PDA

View Full Version : SCUBA testing on Oahu?

NeilM
11-16-2005, 03:10 PM
My wife and I are going to be running in the Honolulu Marathon on Dec 11 (first full marathon for both of us :eek3: ).

We decided that we should also learn to SCUBA dive, so we've taken the course here -- all that's left for us to get our PADI cards is the actual open-water certification part. [Given that the lakes here are now 34degrees, we thought we'd do the certification while in Hawaii.]

Checking out the web produced a multitude of choices, but, does anybody have any personal recommendations?

BriEOD
11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Neil I could talk at great lengths about this. While I was their I actually taught some with Island Quest on Pearl Harbor (I'm a PADI Staff Instructor and I've been through US Navy Dive School). Unfortunately, Island Quest got bought out by Ocean Concepts (owned by two retired Marine Officers). They are pretty reputable. Ocean Concepts (http://oceanconcepts.com/OC/Page.asp?PageID=Home) If I was going to go with someone I would recommend them. This company caters more to military but are open to anyone. What ever you do, stay away from the shops downtown, they cater to Japanese tourists and their prices are way up. I have an aquanitance that does private instruction out there. He caters more to big hotels. I think he took Cindy Crawford diving while she was there. I've lost touch with him but could probably get you in touch with him if you and your wife wanted a one on one private session. He's a good guy.

In December you'll probably go to the east side of the island to electric beach, or west side to the blow hole. The north shore will be ripping! Or, you could do a boat dive. Hit the YO257 wreck off Waikiki. I've probably got over 20 hours of bottom time on that thing. Their is a good size white tip that hangs out there. Shoot me a PM or email if you want to discuss it further. Literally I dove about every weekend I was there for 4 years.

rodltg2
11-16-2005, 05:27 PM
there no need for any license or certifications. that's just for looks. buy your own gear and just get out there and do it!

lakes Rick
11-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Neil I could talk at great lengths about this. While I was their I actually taught some with Island Quest on Pearl Harbor (I'm a PADI Staff Instructor and I've been through US Navy Dive School). Unfortunately, Island Quest got bought out by Ocean Concepts (owned by two retired Marine Officers). They are pretty reputable. Ocean Concepts (http://oceanconcepts.com/OC/Page.asp?PageID=Home) If I was going to go with someone I would recommend them. This company caters more to military but are open to anyone. What ever you do, stay away from the shops downtown, they cater to Japanese tourists and their prices are way up. I have an aquanitance that does private instruction out there. He caters more to big hotels. I think he took Cindy Crawford diving while she was there. I've lost touch with him but could probably get you in touch with him if you and your wife wanted a one on one private session. He's a good guy.

In December you'll probably go to the east side of the island to electric beach, or west side to the blow hole. The north shore will be ripping! Or, you could do a boat dive. Hit the YO257 wreck off Waikiki. I've probably got over 20 hours of bottom time on that thing. Their is a good size white tip that hangs out there. Shoot me a PM or email if you want to discuss it further. Literally I dove about every weekend I was there for 4 years.

Ya mean like a white tip SHARK.. Thats where I would stay away from... Like skiing with alligators and water moccasins......

Isn't there a sub sunk there by the Navy?? Seems as if its almost a touch deep for recreational diving......

Farmer Ted
11-16-2005, 06:32 PM

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, Dude you're my hero.

Do it Neil, you won't regret it!

BriEOD
11-16-2005, 06:33 PM
there no need for any license or certifications. that's just for looks. buy your own gear and just get out there and do it!

While I sort of agree that you pay a lot of money for certifications (PADI- put another dollar in), your taking your life in your own hands by not having any training. I certainly wouldn't recommend just going out and doing it. Also, if you ever want to do anything other than beach dives, or go off your own boat you won't be able to. They always ask for "C" card.

Farmer Ted
11-16-2005, 06:35 PM
While I sort of agree that you pay a lot of money for certifications (PADI- put another dollar in), your taking your life in your own hands by not having any training. I certainly wouldn't recommend just going out and doing it. Also, if you ever want to do anything other than beach dives, or go off your own boat you won't be able to. They always ask for "C" card.

Good luck getting air without a card. When I worked at Kadena Marina that's the first thing we asked for before we jammed anyone's tanks. What they did with the tank after it was filled was on them. Giving a tank to an uncertified person, who ends up dead = manslaughter

BriEOD
11-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Ya mean like a white tip SHARK.. Thats where I would stay away from... Like skiing with alligators and water moccasins......

Isn't there a sub sunk there by the Navy?? Seems as if its almost a touch deep for recreational diving......

Nah, it's all good Rick. It's only like a 3 or 4 footer. They won't mess with you. Now if I saw a Tiger Shark (which has known to happen in Hawaii) I would be walking on water. Those babies are aggressive.

Not sure about that one Rick. The YO257 is in about 60-80 feet of water (depending on what side you get on). All the panels have been removed so you can swim through it. It's about 2-3 miles off Waikiki Beach.

Their is an awesome dive off of Koko head. Their is a Corsair plane that went down. Unfortunatley it's in about 105' of water so it's a short dive and probably not for novices. Their is a Green Moray Eel that lives in the cockpit. It's one of my favorite dives.

BriEOD
11-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Good luck getting air without a card. When I worked at Kadena Marina that's the first thing we asked for before we jammed anyone's tanks. What they did with the tank after it was filled was on them. Giving a tank to an uncertified person, who ends up dead = manslaughter
Excellent point Tim.

Man, now I'm really missing diving. The wife and I went to the Caymans last summer and it was awesome wall diving.

Farmer Ted
11-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Excellent point Tim.

Man, now I'm really missing diving. The wife and I went to the Caymans last summer and it was awesome wall diving.

I really took it for granted when I lived in Okinawa, I helped a guy with classes in exchange for certs, got half way through Divemaster and lost all intrest in diving. Really wish I had stayed with it.

I've got a new in '96 US Divers Monitor 2 that still has the test dives from the factory.

Are you still active? I bet once you get to Florida you will!

BriEOD
11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I was big time into it when I was in Hawaii. Before I married the wife I lived with 3 other guys and 2 of them were big time into it as well. We got into nitrox, blending our own tanks, decompression diving, you name it. Also, while I was there I spent 6 weeks at the Navy Dive school at Pearl Harbor. It was very challenging but cool to have done it. We really went a lot back than, after work, weekends, Christmas day. Good times. I've got a nice Uwvatec computer and some Poseidon regulators.

NeilM
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Brian, sent you an email via TT.
I sent an email to Ocean Concepts - thanks for that - no reply yet.

As far as one-on-one goes, it'd be two on one (my wife and I), and whether or not I'm interested is entirely related to the cost. I'm sure that Cindy Crawford can afford to pay a lot more than I can. Any other tips you have on "must see" in Hawaii (never been there) would be great.

Rodtlg: I assume you were joking -- if you weren't, what did I do to you:D

Farmer Ted: Wife and I figure if we don't 'go for it' now (I'm 52), we'll regret it later. Kids can look after us when we're old and totally depleted their inheritance! Thanks for the vote of confidence..
---
Some friends think we're pretty nuts: taking up wakeboarding; running our first marathon; and learning to scuba at 50+. In fact, one asked me "don't you think you're to old for this nonsense? Why don't you just drive the boat and leave the rest for the kids? You look like misfits".
Well, if that's nuts, so be it. My mom waterskiied until her arthritis prevented her from doing so at age 67 - I hope to top that.
I don't know: Team Talk: Are we nuts???

rodltg2
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM

i hope you know i was just kidding. anyone evr use there own boat to go diving. couple years back we used my brendella and dove tahoe.

bcampbe7
11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Brian, sent you an email via TT.
I sent an email to Ocean Concepts - thanks for that - no reply yet.

As far as one-on-one goes, it'd be two on one (my wife and I), and whether or not I'm interested is entirely related to the cost. I'm sure that Cindy Crawford can afford to pay a lot more than I can. Any other tips you have on "must see" in Hawaii (never been there) would be great.

Rodtlg: I assume you were joking -- if you weren't, what did I do to you:D

Farmer Ted: Wife and I figure if we don't 'go for it' now (I'm 52), we'll regret it later. Kids can look after us when we're old and totally depleted their inheritance! Thanks for the vote of confidence..
---
Some friends think we're pretty nuts: taking up wakeboarding; running our first marathon; and learning to scuba at 50+. In fact, one asked me "don't you think you're to old for this nonsense? Why don't you just drive the boat and leave the rest for the kids? You look like misfits".
Well, if that's nuts, so be it. My mom waterskiied until her arthritis prevented her from doing so at age 67 - I hope to top that.
I don't know: Team Talk: Are we nuts???

I for one don't think your nuts.
I think it is awesome that you do those things.
Running a marathon is not a small accomplishment at any age.
I am 28 and couldn't run a marathon if my life depended on it...