PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus- Ringing in the ears

mitch
11-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey all, Brother-in-law (45 y/o) complained of this problem over the weekend and he's not much of an internet guru, so I told him I'd poke around some, and I thought you crazy bunch of MC nuts would be a good place to start. Seems to be a lot of info out there, but little to no cure from the little poking I've done. Thanks for any info!

Leroy
11-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm not a doctor, but I own a MasterCraft......

Just a quick internet search, looks like there are several different causes of the disease and then a range options.
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/tinnitus.cfm

Has he seen a doctor?

whitedog
11-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I've had it for years. :( Nothing to be done in my case. Nerve damage from a gun backfire when I was about 12 yr old. Some days it is worse than others.

mitch
11-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm not a doctor, but I own a MasterCraft......

Just a quick internet search, looks like there are several different causes of the disease and then a range options.
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/tinnitus.cfm

Has he seen a doctor?

No, but it's on his list of things to do. Thanks for the link

canadianskier
11-21-2005, 03:38 PM
my wife has the same problem, doctor says live with it, no cure, hers is just a slight ringing, has trouble sleeping sometimes

east tx skier
11-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I'll get a nice ring/howl when I'm skiing lately. Figure I've got a bit of water in there and the wind is hitting everything just right.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I'll get a nice ring/howl when I'm skiing lately. Figure I've got a bit of water in there and the wind is hitting everything just right.

Thats your prop cavitating Eastie ;) You better check and make sure its not dinged or bent:uglyhamme

ematthew
11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Have him see an ENT doctor. There are some causes of tinnitus which are reversible if treated early.

JimN
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Doug- you know the sound when you blow across the top of a Coke bottle? Is that what you hear? :guitar:

bigmac
11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Have him see an ENT doctor. There are some causes of tinnitus which are reversible if treated early.

Absolutely correct. Or if not reversed, it's at least treatable in many cases.

Blair
11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
get it checked out..... being in school right now to learn how to treat cancer, i have become quite parinoid.... and that is one of the early warning sings of some types of brain cancer.

now not to totally freak you all out cancer is not the only cause of it but it is one of them... just be on the safe side and get it checked out

Blair

stevo137
11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
I've had it for years. :( Nothing to be done in my case. Nerve damage from a gun backfire when I was about 12 yr old. Some days it is worse than others.
Reminds of when I was around that age and lived on a farm.
My Marine bro threw a paint can out, put two shells in his DB 12 gauge and told me to just point at the can and pull both triggers at the same time.
Bastard! :D

suedv
11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
I agree, get it checked out by an ENT. I've had ringing and hearing loss in my right ear for about 30 years. I was in high school at the time it started. It was rather frightening to me because in addition to the hearing I was so dizzy I couldn't hardly walk.

They checked for all kinds of things before deciding I had blood clot. Its been so many years I don't remember what I took for it, but I was on medication for quite some time. It helped clear the problem with being dizzy but the hearing and ringing are still the same. My :twocents: you don't want to mess around with problems in your head.

lsupcar
11-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Is it a new problem? Taking too much aspirin can cause it. If it persists have it seen to. Bill Z

mitch
11-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks all, I just sent him a copy of this thread

Yes it is a new problem and he's working to make a Dr appt. now Thx

east tx skier
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Jim, figured as much. Don't remember noticing it before this season though.

jimmer2880
11-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Wow - I'm impressed this thread hasn't been jacked yet.

So - in good sport. Don't you just love it when carving on a hot slalom ski on a butter-glass day & hearing the fin start to howl! That will throw a Big Arse grin on my face every time! :woohoo: