PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Stock Ballast 2006 X9

h2oski89
05-30-2014, 10:10 PM
We picked up our 2006 X9 last summer and this past weekend we surfed for the first time. After one weekend we are hooked, my wife even loves it so now I've hit the jackpot :)

Right now I have the stock ballast and I want more. I'm looking for any recommendations on setup/configuration. I've read through every ballast post I can find and see a lot of people keep adding bags and moving around so if I could get it right with one purchase that would be great.

I was looking at ballast bags on Wakemakers and was thinking of taking the stock 350 pound bag that is across the rear and putting it in the ski locker then getting a new bag across the rear and a second bag alongside the engine up the port side.

I'd like to take advantage of my built in pumps and doing the overflow method to fill the second rear bag. I was thinking my options are either 750/900/1100 pound bag across the rear and 750/900/1100 pounds on the port side alongside the engine. Do I go big and just get two 1100 pound bags?

Any 209/X9 owners out there that have dialed in their wakes??? Thanks in advance!

h2oski89
06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Bump, any advice?

I'm thinking of going with two 900 pound bags, one across the back and the other up the side of the engine and put the stock 350 pound bag from the rear in the ski locker.

CruisinGA
06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
The W707 is a good fit for the back. It is a 750 lb bag. Fits under the seat up to half full and if you want to fill it all the way have to remove or raise the back seat.

I don't think you will get a significant amount more water in the front ballast. Not to mention it won't have all three ports at one end.

SO, I would leave the front alone, get the W707 for the back seat and use the stock rear bag for the beside the engine bag.

EarlyriserX9
06-06-2014, 10:59 AM
We picked up our 2006 X9 last summer and this past weekend we surfed for the first time. After one weekend we are hooked, my wife even loves it so now I've hit the jackpot :)

Right now I have the stock ballast and I want more. I'm looking for any recommendations on setup/configuration. I've read through every ballast post I can find and see a lot of people keep adding bags and moving around so if I could get it right with one purchase that would be great.

I was looking at ballast bags on Wakemakers and was thinking of taking the stock 350 pound bag that is across the rear and putting it in the ski locker then getting a new bag across the rear and a second bag alongside the engine up the port side.

I'd like to take advantage of my built in pumps and doing the overflow method to fill the second rear bag. I was thinking my options are either 750/900/1100 pound bag across the rear and 750/900/1100 pounds on the port side alongside the engine. Do I go big and just get two 1100 pound bags?

Any 209/X9 owners out there that have dialed in their wakes??? Thanks in advance!

In our X9 we left the stock ballast and added an 1100lb Fly High next to the motor box on whichever side we were surfing. It was enough to put the rub rail within inches of the water when underway. I would caution you on putting additional weight under the ski locker. I'm sure you've noticed it can be easy to take waves over the bow if your not careful. Adding more weight toward the front would only increase this risk. Just my thoughts.

As for utilizing the stock pumps via a "piggy back" system... i really don't see how this would be feasible on the X9. I have the piggy back on my x30, but everything is hidden. In the case of the x9, the bag will be in the floor. My suggestion is to buy a Tsunami 1200 and fill the 1100 when needed, then throw the ballast bag under the observer seat when you aren't surfing.

Lastly, when you go to wakeboard, leave that stock rear ballast empty and throw the 1100lb bag under the rear seat. You will get a killer wakeboard wake! These comments are based off my experience. Others may have different thoughts. Have fun!

h2oski89
06-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, I haven't dipped the bow under a wave yet but my wife has gotten really close. I'm going with Earlyriserx9's advice and order the 1100 pound bag, use the stock ballast, and a pump that way I can move the bag from one side to the other. My oldest is a lefty so he'll be riding starboard!