PDA

View Full Version : Help trouble-shooting Wetsounds 420

brucemac
06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I was working on my boat yesterday and wanted to listen to some music. I turned on the stereo and nothing. No gain hiss, no volume of any kind.

I checked all the fuses and they were fine. I even for good measure replaced the fuse on the WS420 just to be sure.

I bypassed the 420 by connecting the in-boat speakers directly from the HU to the amps and I have sound again.

Is there something else I can check on the 420 (possibly an internal fuse or something that I'm missing)?

I do have power to the 420, the lights are on. Just wondering if there could be something else I'm missing here. I did take my boat in to get it seasoned and am wondering if they somehow accidentally did something.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

KnoxX2
06-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Hello Brucemac it's been a few years!
I think the only thing it could be is the RCAs? I would retrace the RCAs and see if maybe they accidentally were removed and not reinstalled correctly! Only other possibility is a bad 420 and then it's a call to Wetsounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brucemac
06-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Hey Knox! Hope all is well. Yeah, I'll take a closer look this afternoon. I was wondering if maybe they somehow pulled the ground wire, but my non-existent 12V knowledge can't recall if I'd even get lights on the unit without a ground. I sure hope it's something easy, because it was working just fine a month ago and the only thing that has been done is my service.

MLA
06-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Is the source selector on the 420 by chance set to AUX?

KnoxX2
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Without a ground you will get no lights. So if you have power then you are good there. Are your AMPS working correctly also is it possible that someone pushed the input button on the 420 changing it to AUX?

brucemac
06-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah I have a iSimple iPod/iPhone charger connected to 420 aux, so it's not that. I've tried aux/tuner/cd, etc. Nothing. Amps are working fine because when I bypass the 420 and connect the inboat RCA's to the RCA's that run back to the HU I get audio. I'm kind of scratching my head here because like I said, it worked just fine before I brought it in.

MLA
06-08-2014, 02:45 PM
EQ lights up, check
no output from any of the 3 zones with the source on main or AUX, check
Voltage level at the EQ? I know it has enough to power up, but know what the voltage reading actually is.

brucemac
06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Solved. 2 Amp 'Fast Acting' fuse inside 420 itself. Age, mechanic's batteries load testing or kids likely culprit. Thanks for the replies.

MLA
06-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Ive come across a blown internal use on a previous gen WS-420 as well, but the EQ did not come on.

sand2snow22
06-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Turn the main volume up :)

KnoxX2
06-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I am surprised you had power with a blown fuse! Glad it's worked out.

brucemac
06-21-2014, 05:57 PM
so this is recurring issue...

fast acting fuse inside keeps blowing. Anybody have any idea why that would be happening?

tried a slightly larger fuse, even tried slow blow. it's blowing right when I push the power button...