PDA

View Full Version : keyless remote range?

milkmania
11-15-2005, 11:42 PM
what's you range on the keyless remote for your vehicle?
which vehicle?

The reason I'm asking....
I moved a lady's Ford Expedition and her range was like 150 feet
but my chevy's ranges are like 20 feet or less with good batteries.

I checked with my brother in law, his Ford does great, but his Chevy sucks also.

does anyone know where the receiving sensors are on the Chevrolet's?
Brother in law says there's are two little bumps on the dash of the Tahoe and one on his Ford truck.
mine don't have any "bumps" presumably receivers, but there's extra circuitry in the mirror mounts of my suburbans.

also, where are the temperature sensors for the mirrors on the 95 & 97 Suburbans?
The compasses work fine, and I've tried the manual to set the temperature to display, but I don't know if these have that option.
but when I either turn the mirror off or start the vehicle, the LCD displays 00 with the farenheit and celcius symbols, then settles down into compass mode.
the guys at the Chevrolet dealership are clueless, because they're older trucks.....:(

sizzler
11-16-2005, 03:29 AM
wierd but true.........put your remote to your head and press the button.....the range is increased at least double........

try it

ski_king
11-16-2005, 08:00 AM
................his Ford does great, but his Chevy sucks also............
I think you answered your own question.

Cary K.
11-16-2005, 08:08 AM
wierd but true.........put your remote to your head and press the button.....the range is increased at least double........

try it

That is what I do when my batteries get weak or if I am really far away. I put the remote under my chin, and hit the button. I have aftermarket keyless entry w/ vehicle starter, and usually works pretty well.

Hoff1
11-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I can usually pop my locks from a 100 feet or so if the view is unobstructed. I have a 01 Grand Cherokee. My 97 Grand Cherokee starting getting worse and worse as the days went on, and eventually would only work around 10-20 feet. Could try and replace your battery.

mitch
11-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Mine seems to be better than a 150 ft on my Ford. You just came me yet another reason to not buy a Chevy 8p

dog paw
11-16-2005, 08:59 AM
I tryed to find the bulliten quick but to no avail. If memory serves I think 30ft or better is GM's view of OK. The antenna is in the recever itself. I'd have to know what it is to tell you where it's at. "Sometimes" replacing the recever will help.

dog paw
11-16-2005, 09:02 AM
OH LOL! If you guys want to play the Ford Chevy game It's like comparing a tandy to a IBM when it comes to there electronics hehe

bcampbe7
11-16-2005, 09:52 AM

try it

I have been telling people this for years. They just look at you funny when you tell them to put the remote under your chin and try it...
Works great though.

Anyone know why or how it works? Does your head become an antenae for the remote? It doesn't work on your hand though. At least mine doesn't.

BrianM
11-16-2005, 09:53 AM
The remote on my '03 GMC truck works from pretty far out. About 75 - 100 ft. I also unlock from inside the house which is probably 30 ft with obstruction. Note: The little dome that is on the dash of the GM vehicles is not a remote sensor. It is a light sensor for the automatic headlights.

My wifes '05 Subaru does even better 150 ft easy and also doesn't have any problems from in the house or when there are other obstructions.

milkmania
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
great advice guys....

well....except for the Ford vs. Chevy part:rolleyes:

I learned a few things, I forgot they had automatic lights on their Tahoe.

I'm wondering if an aftermarket system would have a larger range...boy, at 34 degrees this morning, that remote start is looking pretty darned good!:cool:

mine are '95 & a '97 Chevrolet Suburban

Leroy
11-16-2005, 11:09 AM
From my RF background when I designed RF remotes (similar technology) and 900MHz wireless headphones, yes your body is just acting as a bigger antenna. I'll have to try, you should be able to put against metal signs also.

Anyone know why or how it works? Does your head become an antenae for the remote? It doesn't work on your hand though. At least mine doesn't.

dog paw
11-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Here's a view for a 98 our system does not have pics any farther back. You need to upgrade :D Some of our older receivers had a wire antenna that you could reposition and get better reception

Pics to big??? 24kb?
Under the IP, inside the right of the right steering column support bracket

east tx skier
11-16-2005, 11:46 AM
My exped's remote smokes my honda's. But my Honda's will pop the trunk.

zberger
11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
There were times I could start my car with my old Viper 791VX system when I couldn't even see it..

That pretty much is awesome IMO.

it was at least 1500-2000 ft range.

milkmania
11-16-2005, 11:59 AM
There were times I could start my car with my old Viper 791VX system when I couldn't even see it..

That pretty much is awesome IMO.

it was at least 1500-2000 ft range.

wow, that's something to look into, I'm gonna run down to this one installer guy I know and quiz him

I don't like coming out of a store, and constantly clicking my remote until I see the interior lights come on, then I have to be sure and click the 2nd. time to get the alternate doors open.

heck, good thing it's not got one of those "car locator" features, where it chirps when you press the button, I'd never find it, unless I was standing beside it:rolleyes:

mitch
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
My exped's remote smokes my honda's. But my Honda's will pop the trunk.

My Mountaineer remote pops the back lid 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I had a Viper system in my last Ford. I had it set to roll the windows up and.or down too. It was a huge distance, even from in side buildings. I had an additional antenna added behind the rear view mirror.

I hope they have worked the bugs out of those remote start systems. I know two incidents that they failed.
One, The truck would not start at all after about 6 months. Turned out to be the system.(replaced)
Second, this girls Toyota stuck ON. Starter grinding the whole way to work, and continued until the battery was disconnected manually. Same situation, ended up being the system.
Oh well, just another one of the modern day conveniences I will live without.

bcampbe7
11-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I had a Viper system in my last Ford. I had it set to roll the windows up and.or down too. It was a huge distance, even from in side buildings. I had an additional antenna added behind the rear view mirror.

I hope they have worked the bugs out of those remote start systems. I know two incidents that they failed.
One, The truck would not start at all after about 6 months. Turned out to be the system.(replaced)
Second, this girls Toyota stuck ON. Starter grinding the whole way to work, and continued until the battery was disconnected manually. Same situation, ended up being the system.
Oh well, just another one of the modern day conveniences I will live without.

I want a system that will open my garage door, start my car, and back it out of the garage all with a single press of the button. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I want a system that will open my garage door, start my car, and back it out of the garage all with a single press of the button. :D
There is one. Ask Michael Knight!!

Platprostar
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Kind of on the same subject, has anyone locked their keys in the car and had a spare keyless remote at home pressed into a cell phone with the other cell phone next to the car to unlock it? I have heard that this will work. I tried it from around 75 yards and it worked.

bcampbe7
11-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Kind of on the same subject, has anyone locked their keys in the car and had a spare keyless remote at home pressed into a cell phone with the other cell phone next to the car to unlock it? I have heard that this will work. I tried it from around 75 yards and it worked.

My wife and I tried this from 300+ yards and it didn't work. Be a good show on Mythbusters.

Leroy, could you explain if this would or would not work?

Ric
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
hundred feet or so on mine and GM remotes look better than f'd remotes 8p

east tx skier
11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
There is one. Ask Michael Knight!!

Arnold seemed to like that feature.

NeilM
11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
My remote on my 2005 Envoy is good for about 8 feet. My wife's is good for about 25. Tried swapping batteries, no change...

Gofast
11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
No, the remote to the cell phone will not work. The remote is sending a RF freq which can not be sent through a cell phone.

or simply put...No it's wont' work.

Ryan
11-16-2005, 04:22 PM
On Click and Clack on NPR - A similar question came up.
Open your mouth and point the key fob upright using your mouth like the reflector on a satelite dish - does it improve your range? They cited that getting the antena vertical would improve range just by holding the key fob upright.

Of course I tried it. I found the mouth method actually helped on my Liberty (usually had to be within 15'). The kneck helped, but not as much. Some of you Coke Can Router guys know what I'm talking about. I bet the Statue of Liberty method would work just as well - but haven't tested. :uglyhamme

I prefer to walk closer to the car than look... well, like a goof ball. But that's just me. My Escape and 4Runner both work from around 200' through one wall, so no worries here.

Ryan
11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Was this guy anorexic or what?

east tx skier
11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Hasslehoff and Coleman's legs are interchangeable as far as diameter goes. Length is another story.

rodltg2
11-16-2005, 06:34 PM
i like the mercedes feature where you just walk up to the car and it opens by itself. get in and just push a butttin to start. all you need is the key in your pocket. they should have an implant option and you never have to carry your keys.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2005, 08:44 PM
i like the mercedes feature where you just walk up to the car and it opens by itself. get in and just push a butttin to start. all you need is the key in your pocket. they should have an implant option and you never have to carry your keys.
The last one I drove had the starter button on the shifter. That was weird.

dog paw
11-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Corvette has had the auto remotes for a while also. They are useing the push button start on the 06's now. Must be the new and trendy thing. I was reading where GM is tossing around changing the operating systems on there vehicles to keep up with the speed of things. That is going to leave a lot of techs with $5k scanner/paperweights

Workin' 4 Toys
11-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I recall a few years back, the concept cars had a CREDIT CARD style for a key to open doors and start the vehicle. I guess that never made it very far. I never saw it in a production car.
Looked like a great idea at the time.