PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Wont Fill on 2008 X14

Ferg58
06-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Just tried to go for my first run of the season and noticed the starboard and front ballast tanks wouldn't fill (port filled and emptied easily within minutes). The LED lights on the switches blink twice, wait a few seconds and blink twice again (on repeat). They are Jabsco pumps I opened them up and nothing is blocking the impellers (yellow ones) but they wont turn which tells me it might be an electrical issue which is keeping the motor from running. Any suggestions?

sand2snow22
06-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Take the port one out and plug it into the ones that don't work. This will tell you if the pumps are bad or not..

potsie
06-08-2014, 07:01 PM
if you have the pumps out load them with 12 volts and see what you get

Ferg58
06-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Take the port one out and plug it into the ones that don't work. This will tell you if the pumps are bad or not..

I plugged the port pump into the starboard wiring and it still worked. Plugged the starboard pump into the port wiring and it still didn't work. Does this mean I will need to buy a new pump?

blackhawk
06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
When you switched the starboard pump into the port wiring, could you hear the motor running at all? If you hear the motor running but it is not pumping water, you could just have a stripped impeller hub.

Ferg58
06-23-2014, 04:46 PM
When you switched the starboard pump into the port wiring, could you hear the motor running at all? If you hear the motor running but it is not pumping water, you could just have a stripped impeller hub.

No motor did not run at all. No sound

Ironhorse
06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
I had the same issue with my KGB pump and had to replace the pump. Wakemakers can hook you up.

CantRepeat
06-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Let me guess, the pump is mounted with the impeller in the up position?

I'd say get the green impellers but when you order new pumps they will come with the green ones.

Ironhorse
06-23-2014, 06:29 PM

I'd say get the green impellers but when you order new pumps they will come with the green ones.

You are correct! At least mine is.

Ferg58
06-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Are you suggesting that I take the impellers out and turn them upside down or turn the whole pump apparatus upside down? Right now the way it is mounted is with the motor on the bottom and impeller on the top.

GoneBoatN
06-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Are you suggesting that I take the impellers out and turn them upside down or turn the whole pump apparatus upside down? Right now the way it is mounted is with the motor on the bottom and impeller on the top.

I think what is being suggested is that the pump mounted in that position has the possibility (and some/many have experienced it) that the pump will leak into the motor causing the motor to fail. The fix is to reorient the pump, this way it does not leak into the motor.

blackhawk
06-23-2014, 10:19 PM
The Jabsco pumps have a lip seal that presses into the pump body underneath the impeller. This lip seal is what keeps the water from leaking out of the pump body into the motor. I don't think anyone ever replaces these lip seals. They should be replaced every 2 to 3 seasons, just depends on how much you use your pumps. When you mount the pumps with the motor on top, gravity is your friend and keeps the water out of the motor. Only downside is that on some boats, mounting the pumps upside down makes the impellers difficult to get to.

MIHokie
06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Any resolution to this problem?

I know I am new, but I am having the same issue with my 09 X2. From what I have found, the two blinks indicate an overcurrent fault (one blink - tanks are empty, 2 blinks-overcurrent, 3 blinks - open fault, 4 blinks - low voltage). The overcurrent condition is probably from the motor being seized due to water drips as everyone has mentioned. I am going to try to break it loose by rotating the impeller/shaft by hand. If that doesn't work, I am thinking of the hammer to the seized starter trick (it can't get more broken than it already is).

tr6coug
06-26-2014, 06:19 PM
This happened to one of my ballast pumps. The pump head is stupidly mounted above the motor which is not water tight. I took the motor apart and the bearings at the bottom of the motor were rusted. The case bottom was corroded as well.

You could rebuild it with the parts that blackhawk sells.