parks and didn't like either of those. I went to the Hyperlite Murray in 2010 or 11 and really liked it. Started thinking of changing again last year and tried the CWB Marius but for a continous it was really slow to me. I went with the 2014 Murray which is now a blended three stage and really love it. It has better pop(but not abrupt), is still consistent and didn't seem to loose any speed over the older Murray. I don't go big or anything, I'll be 51 later this month, but am really liking this board.

Good luck with your search, if you can demo that is the way to go.

JamesL
06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I used to ride the witness and loved it then to a liquid force Harley, both were great boards . Switched to the marek and will never look back, cannot recommend this board enough for great pop and soft landings. I ride the Bio and apparently the only real difference is a slight bit of weight and when I talked to the guys at hyperlite they said its not really worth the extra money unless your at a pro level so bio will save you some cash

MI_Corey
06-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I also have the Marek. I like it a lot. If you are looking for abrupt pop you'll want more of an agressive 3'stage board but you lose a lot of speed with a board like that.

MI_Corey
06-10-2014, 12:51 PM
I'll also add that I'm bias because I hate three stage / slow boards haha.

ATLX15
06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I had looked at the Marek, but I had started to look in other directions when I saw it was a continuous rocker. How does the pop off the wake on the Marek compare to hybrid boards?

GoneBoatN
06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
So first I'm an intermediate and not a very good one at that. OK, so maybe I'm still in the beginner stage. I can do a heel side wake-2-wake, can ride switch semi-comfortably, just now learning 180's off one wake. I can do rails and 180s off the kickers at the cable park. Toe side wake-2-wake is still elusive to me.

A lot will depend upon your likes and dislikes. I started with a LF Witness but quickly outgrew it. The older Witness had substantial molded-in fins and as such is very "locked in" riding on the water. Now I like a board that is fairly loose that I can do surface spins or better yet not complete the entire rotation and still ride away. I also have an older LF Watson Classic. It too has molded in side fins but less substantial than the Witness. I also have a LF Harley. I actually get better pop off the Watson than I do off the Harley. I like the Harley much better all around because it is not as locked-in and I can ollies and ollie 180s much easier. As far as the lack of pop on the Harley, I attribute that to my lack of refined skills to hold the edge up the wake and boost off the top of it. So I continue to ride the Watson for now, just with the center fins remove.

You may want to take a look at the Shaun Murray Hyperlite board. I have a demo ride at the end of the month and it is the board I plan to try out. The edge is beveled along the center of the board to help with not catching an edge. It has removable fins that could be adjusted to the desired size/amount of fin to suit your needs. I talked to Shaun Murray and his advice is to use as small of a fin as you are comfortable riding. It is a three-stage but said to be "subtle".

If at all possible demo boards before buying them. Go to your local shop and see if any of the manufacturer is having any demo rides. My local shop offers a guarantee where if you don't like the board you get 100% credit towards any other board.

I've tried putting my boards in front of the TV while playing instructional videos, but they don't seem to be learning as well or as fast as I would like them to!

MI_Corey
06-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I also will be demoing a new Hyperlite in a couple weeks at experience. I'd like to try the Murray but I'm more debating between trying the Webb or the Byerly BP.

76S&S
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Since you will have the chance, demo the Murray. The 14 model is very different from past years.

ATLX15
06-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Any other thoughts on the LQ Watson? Ambush Board Co. is recommending that over the Marek in terms of getting more pop.

76S&S
06-11-2014, 09:26 AM
My son rode the Watson Classic for years and really liked it, but I think it is a slightly different shape than the Watson.

mitchelmilitiapres
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I had looked at the Marek, but I had started to look in other directions when I saw it was a continuous rocker. How does the pop off the wake on the Marek compare to hybrid boards?

Pops great! It's a hybrid rocker. Continuous in the middle, 3-stage towards tip and tail. So you get the pop of a 3-stage and soft landings (no sticking) and speed of a continuous. IMO you shouldn't shy away from this board. It's definitely one of the most popular Hyperlite boards and has been for several years for good reason.

Not trying to make you drink the coolaid or anything, but if you have a chance, strap in on and you will not be disappointed.

mitchelmilitiapres
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I've tried putting my boards in front of the TV while playing instructional videos, but they don't seem to be learning as well or as fast as I would like them to!

I'm with you there buddy! I just feel like my splashes are getting bigger.

GoneBoatN
06-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm with you there buddy! I just feel like my splashes are getting bigger.

:uglyhamme

GoneBoatN
06-11-2014, 12:52 PM
My son rode the Watson Classic for years and really liked it, but I think it is a slightly different shape than the Watson.

Yep, different. LF brought back the (Watson) Classic for 2014. It still has the molded-in fins on the outside and removable center fin. Great board but I would prefer to have removable/adjustable outside fins.

The Watson (non-classic) is different. If you go to LF website and play the videos they go over the differences.

swatguy
06-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I love speed and love the kick of a 3 stage board. I was a huge huge fan of the old Hyperlite Premier. This combination is very very hard to find. It's more popular these days with hybrid rockers being all the new rage.

I ride a Ronix Mana about the closest thing I can find to speed,pop, and landings.
The close Second was a Ronix Parks. The parks was the most consistant popping and most forgiving 3stage board I have ever stepped on. I just preferred the speed of the mana and the abrupt kick. The LF Watson is another board with legendary blend of speed and pop. There is reason the original shape is still around.

I do like a little more locked in feel on my edges. I have tried all the slingshot models thinking flex would give me the softer landings and just didn't like the lack of snap off the wake or the loose feel. Lots of people love it though.

I was a huge fan of the CWB line of the Absolute and Transcend when they came out. They were one of the first with the subtle 3 stage and aggressive continuous rocker lines I always like. My local shop that I support dropped CWB for Ronix though so I made the swap. Otherwise I think I would
still be a CWB guy.

ATLX15
06-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I ended up buying a LQ Watson. Price was right. Haven't had a chance to try it out good yet, but was definitely getting more pop on some trial runs with it. Thanks for everyone's help.

76S&S
06-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Congrats and be sure to let us know how you like it.

ATLX15
06-23-2014, 10:26 AM
The Watson was night and day different from my old CWB board. Lots more pop without having to work any harder to get it. Ton of fun.