PDA

View Full Version : camper shell

rodltg2
11-16-2005, 01:12 PM
im thinking about adding a camper shell on my dodge 2500. i would like to be able to keep my stuff like my ski equipment in the back without high risk of getting swiped. does anyone know if a camper shell will improve, worsen, or make no difference to gas mileage?

RackAtak
11-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I have a hard tonneau on mine and did not notice any change in mileage. It's a great cover until you have to put something large in the bed of your truck.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 01:23 PM
im thinking about adding a camper shell on my dodge 2500. i would like to be able to keep my stuff like my ski equipment in the back without high risk of getting swiped. does anyone know if a camper shell will improve, worsen, or make no difference to gas mileage?
When you say camper shell, are you talking about one you could sleep in.
Or a regular truck cap.
I have a Leer, Id guess there is no change. One because it is heavy, but it may make up the difference in wind resistance (if any). I drove this year about 4 months without it, (it was being replaced under warranty) and did not notice any difference in MPG.
Leer has some cool add-ons. Mine has a Yakima Rack system that has adaptable features for about anything you could think of. I'd bet they could be put on the inside too and be able to hang your equipment from so it is out of the elements, and less likely to be taken.

Andyg
11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Rod,
What about Tonneau covers? There is one made by Pace Edwards called the Jack Rabbit, Jack_Rabbit (http://www.pace-edwards.com/jackrabbit.asp) I have one on my F150 and love it.

Ric
11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I've thought of your idea too, Rodl and I've always read that trucks aerodynamics are a "bubble" and that a tonneau or a cap won't change the mileage like a cabover etc would. Dont have firsthand experience other than to say, dropping my tailgate doesn't change my mileage on my bigole truck.
Let us know what you get
my ideal would be a color matched cap that you could open the windows on the side in an upward motion like you do on the rear glass. This would allow me to get to stuff in the front of the bed without crawling in there which looks like it would be a hassle.

RobertT
11-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Get the Leer shell. Its the best. I believe that the marginal increases in efficiency due to less wind resistance will be at least largely offset by the fact that you will be carrying much more weight.

So what, put your fun stuff in the back and go with it.

Its a great way to go. I used to have the same system, but now have a Suburban and use it for the same purpose.

Don't forget, you can always add a plywood false floor with a lockable door to lock things up.

maristarman
11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
I've had two different full size trucks, both with snug top shells.

Didn't change my mileage at all.

Never had a problem with things getting stolen out of them.

Of course, where you live probably has a lot to do with that.

There are so many different manufacturers/designs to chose from.

Shop around first.

Go with whatever one meets your needs best.

rodltg2
11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
yeah, i meant a shell not a camper. i like the idea of the jack rabbit but i may need more room for taller items.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
And the cap's rear window is a good place to keep your DECALS!!:banana:

RobertT
11-16-2005, 03:41 PM
When I had mine, I simply made a 3/4" plywood false bottom 9" above the bed. I then made a flip down "door" on the back of it, with a pad lock location. I had large pull out thingys in it, and would lock it up if needed. Its great for guns and such, but truth is that somebody has just as hard of a time breaking into a current model shell as the cab of your truck.

What I liked about it was that I could keep my core gear in the back of my truck 100% of the time (stuff like an extra change of clothes, a swimsuit, a few folding chairs for kids soccer games, fishing pole, etc), yet still have a full sized bed to use.

I bought a rubber bed liner from Autozone, and glued it down onto the plywood.

I dont have any pictures, but this company does similar things....

http://www.tygartriver.com/bedstorage.cfm

It really is a great way to go.

JDK
11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
does anyone know if a camper shell will improve, worsen, or make no difference to gas mileage?

I had an F150 that got 1-2 mpg better mileage on the highway with the shell installed.
You'll probably loose any highway savings (and probably more) with your city driving though.....the one I had followed the lines of the truck nicely, but it was darn heavy.

Cloaked
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Leer
Frameless windows, fold back front window, carpeted inside, prewired inside light, center latch (or side / side latch), fold out rear windows (small air vent windows with screens), and custom color painted.

Here's a pic of the the setup that I currently have. I couldn't do without a topper (or a diesel burner). Mileage improvement doesn't play for me. I like the versatility of a top.

rodltg2
11-18-2005, 11:06 PM
looks good. i havent had the time to research cost for one yet. what am i looking at for one like yours

Cloaked
11-18-2005, 11:12 PM
You should be able to find a dealer to work with you for around $1400 if I recall correctly. I have a good friend in Bloomington, IL that will hook you up upon a friendly call from Sporty. He can have you one ordered and delivered (to his place) in two weeks and takes about 2 hours for the install, wiring included, price all-inclusive. I think he got this top for me at his cost right at $1050 (IIRC).

Just go frameless windows and fiberglass shell whatever you decide.

The fold down front window allows for cleaning the windows between the cab and the top without removing the top. It folds inward toward the inside of the topper. Best $100.00 option in which I have invested.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2005, 12:29 AM
My Leer ( I think it is an XQ)
Mine has no hinges on the side glass, one piece folds out on a crank.
I ordered mine with the front fold down glass(for easy cleaning), removable side glass screens, carpet, lockable Yakima Rack system, matching paint, bed rail skirting, lockable twist handle for rear glass and in cab & rear access interior lighting package.
I think I forked over $1900.00 for mine.

Cloaked
11-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Nice looking rig W4T..... A nice looking machine indeed... :headbang:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Nice looking rig W4T..... A nice looking machine indeed... :headbang:
Thanks. She has treated me VERY well.
Too bad she sits in the garage now. As of a month ago, she has become the "OFFICIAL TOW RIG" of my family & toys. I wish I had a bigger garage to park it inside with the trailers attached... Would be that much quicker out the door for a blast. Makes me think its time to move again.....

jimmer2880
11-20-2005, 02:22 PM
My buddy owns this company

http://www.truck-tool-box.com/

I have one of his hitch boxes (actually, that's my jeep and pregnant wife on his web-page) and one of his bed-boxes. Best money I ever spent.

I had the bed-box on a trailer for a while. I was able to put my John Deere 318 garden tractor (20 hp) with 200lbs worth of suitcase weights & hydraulic dumping bagger on top without any problems (I put a 3/4 sheet of plywood on top of the bed-box first to dist the weight).

I use both boxes to store ski gear in summer & winter. The hitch-box stays on the Jeep pretty much 24x7 as it's awesome to be able to have that much locking storage in a soft-top Jeep!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-25-2005, 03:42 PM
FWIW,

I saw a segment on the show "mythbusters". They did a wind tunnel type experiment on a pickup truck. Tailgate open and closed to see what would be more efficient.
What they found was a spiraling vortex type wind was created in the bed with it up. Forcing the air up and over the tailgate creating very little to no pressure on the bed or gate.
They found with the gate open, the wind was forced down onto the tailgate, adding alot of unnecessary and unwanted downforce, essentially causing less efficiency.

I was able to get all that by watching for about a minute. Less time that it took to do the experiment I am sure....:D
See, watching TV could save me money!!

Ric
11-28-2005, 09:02 AM
My Leer ( I think it is an XQ)
Mine has no hinges on the side glass, one piece folds out on a crank.
I ordered mine with the front fold down glass(for easy cleaning), removable side glass screens, carpet, lockable Yakima Rack system, matching paint, bed rail skirting, lockable twist handle for rear glass and in cab & rear access interior lighting package.
I think I forked over $1900.00 for mine.
I like that look WT.
are you saying the entire side window folds out on a crank or just a section of the window?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-28-2005, 09:37 AM
I like that look WT.
are you saying the entire side window folds out on a crank or just a section of the window?
It's mounted solid in the front and top. Its on a crank at the back lower corner. So it sort of folds outward at the rear and bottom. So the top and front stays tight, and the rear vents. If I were looking for alot of air, I'd remove the front window, or fold it down and then open the sides. No slider. The sides also have full size screens.
I really have yet to find one I like better or looks more like it belongs.

rodltg2
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
i think i have narrowed down my search. ive decided i dont want a shell because i would like to be able to take it off easily and often. i was looking at a retracable tonneuao cover but i will lose about 10 12-" of bed space. i found this one at the local 4wheel dr. shop and it only weighs 58lbs and its apparenlty easy to take on and off. anyone have one?

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

AirJunky
12-06-2005, 08:26 PM
I had one of these tonneau covers on my Dakota for about 2 yrs. The biggest problem with them is that you get somewhere & you need to stick something in the back & it's only like 2' tall but you can't do it because of that damn tonneau. Yea, you can take it off, but if you don't plan that little detail ahead of time, you screwed.

So I traded it for a locking canopy. Now I use one of these things to lift the canopy off the truck. Takes about 5 or 10 min.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPER-SHELL-PICKUP-TRUCK-GARAGE-STORAGE-HOIST-LIFT_W0QQitemZ4424425389QQcategoryZ300QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rodltg2
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
i doubt i will have that problem.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
i think i have narrowed down my search. ive decided i dont want a shell because i would like to be able to take it off easily and often. i was looking at a retracable tonneuao cover but i will lose about 10 12-" of bed space. i found this one at the local 4wheel dr. shop and it only weighs 58lbs and its apparenlty easy to take on and off. anyone have one?

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/
My buddy has one similar on his Harley Davidson F250. It works good for what he does with it, but he is glad he also has a van for hauling. It doesn't like being open when driving.

Cloaked
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I can have my topper off in 5 minutes or less. Remove 6 thru-bolts, step under the top, lift and slide it into a rack, walking it right off of the bed / tailgate. Done deal.

Each to their own...... :headbang:

PendO
12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I had one of these tonneau covers on my Dakota for about 2 yrs. The biggest problem with them is that you get somewhere & you need to stick something in the back & it's only like 2' tall but you can't do it because of that damn tonneau. Yea, you can take it off, but if you don't plan that little detail ahead of time, you screwed.

So I traded it for a locking canopy. Now I use one of these things to lift the canopy off the truck. Takes about 5 or 10 min.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPER-SHELL-PICKUP-TRUCK-GARAGE-STORAGE-HOIST-LIFT_W0QQitemZ4424425389QQcategoryZ300QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bill, must be a Pacific Northwest thing ... my toneau cover was replaced with a cannopy for the same reason ... but they do look nice!

Cloaked
12-06-2005, 10:09 PM
POS, I'll agree, they do look nice.....

ski_king
12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I got one of these.
http://www.extang.com/docs/graphics/fulltilt/3ways2.jpg
come off easily if you know you need it off ahead of time. If not just roll up the vinyl and lay the supports in the front of the bed.

If security is a issue, better stay with a hard top.

The sell for about $375, but I got mine on ebay new for less than $200.

First one lasted me 7 years.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I can have my topper off in 5 minutes or less. Remove 6 thru-bolts, step under the top, lift and slide it into a rack, walking it right off of the bed / tailgate. Done deal.

Each to their own...... :headbang:

I hang mine from the ceiling in the garage when I need it off. 6 C-clamps. two 6' 2X4's with eyebolts at each end, slide them under, and strap it up. It could take me about 5 minutes, 4 of which are finding the wrench to loosen the clamps. I think I had two take it off twice since I bought it though, but it is an easy option for me.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
i finally made up my my mind and i decided to get a shell instead of the lid. here is the pic...

André
01-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice.
Is the tailgate window on the alarm system?

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
no not yet, i just had it put on tuesday.

erkoehler
01-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Looks good man....I know it was a tough decision!

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
thanks! has abyone built cusotm boxes in the bed. i want to carpet the floor and build some boxes to hold my boat cleaning stuff, tools and other essentials.

Ric
01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
i finally made up my my mind and i decided to get a shell instead of the lid. here is the pic...
very nice! what did it set you back if you don't mind sayin?

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:29 PM
more than i thought but compared to a lid cover not so bad. 1300 installed

erkoehler
01-05-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks! has abyone built cusotm boxes in the bed. i want to carpet the floor and build some boxes to hold my boat cleaning stuff, tools and other essentials.

Have you ever seen one of those rolling floor beds? You could probably build some dividers right in side on of those for all your different stuff!

Ric
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
rodl, for that amount, you got a match painted shell installed (wiring and all)? or, did you get some sort of bedliner along with?
Also, does your shell have a carpeted type of headliner or what is on the underside?
sorry for all the q's but I'm considering it myself

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
match painted, carpet headliner, drop down slide window and installed with wiring

Cloaked
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
match painted, carpet headliner, drop down slide window and installed with wiringLooks very nice rod... I think you made the right choice.... Good job indeed.

Hoosier Bob
01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Play fair Sporty! Can't see you but you can post! I always wanted to be invisible! :D
Looks very nice rod... I think you made the right choice.... Good job indeed.

Cloaked
01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Play fair Sporty! Can't see you but you can post! I always wanted to be invisible! :D;) :wave:

I'm just a lurker at heart... LOL....

AirJunky
01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
match painted, carpet headliner, drop down slide window and installed with wiring
Nice rig.
What is a "drop down slide window"?

Cloaked
01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Nice rig.
What is a "drop down slide window"?The shell's front sliding window drops down to the inside of the shell for easy access cleaning of both cab and shell windows. A very nice feature.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
plus it makes it easier to pass beers up to the cabin!

André
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
;) :wave:

I'm just a lurker at heart... LOL....
So it's not like your ashamed of the time you spend here ? :D

Cloaked
01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
So it's not like your ashamed of the time you spend here ? :D Yes that is it. It is like that... :uglyhamme

AirJunky
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
The shell's front sliding window drops down to the inside of the shell for easy access cleaning of both cab and shell windows. A very nice feature.
Any pics or websites to check out? Manufacturer's name?

jimmer2880
01-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Why build, when you can buy....

http://www.truck-tool-box.com/

It's a buddy of mine's shop. He does real good work, and these things are indestructable.

rodltg2
01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
do they have carpeted ones? didnt see them on their site

jimmer2880
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
do they have carpeted ones? didnt see them on their site

no, but it wouldn't be hard to glue some carpet on top....

jimmer2880
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
no, but it wouldn't be hard to glue some carpet on top....

Actually, I think if it were me, I'd buy a piece of 3/8" plywood, or whatever & carpet that. Then, you can remove it easily if you want to set something damaging on top (like a load of stone, steel, etc.)

Check out the pic where he has a HUGE Generator/Welder sitting on top. Amazing. I had mine mounted on a 6x10 utility trailer for a summer. I parked my John Deere 318 on top!

Cloaked
01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Any pics or websites to check out? Manufacturer's name?Mine is a Leer topper.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I was going to do the same but..... I worked with a guy that lined the bed with plywood then carpeted it. It was nice until the first time he put something on it that leaked a fluid. Oil I think, He ripped it all out and tossed it never to do that again.

Scot
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Here is my son's 94'... We just added a Pro Comp 6 inch lift with 35's. I had the shell hanging in the garage for many years and decided to put it on.... It's clicking past the 225k mile mark! All original engine and tranny, knock on wood.... Not a bad ride for a highschool senior!

Cloaked
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Nice looking machine.

rodltg2
01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I was going to do the same but..... I worked with a guy that lined the bed with plywood then carpeted it. It was nice until the first time he put something on it that leaked a fluid. Oil I think, He ripped it all out and tossed it never to do that again.

i saw this carpet that is supposedly water, oil, and gas proof. about 400 to line the bottom and sides.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
It cost me about that to have mine rhino'd.