PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a prop

Leroy
11-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the inputs, I removed pin, nut, then put liquid wrench on for 4 days at multiple times. I wacked it with hammer and nothing! In storage now until next year, maybe I need to locate a puller. Other than forgetting stabil, it was the one thing that stumped me during winterization.

Leroy, you don't want to hear this...

I have had those suckers stick like they were glued on.

Pull the pin, remove the nut, place a 12" Cresent wrench behind the prop, tap gently (right, I hit that sucker for whatever it's worth) with a 4 pound hammer, and the prop will pop off (sooner or later). Heat induction, gobble-di-goop, etc is all OK but I just choose to forego the foreplay and get right down to hitting it hard... Been using this engineered technique for years. Please do not try this at home, but it does work... :headbang:

Spray some liquid wrench, break free, or WD-40 at the forward end of your prop and let it soak for awhile, then whack it. I've got a Harmonic Prop puller and that's usually what it takes if the prop has been on the shaft for an extended period.

Remember to put some grease on the inside of the prop prior to installing it.

bigmac
11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the inputs, I removed pin, nut, then put liquid wrench on for 4 days at multiple times. I wacked it with hammer and nothing! In storage now until next year, maybe I need to locate a puller. Other than forgetting stabil, it was the one thing that stumped me during winterization.

My prop shaft is splined. I pulled the pin, unscrewed the bolt, and the prop fell off into my lap. Ouch...

If you have a tapered/keyed prop shaft, I'm pretty sure you're gonna need a puller.

darkbrown
11-20-2005, 02:06 PM
the puller is the only way to go,.........it solves the "rudder in the way problem", and removes the prop with little effort, and no risk of prop damage. price a prop and a puller, seems a wize investment.
:twocents: .... is just mine

NatesGr8
11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
I heated mine up with a heat gun for about 5 minutes and it fell right off.

sten76
11-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Puller, and a hammer. That's all you need to pop it off.

6ballsisall
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
hmmm..... I have never pulled a prop for the winter. Is this something I should be doing?? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Give me a jingle and I will bring my kit up and pull that prop. My kit is very much like the others. Sledge, fork, beer and some gentle taps. Hasn't failed me yet! :D
Hoosier

Hoosier Bob
11-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Jeff,
Ole Leroy still has not put his Acme on from the group buy! That (I assume) is the only reason for the late season pulling of the prop.
QUOTE=jrandol]hmmm..... I have never pulled a prop for the winter. Is this something I should be doing?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Leroy
11-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Bob; I felt like I was adequate in all of those areas, but I guess I need training! Sledge, check, fork, maybe, beer, definitely, gentle taps, more like hit as hard as I can!

I'll see if the guy will let me in during the winter or else will be summerization time before I see it again.
I've pulled many things in my life and always succeeded. That didn't sound quite right.....

Give me a jingle and I will bring my kit up and pull that prop. My kit is very much like the others. Sledge, fork, beer and some gentle taps. Hasn't failed me yet! :D
Hoosier