PDA

View Full Version : On trailer stringer replacement?

Tailwind58
05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
I have a barn find 78 SnS (my barn) that has needed stringer replacement for so long I can't remember. Been sitting for 25yrs and wife says it needs to go. NOT! So to get to my question can a guy restringer a boat on the trailer? Don't have the resources to put on styrofoam or whatnot. Just a factory MC trailer (the one with the pan ugh). Input appreciated.

Cloaked
05-18-2014, 09:24 PM
I have a barn find 78 SnS (my barn) that has needed stringer replacement for so long I can't remember. Been sitting for 25yrs and wife says it needs to go. NOT! So to get to my question can a guy restringer a boat on the trailer? Don't have the resources to put on styrofoam or whatnot. Just a factory MC trailer (the one with the pan ugh). Input appreciated.
I don't see a reason that you couldn't. One may get tired of climbing in and out or up and down a trailer but otherwise, the hull doesn't know on what it is sitting. The bunks (made for the boat) should hold the hull in place for reconstruction.

Keep the pan. It is original (as you know) and they are few and far between. If you really don't like it, sell it to me.

Bellinghamster
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I re-stringered mine on my trailer. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23492&highlight=stringers
Just make sure it's sitting straight and the trailer isn't twisted, as the hull gets a little floppy once the old ones are removed. You definitely don't want to stiffen it back up with new stringers while its sitting with a twist. Park on the level, then use a carpenters level across the deck at the stern, mid and in front of the windshield. I put jackstands under the back of my trailer and blocks under the bow of the boat to take some (not all) weight off the front of the trailer bunks to keep them from pressing into the hull.

Have fun!