PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Grizzly May Lose Endangered Status

milkmania
11-16-2005, 10:36 PM
great news!

HELENA, Mont., Nov. 15 - The Yellowstone grizzly bear, one of the first and most controversial animals to be protected by the Endangered Species Act, is fully recovered, and it is time to remove the stringent safeguards it has had for three decades, federal officials said Tuesday.

the rest of the story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/national/16grizzly.html

88 PS190
11-16-2005, 11:36 PM
what about the reintroduced wolf populations?

Big Spray
11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Really, is this for sure?

That's too bad for the Grizzly, but I guess its good for property developers.

Big Spray
11-16-2005, 11:54 PM
"If you don't protect the habitat, it doesn't matter how many bears you have - you'll lose them," said Lance F. Craighead, executive director of the Craighead Environmental Research Institute in Bozeman, who maps grizzly bear habitat.

In the 1960's, the Yellowstone bears were hurt by habitat loss. But they were driven to the brink of extinction when the Park Service closed garbage dumps where bears fed. Bears that refused to return to a natural regimen were shot, and from 1969 to 1971, the Park Service killed more than 200 bears, reducing them to perilously low levels and resulting in their listing as threatened. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It might do us well to remember that the Grizzly's range once extended from Alsaka through Canada and farther south than Yellowstone. That's not to say that this is practical today but Yellowstone and 600 bears is but a meager shadow of what once was.

The article omits to mention that the garbage dumps that the park service closed were created by those same officials to attract bears for the enjoyment of tourists in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

People aren't so smart.

Ryan
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I hope they leave them endangered. Otherwise, they'll likely be right back on the list once huntin' takes it's toll.

milkmania
11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I hope they leave them endangered. Otherwise, they'll likely be right back on the list once huntin' takes it's toll.

I agree.

The reason I said it was great news was because of the impact of this.
Something was endangered because of man, and now it's not considered endangered anymore, because of man.

oh yeah, what would be considered endangered is probably pretty subjective....
600 still seems like a low number.

mcprostar197
11-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Yah, it would be good news if people didnt hunt and kill the bears and build massive houses where the bears live. Killing bears is terrible. Nothing justifies ever shooting one. If the bears are romping around the woods near a town, too f*ckin bad, it was probobly their ancestors home before it was humans home....