PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 209 hour meter

franciscolalas
05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
On my 2004 Prostar 209 with medallion gauges the hour meter is not recording engine hours properly, it's recording less than what it's supposed. Any clues? Is it the TACHOMETER or the Medallion ECU?

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
On my 2004 Prostar 209 with medallion gauges the hour meter is not recording engine hours properly, it's recording less than what it's supposed. Any clues? Is it the TACHOMETER or the Medallion ECU?

Thanks

I would suspect the hour meter in the tachometer is failing.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 04:07 PM
It's the tachometer itself where the hours are counted. There are apparently no provisions to directly adjust the hour count on a new tach either. The older tachs just counted hours when power was on (i.e. Key in the run position) but the newer ones only count hours when they receive a 300+ rpm tach signal. Not sure what year that changed or how a new, off the shelf medallion tach would work. If it's the former then you can just connect install the tach, connect your battery to a charger, and leave the key in the run position for XXX hours until the clock matched your actual hours. If it's the latter then you need a sine wave generator to simulate the engine actually running. There's a thread on here about how one guy made one.

You could just replace the tach and make a note of the hours at the time of the change. Real hours will be logged in the ecu and can be pulled by the dealer.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Oh, and when I said ECU I mean the engine control unit. The computer for the gauges is the MDC, not the ECU as you implied in the OP.