PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Cover - Unexpected release

93ProStar205
11-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Was stealing some extra time on the lake this season yesterday, and as I pulled up to the dock, noticed a pencil-wide stream of warm water run down my carpet from the motor box. Opened the box, and instant fire hose wetting down me, the boat, etc. Essentially, the four screws holding the raw water pump cover had backed off and released the plate. LOTS of water under pressure. Guess I am a dumb___ for not checking that periodically during the season. . .

Long story short, only about 2" of water in the bilge, no over heat, no blisters in the exhaust, impeller fine. Fired it back up and other than some initial sputtering (likely due to water in flame arrestor), ran fine. I always say I'd rather be lucky than good. . . this seems to be a prime example. Anybody seen this before? My second MC and never had this happen. Anybody else? Should I worry about the alternator/starter?

88 PS190
11-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Shouldn't do much to anything just let the alternator and starter dry out before using them too much, pretty strong items.

You could try using some threadlock on the screws. Keeps things tight.