PDA

View Full Version : So Long...

bcampbe7
11-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Today is the day my wife and I say so long to our Land Rover.
Our '99 Discovery II is approaching 100K miles and I think it is time to let her go.

I cleaned it up yesterday, put a sign in it, parked it on the main drag through town and within 2 hours I had a guy call. He and his wife had been looking for a while and hadn't found anything in as good condition as ours. He came by the house and he and his wife test drove it for about 3 hours (he asked if he could take it over night). Came back and said "we will take it tomorrow."

I didn't expect it to sell so fast! Now I need to find something to replace it... :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Today is the day my wife and I say so long to our Land Rover.
Our '99 Discovery II is approaching 100K miles and I think it is time to let her go.

I cleaned it up yesterday, put a sign in it, parked it on the main drag through town and within 2 hours I had a guy call. He and his wife had been looking for a while and hadn't found anything in as good condition as ours. He came by the house and he and his wife test drove it for about 3 hours (he asked if he could take it over night). Came back and said "we will take it tomorrow."

I didn't expect it to sell so fast! Now I need to find something to replace it... :eek:
Well, there are more tips and trade secrets on this forum, you should have no trouble finding out what others would tell you to get....

bigmac
11-21-2005, 08:43 AM
...you should have no trouble finding out what others would tell you to get....

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

bcampbe7
11-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Well, there are more tips and trade secrets on this forum, you should have no trouble finding out what others would tell you to get....

:uglyhamme

That's for sure... But, that's just one reason why this forum is so great.

We have something in mind, but we need to hash out the pricing.

6ballsisall
11-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Beau, congrats on the fast sale! I have a Dodge Durango for sale :D j/k ;)

milkmania
11-21-2005, 09:07 AM
congrats on the sale....

I couldn't sell matches to an Eskimo:(

I was really concerned with the title of this thread!
We enjoy your company here, and I was gonna get upset if you were leaving:rant:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Who's leaving.........???;) (is this one of those misleading questionaires?)

sizzler
11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
:twocents: if you liked the disco11 ,,you'll love the disco III..... i tested one a while ago.....very nice...just not as big as my amazon.....

bcampbe7
11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
congrats on the sale....

I couldn't sell matches to an Eskimo:(

I was really concerned with the title of this thread!
We enjoy your company here, and I was gonna get upset if you were leaving:rant:

I was purposely mis-leading with my title. Shame on me... ;)

:twocents: if you liked the disco11 ,,you'll love the disco III..... i tested one a while ago.....very nice...just not as big as my amazon.....

I do like the Disco III (LR3 this side of the pond). It's a bit out of our price range though. Maybe some day I will again own a Land Rover, I don't know...

Kevin 89MC
11-21-2005, 11:47 AM
If you do any amount of off roading, try the other "Land . . ." vehicle - the Land Cruiser! Gas mileage on them isn't great (12-14 IIRC), but they are really great on and off road. I have a '96, and have driven the newer generation with the V8. The current generation started in '98, and those are relatively inexpensive these days. I've had a bit of fun lightly off roading - it's addictive! Not knocking the disco, but the Land Cruiser has been extremely reliable - 110,000 miles and it runs like a top! (It tows the boat great, too)
Good luck with whatever you get.
Kevin

Leroy
11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Well farewell to your long time friend and glad you are staying Beau! I had same reaction as everyone else when I read the title!

milkmania
11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
yeah, he's such a teasehttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/slap.gif

JDK
11-21-2005, 12:55 PM
If you do any amount of off roading, try the other "Land . . ." vehicle - the Land Cruiser!

Nice, and you can get a diesel too.

sizzler
11-22-2005, 02:27 AM
i've got the diesel(4.2 ltr turbo diesel) in the amazon.....same shape as your lexus470..great reliable motor

BriEOD
11-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I got a little concerned when I saw the title as well. :rant:

So Beau, what are you considering buying? Ford Fusion? :)

bcampbe7
11-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I got a little concerned when I saw the title as well. :rant:

So Beau, what are you considering buying? Ford Fusion? :)

Well the guy didn't come up with money yesterday, but said he would today. :mad: We'll see...

/puts flame suit on

My wife and I are looking at the 2006 Honda Pilots EX-L with Navigation. Good gas mileage and great reliability. It will also pull the boat the 12 miles round trip that I need it to. :cool:

stumbledog
11-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Well the guy didn't come up with money yesterday, but said he would today. :mad: We'll see...

/puts flame suit on

My wife and I are looking at the 2006 Honda Pilots EX-L with Navigation. Good gas mileage and great reliability. It will also pull the boat the 12 miles round trip that I need it to. :cool:

But Will it pull it out of the water at the ramp? Good Luck!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
2006 Honda Pilots
My wife says those are "CUTE". Good luck with it.
Isn't Honda the one with that massive 2006 recall because the throttles were sticking open?

bcampbe7
11-22-2005, 09:25 AM
My wife says those are "CUTE". Good luck with it.
Isn't Honda the one with that massive 2006 recall because the throttles were sticking open?

Not sure...
If you have a link I would appreciate it...
I know that my 99 Land Rover had this recall. I have never had a problem with it though (knocking on wood).
We have not bought anything yet.
We are also considering a Toyota 4 runner.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:32 AM
It was on the news I think Friday morning. I am almost positive it was Fox Chicago. (my wifes favorite morning show) I am not sure of the link. I only remeber the Honda part and laughing they had soo many '06s out already. And I can't imagine the panic buying something brand new and having the throttle stick.

(Something I fear having no throttle cable on my vehicles I must add)
I was driving someone else's Toyota pickup, the tiny one, in 1996 it was a 1995, it was about -10 degrees outside and the throttle stuck. Lucky for me it was a manual trans, popped it out of gear, and it bounced off the rev limiter about 10 times before I could grab the key. Opened the hood, hit the thottle with my hand and snapped back. Not sure if it was a problem, or just frozen. I gave it back to him and he traded it in about 3 months later. Never looked into that one since.

jsonova99
11-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Say it ain't so! Does that leave me as the only Rover owner on the board now? Mine's a 2000 and going strong (only 60k miles). She's going in for a brake system flush this afternoon. Did you ever consider picking up a used P38 Range Rover? You can get the 2002 (final year) in the mid $20k's I think with fairly low mileage. They can be an acquired taste I guess, especially when it comes to service bills. Although a properly maintained Rover is more reliable than people give them credit for. :twocents:

bcampbe7
11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Say it ain't so! Does that leave me as the only Rover owner on the board now? Mine's a 2000 and going strong (only 60k miles). She's going in for a brake system flush this afternoon. Did you ever consider picking up a used P38 Range Rover? You can get the 2002 (final year) in the mid $20k's I think with fairly low mileage. They can be an acquired taste I guess, especially when it comes to service bills. Although a properly maintained Rover is more reliable than people give them credit for. :twocents:

I hear ya JS. I have babied the thing and it has treated me fairly well. However, It is approaching 100K miles and it's time to move on. We had always said that we would keep it forever. I think they are a classic looking vehicle and will always look good. We just can't afford to keep it and get something new. :( I'm am pretty certain I will regret selling the thing.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
A brake system flush?!?! Are there some details you failed to mention?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I hear ya JS. I have babied the thing and it has treated me fairly well. However, It is approaching 100K miles and it's time to move on. We had always said that we would keep it forever. I think they are a classic looking vehicle and will always look good. We just can't afford to keep it and get something new. :( I'm am pretty certain I will regret selling the thing.
Especially going into a honda SUV...... Sorry it's my true colors coming out......

bcampbe7
11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
It was on the news I think Friday morning. I am almost positive it was Fox Chicago. (my wifes favorite morning show) I am not sure of the link. I only remeber the Honda part and laughing they had soo many '06s out already. And I can't imagine the panic buying something brand new and having the throttle stick.

(Something I fear having no throttle cable on my vehicles I must add)
I was driving someone else's Toyota pickup, the tiny one, in 1996 it was a 1995, it was about -10 degrees outside and the throttle stuck. Lucky for me it was a manual trans, popped it out of gear, and it bounced off the rev limiter about 10 times before I could grab the key. Opened the hood, hit the thottle with my hand and snapped back. Not sure if it was a problem, or just frozen. I gave it back to him and he traded it in about 3 months later. Never looked into that one since.

There is nothing here on it:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

But I don't know how quick they get there website updated.

EDIT:

Found it WFT. It is on the 2006 Honda Civic. Thanks for the notice though, it still may be something I need to consider on the Pilot.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Did a search first site to come up.... sorry it was a civic...

Honda Motor Co. recalled about 25,000 Civics on Thursday because the accelerator pedal was improperly installed on some 2006 models, which could cause a crash.

If the pedal is improperly installed, it could come loose, cause the throttle to stick and raise the potential for a crash. Honda spokesman Sage Marie said there have been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue in the popular-selling vehicle.

The "vast majority" of the 25,298 vehicles under recall in the United States have not yet been sold, Marie said. A dealer inspecting the vehicles discovered the problem in late September and reported it to the automaker, leading to an internal investigation, he said.

sizzler
11-22-2005, 09:44 AM
this was my last landy.....1971,LWB safari....12 seater with overdrive...60mph top speed.....considerably less with the boat on the back :D

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=855&cat=500&ppuser=605

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
EDIT:

Found it WFT. It is on the 2006 Honda Civic. Thanks for the notice though, it still may be something I need to consider on the Pilot.

Whoops, we must have searched then posted at the same time. I knew I saw it, but if it isn't something I own or am shopping for, i don't find myself listening too closely to.

jsonova99
11-22-2005, 10:05 AM
this was my last landy.....1971,LWB safari....12 seater with overdrive...60mph top speed.....considerably less with the boat on the back :D

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=855&cat=500&ppuser=605

That's awesome, I love the old series Rovers

jsonova99
11-22-2005, 10:07 AM
A brake system flush?!?! Are there some details you failed to mention?

It's part of the Rover maintenance schedule, a full brake fluid flush every 30k miles. I never said these things were easy to maintain, but they will last if you buck up and keep everything up to date.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2005, 10:16 AM
It's part of the Rover maintenance schedule, a full brake fluid flush every 30k miles. I never said these things were easy to maintain, but they will last if you buck up and keep everything up to date.
That's something I have not heard before. I wonder why.

(well except for the hydraulic brakes systems on boat trailers..;) )