PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Owner

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone, I bought my first 1981 mastercraft friday afternoon, took it to the lake an spent the whole day on it. After having it out I have a couple questions.

1. is my bilge pump seems to be just flopping around the bottom of my boat. Can anyone explain where or how to locate this?

2. it seems that my drivers side manifold is leaking when I'm driving. the stringer on the outside of the motor mount is getting water and also the back of the engine cover is getting wet on that side.

I'm not sure if the is the correct place to ask these questions I'm new here but bare with me. Thank you for all your help.

Thanks

neil.anderson63
06-01-2014, 07:53 PM
You're in the right place. Welcome to TT. I'm sure one of the "classic's" guys will be along pretty quick with some helpful info.
Better post pictures - We love pics!!

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Here they are. I hope I did it right

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 08:18 PM

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 08:19 PM

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 08:20 PM

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Please don't be to hard on me. This is my first boat and I know it needs a little TLC but that's why I'm here for all your help.

f925
06-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Please don't be to hard on me. This is my first boat and I know it needs a little TLC but that's why I'm here for all your help.

Welcome! Where exactly is your leak? Is it between the upper and lower sections of your exhaust risers, between risers and block, or risers and exhaust hose? Pictures are worth 1 billion words around here! That is a good looking S&S. There are several ways to run her on the trailer for diagnostic reasons. Most of us use a 5 gal bucket and a garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil.anderson63
06-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Nice S&S. You'll have a blast reconditoning this boat. You'll be suprised how far elbow grease goes with these boats.

81mastercraft
06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure where the leak is at but thanks for
Telling me know about the dry run that will help a ton! Know anything about the bilge pump?

TN Skier
06-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Welcome! You'll definitely enjoy your ownership and spending the time to getting to know your boat...

f925
06-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure where the leak is at but thanks for
Telling me know about the dry run that will help a ton! Know anything about the bilge pump?

Mine is located next to my drain plug in the center of the hull. Directly under my alternator. I do not know for sure on the S&S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81mastercraft
06-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah that is where mine is located to it was just broke off from the base, I used a couple zip ties to keep it right side up for the moment. Now I just have to figure out where the leak is coming from on the drivers side (starboard). how hard is it to put a new put a new exhaust replaced?

Olaff
07-17-2014, 12:36 AM
I have an '82. My bilge pump is screwed to the thickened fiberglass hull pad that the middle tracking fin is directly under.
HOWEVER, I have found that the deepest spot in the hull when it is sitting level is actually forward of the pylon mount. I'm thinking of relocating mine or installing a second in the front.

Olaff
07-17-2014, 12:43 AM
For anyone else who comes along, I have seen some inconsistency in some of the styling of these boats mid-70's to mid-80's.
For example, 81MasterCraft's windshield is the flat panel and triangular side frame style. My '82 has the single piece curved plexi. I saw a pic of a '79 (poster "Vipermeat") that looked just like my '82.
Then when I see an '83 it's back to the flat panel. What's going on here?

Olaff
07-17-2014, 12:45 AM
BTW 81MC; my engine is painted gold as well, I was wondering if that was original. Looks Locke it was!

tph
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
For anyone else who comes along, I have seen some inconsistency in some of the styling of these boats mid-70's to mid-80's.
For example, 81MasterCraft's windshield is the flat panel and triangular side frame style. My '82 has the single piece curved plexi. I saw a pic of a '79 (poster "Vipermeat") that looked just like my '82.
Then when I see an '83 it's back to the flat panel. What's going on here?

I think MC was moving towards the newer deck and windshield. through these years and offered the newer deck and flat panel windshield as a "deluxe" option.

homer12
07-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Nice looking boat 81Mastercraft! Welcome to TT as I haven't been around long either. You'll find a wealth of info here and that tinkering on your boat becomes addicting with a never ending list of "to-do's"... :)

81mastercraft
07-17-2014, 03:00 PM
I will have to post new pics tonight as I've tried my hand in a little wet sanding an buffing, my family an I have been trying to enjoy the boat as much as we can but do to bad/chilly weather in MI its been hard too.

Olaff - I also believe that the Gold is the original color, have you moved your bilge pump? I have yet to replace mine. I do have a problem with my boat tacking to the right, when I bought the boat the owner told me that he got the boat from a guy that ran a slalom course but I'm starting to believe that was untrue. I think I have a leak in my driverside (starboard) exhaust. Still trying to figure out if I can pull the whole unit out as one and replace like that.

CBRENT
07-17-2014, 04:09 PM
@ 81mastercraft - Welcome to TT! I like that color combo! Where in MI are you? I'm in Highland.

81mastercraft
07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I live in Fennvile Mi it's about 45 mins south of Grand Rapids

Double D
07-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Your close enough to bring that baby down to Buckeye Bash 5 in August.

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Olaff
07-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Yep, mine pulls to the right as well. From what I understand it's what's called preload. Essentially eliminates the dead, neutral spot of a balanced track which would cause the driver to constantly turn left then back right as a slalom skier loads the boat accelerating out of his (or her) turn between the balls. This is my first inboard, at first I thought it was bent running gear until I did a little research. I have had other pleasure boats before with OB and IO; never competition ski boats. I have experienced fighting the skier all the way through the course and trying to keep the boat centered down the lane. From info on this forum it seems possible to "tune" the amount of pull by grinding on one side of the rudder or the other... I'm gonna leave it like it is. I'm 6'4", 250# and ski on a 67" slalom. When I load the boat you feel it. I want whoever is driving for me to keep it as straight as possible.

Olaff
07-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Haven't relocated or installed the forward bilge pump yet. I'm brainstorming how to make it so I can go from 2 pumps to one hose so I don't have to drill a 2nd thru-hull. I'm thinking if one is pushing water and the other isn't, it might just backflow on the dry one once the water gets past the "Y". May have to set up a little "experiment" on the R&D workbench.
I trailer the boat out and store in the garage. Even though I pull both plugs on the ramp and let her drain, I have found that once I'm back at the house if I get the kids to sit on the swim platform and lift the trailer tongue until the rudder touches the garage floor i always get a quart or two that is draining back from up front. With the wood frame of our boats I don't want a couple quarts of water just hanging out in the bilge.

81mastercraft
07-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Your close enough to bring that baby down to Buckeye Bash 5 in August.

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Where an when is this bash at? what happens there?

Double D
07-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Where an when is this bash at? what happens there?

Glad you asked!! This is the fifth year for this grass roots event and this year will be even bigger. The lake we use is just North of Columbus, Ohio. Here is a link to the main thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=59780
and my signature has a link to the facebook page that has all the previous years pictures and video's.

The main day is still Saturday, August 16th with hanging out on Sunday, but this year we are extending it one extra day, Friday August 15th, and having a Wade Cox ski clinic which could be pulled behind a new ProStar!! (Stay Tuned) This Wade Cox clinic will also extend into Saturday morning so make sure you sign up for a spot.

Most questions can be answered through the thread and updates are on facebook as well. Stay tuned over the next month for more details, t-shirt requests and much more.

Here is the original brochure before we locked in Wade Cox...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=108498&d=1396380589

81mastercraft
07-22-2014, 08:26 AM
That sounds fun!

81mastercraft
07-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know where I can get new hinges for my engine cover?