PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!!! I need some help!!!

ksmaristar91
11-15-2005, 05:18 PM
I just went and checked up on my boat, i put it up for the winter 2 months ago. I winterized it and took all seats and cushions out, let it dry in the sun for 2 days, then dryer sheets and cover and then another tarp, and in the shed it went.

I went and looked at it today, and there is mold, and mildew all over the interior. Of course today it is 35 degrees out and i cant pull it all the way out to work on a remedy. I was going to measure for the battery rack for the stereo project, now i am sidelined and concerned. My interior was not 1st rate, but a close second, am i doomed????? Any help for the clean up and to stop this from continuing would be greatly app.....

Thanks
:eek3:

maristarman
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
clean up the mold, make sure everything is dry, and then stick a few of these in the boat.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/72979/10001/380/379/12

How many of these you need depends on which brand of dehumidifier you get.

We get 4 to 5 months of rain in the winter (no snow), and all I do is put one of these in a plastic bucket on the floor of the boat.

Every 6 weeks or so I open up the cover, drain the bucket and replace the crystals.

No mold problem.

You should be able to search on here to see the best way to clean the mold out of your boat. I know that topics been covered a few times at least.

Good luck.

ksmaristar91
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks, now i just have to stew about it till the weekend to get it clean!

Cloaked
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks, now i just have to stew about it till the weekend to get it clean!It should clean up nicely. Just don't lolly-gag about doing it. And work on your sig line... :D :D

Ric
11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
It should clean up nicely. Just don't lolly-gag about doing it. And work on your sig line... :D :D
cause if you do, you know what that'll make ya? ....... A lollygagger!

Jorski
11-16-2005, 09:18 AM
**...and cover and then another tarp**

Once you get it cleaned up, you need to make sure that air can circulate. The best isea is a cover made out of a material that breathes such as Sunbrella or canvas.

JDK
11-16-2005, 12:56 PM

JDK
11-16-2005, 01:27 PM
and cover and then another tarp, and in the shed it went.

I just re-read your post.......this is probably the problem. Don't use 2 tarps!
The air trapped between them acts as a layer of insulation, and will allow temperature differences between the air in the shed and the air under the covers. This temp. difference allows condensation.

NeilM
11-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Startthreadjack/

JDK: Yours safe from the snow and minus 20? brrrrr....

Endthreadjack/

maristarman
11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
If you shrink wrap the boat, does it have the same condensation problem?

I'd also put in one or two of those dehumidifiers.

I've been thinking about giving that a try this winter, just for something different.

bigmac
11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
I put one of these Turbo Dryers in the boat, (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=21504) along with a couple of little bags of dessicant.

Leroy
11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
If you are in a shed can't you leave the cover very loose and definitely only one? I barely drape my cover on.

ksmaristar91
11-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the input! The shed is a decent one with concrete floor, the problem lies with mice, and or cats! The owner has cats to keep the mice down. I dont think mice could get into the boat, but the thought of a tomcat, hanging out or having kittens bothered me, hence the 2 tarps. I am going to buy some of the dehyrators and loose the 2nd tarp and cross my fingers!

JDK
11-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Startthreadjack/

JDK: Yours safe from the snow and minus 20? brrrrr....

Endthreadjack/

Startthreadjackagain/
yep, locked away out of sight and out of mind. Geeeeeezzze was it cold this morning, and even colder in Regina......-29 degrees. Sucks so early.
Endthreadjackagain.